Search
Register
Don't talk to the police
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

AlexPawelczyk

Don't talk to the police  Reply with quote  

Today while browsing the calguns.net forums, I came across this interesting video. It seems to be a law school professor and former criminal defense attorney providing an extremely informative lecture to his class on why you should not, under any circumstance speak to law enforcement. I hope you all find this as informative as I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:32 am
Charlie Foxtrot

This has been posted before. I dunno, sometimes it might be to your advantage to talk to the police. If I get pulled over for speeding I'm not gonna invoke my right to remain silent. I'm gonna be nice and courteous and hope I don't get a ticket.
Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:57 am
AlexPawelczyk

My mistake for re-posting this then. The video brings up some interesting points on the subject of simple things such as traffic stops, such as not admitting you were breaking the law in regards to the speed limit. Say you're driving in a 35 mph limit zone and you were going over. Don't lie and say you were going maybe 37-38mph to keep up with traffic. That's the same as admitting you were breaking the law. Just be as respectful and courteous as possible.
Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:18 am
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

Eh I'm sure there's a lot of people on here who didn't see it the first go around. And if you haven't seen it, it's a good vid to watch
Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:47 am
Captiv8

I think that the distinction between talking to the police during a traffic stop and talking to the police when they bang on your door should be obvious. The magnitude of a traffic violation versus a criminal offense is likewise quite obvious. This is an excellent video.
Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:27 am
Confidential

I did "know your rights" workshops and this was always a point that we emphasized. The police's job is to collect evidence and make arrests. When you talk, you are waiving your right. When I first started this, I applied it to all interactions with police in order to test the waters a bit. A cop says "how's it going?" I say " I choose to remain silent." Seems like overkill at times but also neccesarry when working in sensitive situations like political activism and vulnerable populations such as homeless. When police initiate casual conversations, its an investigation tactic, not a benign pleasantry. Nowadays, though, I'm a little more measured, but I always know to ask "am I free to go?" I wish schools taught kids how to assert their rights in a manner more practical than the text book narratives offer.
Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:55 am
Bring that Beat Back

sometimes it's good to be brave and talk to them

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Captiv8

Absolutely. The look on that cop's face was priceless. Good work.
Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:59 pm

Jump to: