Search
Register
Iphone 4s vs Android Bionic.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

squirtisblow

I'd wait and get the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, this is google's phone. It's not several months away as redball said. Like apple makes the iphones, this is google's phone, they just have sumsung make the product. It should be out later this month on verizon. Rumours are it will be out around thanksgiving.

http://www.google.com/nexus/
Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:47 pm
redball

Oops, I'm sorry. It's several months until I get my upgrade and will probably get a Nexus. In my mind that's the release date.
Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:04 pm
squirtisblow

Haha touche. My upgrade just came up so I'm now anxiously waiting this phone. I think its going to be a great device to have for the next two years, and will keep getting updates as soon as google releases them as it will be proper vanilla android. I'm still happy with my og droid, but I think the extra ram will be great. And ICS!
Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:18 pm
Disharmony

So basically, I will probably be happy with an iphone or the droid. I don't root or anything, so an Iphone may be the way to go. I really appreciate all the feedback guyzzz.

Edit: It looks like the Nexus may be dropping on the 17th, hmmmmm.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:02 am
squirtisblow

I rooted my droid, and after reading on everything the nexus has, i don't think i'll need to root it. It looks sexy with no buttons, and that screen will probably be amazing. The beam technology would be cool if more people get the phone. I think the LED notification has a bunch of color combos too so you can assign it to certain msg, email, gmail, txt, VM, w/e other notification. The CPU is underclocked so if you ever wanted to run it at its native 1.5 GHz it would probably be just fine.I think you would still have to root for that, though. Panorama pics might be cool too. I'm curious as to the camera's quality, and the Digital Audio Converter used on the phone. I hear a lot of people are unhappy with the DAC used in the Samsung Galaxy S2 line as it gets a lot of noise interference.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:22 am
mzehe916

anomaly wrote:
this debate has been on here plenty.

iPhone won. Get an iPhone.

It did?

I bought a LG dual core recently and did a side by side test with my friend's new iphone. The dual core was faster in many ways (it was hard to tell with web browsing based on different providers). The Siri function is much better than the voice command app I downloaded, but we both admitted that pressing a button was faster than working with a voice command app. My main beef with apple is that you have to involve the itunes system. The Android OS also seems to be less "buggy." In the end they will both get you what you want...but do bear in mind that iphone is having battery usage issues and smart phones in general won't give you the 2-3 day freedom you had with the older non-smart phones (more like 8-10 hours with medium to light usage). And don't worry about sleek or bulky, you won't notice the 3mm width difference between most phones. And if you do then your pants are too tight.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:53 am
O2K
SFF has a stalker.

nexus or the droid razr.

Right now the Iphone is playing catchup. They just implemented the dual processor something androids had since the begining of the year, they just started widgets and ota updates something android phones have had since the beginning. Siri is nice but its really an upgrated version of the Google voice search. Google maps and the Android GPS is still better than anything Apple has to offer. In fact the Android GPS is probably the best GPS on the market. Not to mention plug and play, expandable memory (although the prime wont have an SD slot). Right now It's android or nothing.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:59 am
laurapalmer

I have the droid X, it is a couple of iterations old now, but running the most recent droid update.

Smooth as can be, fully baked, total workhorse and the battery life holds strong for a robust day's use.

All that said, my other phone is a droid 1, which has started failing (2 years old) and is about to be replaced.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:09 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

My 2 year old droid 1 is definitely showing signs of slowdown, and the battery life is getting worse. I have been very pleased overall and will probably upgrade to a newer model when my plan runs out soon.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:05 pm
squirtisblow

Anyone looking to upgrade their OG droid, as i am, i would highly recommend the Galaxy Nexus mentioned in this thread... due later this month, i can't wait...
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pm
Disharmony

squirtisblow wrote:
Anyone looking to upgrade their OG droid, as i am, i would highly recommend the Galaxy Nexus mentioned in this thread... due later this month, i can't wait...
It's looking like the nexus is slower than the iphone: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/100457-samsung-galaxy-nexus-prime-revealed-slower-than-the-iphone-4s-galaxy-s-ii

But this says the opposite: http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/iphone-4s-vs-galaxy-nexus-how-the-specs-compare-20111020/

My head hurts. I should go back to using cheap regular phones and just carry a tablet around with me instead.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:05 pm
Disharmony

What about the new Droid Razr? It's dropping on the 11th.
http://versusio.com/en/google-nexus-prime-vs-motorola-droid-razr

*explosion*
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:21 pm
squirtisblow

Disharmony wrote:
squirtisblow wrote:
It's looking like the nexus is slower than the iphone: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/100457-samsung-galaxy-nexus-prime-revealed-slower-than-the-iphone-4s-galaxy-s-ii

Ah, i thought this might come up. Here is the full benchmark article:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/iphone-4s-preliminary-benchmarks-800mhz-a5-slightly-slower-gpu-than-ipad-2

In those benchmarks, yea sure the 4s is faster. They are benchmarking the new iOS5 to the old currently released gingerbread OS...

The introduction of the new Ice Cream Sandwich OS that android is releasing will support GPU acceleration. This is why iOS always felt a little smoother. ICS is the first version of android to have GPU accelerated OS. Those benchmarks should change quite a bit when ICS is released and compared to the new phone. So for them to compare the brand new iOS software with an older android OS seems kind of misleading. Sure ICS isn't out yet, but its been announced (right around iOS 5 was announced), and the new Android OS is the response and competition to iOS 5. It would seem ideal to compare what's in competition...

That being said, the Nexus CPU is definitely faster than Apple's. A dual core 1.2 GHz underclocked CPU will be faster than Apple's 800 MHz dual core (which might be underclocked as well, but i'm not positive.)

The GPU on 4s IS faster than what the Nexus has. The 4s gpu is dual core as well, and is the fastest phone gpu on the market, and probably will be for a while. The thing is it's only utility really is for gaming. Apple has stated they want to make big moves into the mobile gaming market, and this is evidence for that.

Personally i don't really game on my mobile phone, my only gaming experience is when i'm immobile on a damn toilet and playing angry birds, which my droid1 can handle just fine. I don't game when i'm out and about so i don't need a gnarly 3d graphics rendering on my phone. I don't have a single 3d graphics game or want one, i just don't game on my phone. So Apple will win the OpenGL tests, i just don't think it's really relevant. Any other test and the Nexus, and other android phones with ICS, should match up to the iphone 4s.

My main gripe with the iphone is being forced to use itunes, which i loathe as software, and not being able to use my phones hard drive freely like a USB jump drive. On top of this, i use gmail as my primary email, so it just makes more sense for me to use a google phone. Everything syncs perfectly since day one with my OG droid, and i can edit my contacts in my gmail account if i want and it will sync, or calendar, and probably will work with the new google music beta as well. I use a lot of google in my daily life so having the google phone makes way more sense to me. If i had a bunch of apple products at work and at home and that's how i lived my life then i'd probably lean towards an iphone, but even still i really hate the fact that you're forced to use itunes with your phone. It's almost condescending to me.

That's my hundred cents. Sorry for any grammar errors.

*edit* perhaps i'm wrong about the Nexus being underclocked. Not sure where i picked up that info, but it was my understanding that the TI OMAP 4460 processor ran at 1.5 GHz natively.

Ah, here it states the CPU can run from 1.2 GHz - 1.5 GHz. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_OMAP
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:30 pm
squirtisblow

Pass on the Razr. As i said in one of my previous posts. The Nexus IS Google's phone. This means there's no bloatware and you don't have to wait for a third party manufacturer to decide if they want to keep updating the OS of the phone. I wouldn't want to depend on Motorola to get an update for my phone. Not only this but i've heard the screen is a bit disappointing: http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/7/2543626/motorola-droid-razr-review

When google releases a new iteration of the android OS (Froyo, Gingerbread, ICS - the equivalent of iOS3, iOS4, or iOS5), all the other companies have to conform their own version of android to comply with google's new release. It happens to a ton of people that companies don't deem it profitable to update the phone's OS with google's new release so they end up with phones that are stuck with outdated OS software. If you buy the phone Google actually releases, you won't have to wait for a third party company to make these changes. You get the updated right away from google as you'll be running their native vanilla format of the OS. This is the way google feels you should experience their OS. The OG Droid had vanilla android, the nexus S, and the nexus One had vanilla. The Galaxy Nexus is google's next iteration of their own phone. They just pay Samsung to manufacture it.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:50 pm
zeem

don't switch just yet. tomorrow, Republic wireless is announcing a $19 a month unlimited everything plan with a $99 android phone.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/07/disruptive-mobile-carrier-republic-wireless-to-sell-handsets-for-99-until-november-27/

yep.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next