Search
Register
The assassination of Al-Awlaki
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

3flip

The assassination of Al-Awlaki  Reply with quote  

Quote:

Imagine for a second that you are being hunted because of things you have said. All other evidence of any wrongdoing has been secretly shielded from public view. Drone missiles have already been fired at your presumed whereabouts numerous times but have not killed you. And one man has decided to be your judge, jury and executioner. He is the president of the country of which you are a citizen. This Kafka-esque scenario actually takes place.

On Friday, American-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki was killed by an unmanned American drone. Al-Awlaki was born in New Mexico and held dual Yemeni-American citizenship. Many in the government regarded him as al-Qaeda's top recruiter in the Arabian Peninsula and its figurehead since the death of Osama bin Laden in May. His calls for jihad and the formation of an Islamic caliphate were contrary to American principles and dangerous to American citizens.

His primary skill, due to the fact that he spoke English, was propaganda. His fiery sermons supposedly influenced the Fort Hood shooter and the Christmas Day bomber, but he had no operational or battleground experience. Beyond that, what we know about him is murky.

It is uncertain whether he ever swore an oath of allegiance to al-Qaeda and, although the White House asserts time and again that they were justified in his assassination, any evidence to back that up remains classified as a "state secret." In addition to killing a dangerous religious extremist, the United States has opened up a can of worms, setting a dangerous precedent.

Obama's authorization of al-Awlaki's targeted killing was first reported early in 2010, when his name was disclosed as being on a U.S. intelligence hit list. The American Civil Liberties Union attempted to intervene by suing the government on behalf of Nasser al-Awlaki (Anwar's father) but a judge dismissed the case.
Obama's assassination attempts continued with the help of the Yemeni government. Never mind that al-Awlaki's speech would be protected under principles set by the Supreme Court ruling in Brandenburg v. Ohio, which determined KKK members' hate speech was protected by the First Amendment. Obama's actions also contradict President Reagan's 1981 executive order that U.S. officials not engage in assassination. Lastly, the State Department attempted to revoke al-Awlaki's citizenship before finding they had no legal standing to do so.

When the United States succeeded in killing al-Awlaki, he was able to die as a martyr. He was not given a trial and due punishment. Instead, we were the ones hurt by the president's newly claimed unilateral power.

America is one of a handful of developed nations that still practices the death penalty, and an event like this serves to further show how the last decade has eradicated our once-proud ideals. If we're going to be outraged by President Bush's post-9/11 offenses, we should be apoplectic about Obama's latest example.

We can put al-Awlaki's picture on the news all we want, but the face of terrorism is not a human face that can just be assassinated. In reality, the killing of al-Awlaki's will do very little to quell al-Qaeda's threat and their will to kill Americans. The more lasting repercussions are the degradation of due process and expansion of presidential power. Beyond that lays the worst outcome of this news: the American people's silence. Our tacit consent to this assassination, and the government officials who herald it, is troublesome for our society as a whole.

As Thomas Jefferson said, "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." Let us not allow that to happen here.

http://www.nyunews.com/opinion/2011/10/05/05dinardo/

I'm surprised there has been no discussion of this yet. What does everyone think of this? I find this to be a very dangerous precedent to be set. How much more would people be talking about this if Bush was in office?
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:41 pm
O2K
SFF has a stalker.

from what i've read there has been no confirmation from his tribe in Yemen that confirms his death. He's been reported dead in the past as well.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:16 pm
3flip

As with Bin Laden, I don't see a huge incentive to lie about this...
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:27 am
O2K
SFF has a stalker.

3flip wrote:
As with Bin Laden, I don't see a huge incentive to lie about this...

I'm not saying there is a consipiracy. Not at all. Reports out of Yemen are saying that there were three vehicles that were being attacked, two of the vehicles got away. It is assumed by Al Awaki's tribesmembers and his family that he is in one of the two vehicles that got away. Al Awaki was not recognized in any of the bodies that were found. It could be that the US genuinely believe they got him, and the tribe and family believe that he got away.

If I did want to play the conspiracy card I could say something like Al Awaki has been relatively quiet for a while now, they wanted to see where he was so they orchestrated the attack, pernounced him dead so when it is reported he's alive they have his whereabouts. I doubt this is the case and it's more of the case that the US geniunely believes they got him, while his tribe and family believe that he got away. We'll see.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:04 pm
3flip

looks like we have assasinated a 16 year old american citizen

http://www.salon.com/2011/10/20/the_killing_of_awlakis_16_year_old_son/
Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:19 pm
MCGF

and with that, obama has lost all the sympathy I once had for him. fuck him. fuck these drones.
Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Jump to: