Search
Register
Libya.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Plum Puddin'

"One seldom mentioned fact by western politicians and media pundits: the Central Bank of Libya is 100% State Owned ... Currently, the Libyan government creates its own money, the Libyan Dinar, through the facilities of its own central bank. Few can argue that Libya is a sovereign nation with its own great resources, able to sustain its own economic destiny. One major problem for globalist banking cartels is that in order to do business with Libya, they must go through the Libyan Central Bank and its national currency, a place where they have absolutely zero dominion or power-broking ability. Hence, taking down the Central Bank of Libya (CBL) may not appear in the speeches of Obama, Cameron and Sarkozy but this is certainly at the top of the globalist agenda for absorbing Libya into its hive of compliant nations."

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/MD14Ak02.html
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:19 am
Charlie Foxtrot

Plum Puddin' wrote:
Countries without a central banking system;

Cuba, Syria, Iran, The Bad Korea, Panama, Sudan & a few other guys we don't like.

Countries new to the central banking system;

Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya

You're reaching here. Anyone with a conscience has ample reason to not like North Korea, Sudan, Iran, Syria and arguably Cuba. I don't really know much about Panama.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:10 am
Plum Puddin'

No one is saying they'd like to hang out with Kim Jong Il.

I just thought it was interesting.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:52 am
redball

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:27 am
Jesse Custer

Gadhafi's last speech.

I just read this elsewhere but hadn't seen it in this thread. Apologies if this is a repost -

Quote:

For 40 years, or was it longer, I can't remember, I did all I could to give people houses, hospitals, schools, and when they were hungry, I gave them food. I even made Benghazi into farmland from the desert, I stood up to attacks from that cowboy Ronald Reagan, when he killed my adopted orphaned daughter, he was trying to kill me, instead he killed that poor innocent child. Then I helped my brothers and sisters from Africa with money for the African Union.

I did all I could to help people Understand the concept of real democracy, where people's committees ran our country. But that was never enough, as some told me, even people who had 10 room homes, new suits and furniture, were never satisfied, as selfish as they were they wanted more. They told Americans and other visitors, that they needed "democracy" and "freedom" never realizing it was a cut throat system, where the biggest dog eats the rest, but they were enchanted with those words, never realizing that in America, there was no free medicine, no free hospitals, no free housing, no free education and no free food, except when people had to beg or go to long lines to get soup.

No, no matter what I did, it was never enough for some, but for others, they knew I was the son of Gamal Abdel Nasser, the only true Arab and Muslim leader we've had since Salah-al-Deen, when he claimed the Suez Canal for his people, as I claimed Libya, for my people, it was his footsteps I tried to follow, to keep my people free from colonial domination - from thieves who would steal from us.

Now, I am under attack by the biggest force in military history, my little African son, Obama wants to kill me, to take away the freedom of our country, to take away our free housing, our free medicine, our free education, our free food, and replace it with American style thievery, called "capitalism" ,but all of us in the Third World know what that means, it means corporations run the countries, run the world, and the people suffer.

So, there is no alternative for me, I must make my stand, and if Allah wishes, I shall die by following His path, the path that has made our country rich with farmland, with food and health, and even allowed us to help our African and Arab brothers and sisters.

I do not wish to die, but if it comes to that, to save this land, my people, all the thousands who are all my children, then so be it.

Let this testament be my voice to the world, that I stood up to crusader attacks of NATO, stood up to cruelty, stoop up to betrayal, stood up to the West and its colonialist ambitions, and that I stood with my African brothers, my true Arab and Muslim brothers, as a beacon of light.

When others were building castles, I lived in a modest house, and in a tent. I never forgot my youth in Sirte, I did not spend our national treasury foolishly, and like Salah-al-Deen, our great Muslim leader, who rescued Jerusalem for Islam, I took little for myself...

In the West, some have called me "mad", "crazy", but they know the truth yet continue to lie, they know that our land is independent and free, not in the colonial grip, that my vision, my path, is, and has been clear and for my people and that I will fight to my last breath to keep us free, may Allah almighty help us to remain faithful and free.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:09 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

quick fact check:

gaddafi did not invest in bengazi. quite the opposite, he ignored and focused development on sirte and tripoli.
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2056521,00.html

his adopted daughter was not killed in the attack.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/31/501364/main20099663.shtml

actually i don't think this is gaddafi at all. doesn't sound like him. sounds like something a western-based gaddafi sympathizer came up with. do you have a source?
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:46 am
Charlie Foxtrot

redball wrote:

I went on that website and I like what they're doing but I kinda feel like they're probably preaching to the choir.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:02 am
Jesse Custer

crash wrote:
quick fact check:

gaddafi did not invest in bengazi. quite the opposite, he ignored and focused development on sirte and tripoli.
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2056521,00.html

his adopted daughter was not killed in the attack.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/31/501364/main20099663.shtml

actually i don't think this is gaddafi at all. doesn't sound like him. sounds like something a western-based gaddafi sympathizer came up with. do you have a source?

At work at the minute and can't find where I read it immediately; will try and find the source later...
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:17 am
redball

This is the original translation on the website run by the man credited for the translation:

http://www.todaysalternativenews.com/index.php?event=link,150&values[0]=&values[1]=9735

According to Mathaba.net it is not a speech, but a poem printed in a state run newspaper on April 5th.

"I received the following commentary by Col. Mu'ammar Qaddafi, published in a Libyan newspaper as a poem, from a friend in Libya. I translated it, and offer it without comment, other than at least it's his side of the story..."
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:48 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

So, most likely credited to Gaddafi, translation maybe questionable, proven by crash to have at least some false information in it.

Still waiting on the paper trail that shows we're moving in the corps to take over Libya. Give me a KBR/Halliburton here people.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:53 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

that sam hamod guy is a phony.

Quote:

Sam Hamod, Ph.D. is a graduate professor; he has taught courses in creative writing, politics, religion, mass media and intercultural relations. He has one of the very few PhDs awarded by The Writers Workshop of The Univ. of Iowa, has published 12 books of poems, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize and has 3 more books under contract, including his memoirs, "At the Broadway Lounge: A Muslim Life in America." His M.A. and B.A. are from Northwestern University, and he went to Law School at The Univ. of Chicago. He is the former Director of The Islamic Center in Washington, DC; he founded and edited THIRD WORLD NEWS in Wash, DC; has taught at Princeton, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Howard and Valparaiso. He also served as an advisor to the State Department and worked on the "peace process" between Palestine and Israel in Wash, DC. He founded www.todaysalternativenews.com in 2000. He has lectured and read his work all over America, the Middle East, Europe and Africa.

I can't find any confirmation from a reliable source that he was nominated for a Pulitzer, that he was ever the director of the Islamic Center, or that he even was a professor anywhere. Almost all the google results for his name come from "alternative" news or literary sites.

In other news, the NTC said they will prosecute the guy who killed Gaddafi. A soldier admitted to it a few days ago, probably thinking he would get props instead of a trip to court. I doubt they'll sentence him or even go through with the trial. If they even gave this guy a short jail sentence Libyans would be furious. It's just for show for the international community.

Reports are coming in of mass executions of Gaddafi's supporters.
http://www.salon.com/2011/10/28/the_murder_brigades_of_misrata/
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:37 am
redball

I think that's a little harsh, crash. I couldn't find anything to backup his claim about The Islamic Center, but I also don't see a ton of information on their leadership either. Yes, I read their website but it doesn't list very much about past leadership at all. I did find an article in the LA Times where they quoted him and cited him as the former director, not a smoking gun but at least it's a credible source.

Google Scholar has a lot of his poetry, and that's about all I can find on him other than random bits of opinion and, as you said, lots of hits from questionable "media" sources.

Regardless, it is false to say that this is Gadhafi's last speech. It wasn't a speech but rather a poem. It was released in April. There's only one source we have for this poem. Even if the translation is valid and the poem really did run in a Libyan paper, one can only assume that Gadhafi had other things on his mind in April and wasn't lamenting his position in prose. If he was then that makes the whole situation really funny.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:02 pm
crash

i dunno, that sure looks like a padded resume to me. i thought with credentials like that there'd be more to his internet presence than some poems and alternative news articles (and a reference in the LA times). of course, the lack of evidence isn't conclusive but i'd be pretty surprised if this guy is exactly who he says he is, and even more surprised if that translation was legit.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:25 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Nato moving out:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/10/2011102813187288937.html

Quote:

NATO announces end of Libya mission

Alliance agrees to end seven-month military campaign despite appeal from Libya's new leaders to stay until end of year.
Last Modified: 28 Oct 2011 15:01

NATO has formally announced the end of its military mission in Libya following a meeting of ambassadors from the alliance's 28 states in Brussels.

Friday's decision comes a day after the 15-nation United Nations Security Council unanimously voted to end the mandate that had authorised military action in Libya.

Alliance warplanes will cease operations on Monday after flying more than 26,000 sorties, and bombing almost 6,000 targets, in a seven-month operation that helped bring about the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi, the former Libyan leader.

"We have fully complied with the historic mandate of the United Nations to protect the people of Libya, to enforce the no-fly zone and the arms embargo," Anders Fogh Rasmussen, NATO's secretary-general, said in a statement.

"Operation Unified Protector is one of the most successful in NATO history, We are concluding it in a considered and controlled manner because our military job is now done."

The mandate of Unified Protector, the name of NATO's operation, was to protect civilians and civilian-populated areas under attack or threat of attack.

The alliance's operations in Libya had divided the UN, with Russia, China, Brazil, India and South Africa accusing the alliance of breaching the Security Council mandate.

Between now and Monday, NATO aircraft will continue to monitor the situation on the ground and, if needed, "respond to threats to civilians", Rasmussen said.

NATO decided to end the mission even though interim Libyan leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil asked for the alliance to stay until the end of the year, warning on Wednesday that Gaddafi loyalists still posed a threat.

Jalil's fears were heightened by reports that Gaddafi's former intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senussi, who fled Libya, had passed from Niger into Mali.

It was not known if Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam was with him. Saif was earlier reported to be hiding in Niger after his father's death.

Arms proliferation

Al Jazeera's Hashem Ahelbara, reporting from Tripoli, said Libya's new administration may seek international help in certain security matters, including the control of its borders.

"Libya has been asking about striking a new deal with NATO or with other allies such as Qatar and the UAE [United Arab Emirates] to help them build a new army and police force," Ahelbara said.

NATO officials said members of the alliance were free to give further security aid to Libya individually.

Officials pointed to comments from Qatar's top general, who said on Wednesday that Western countries had proposed setting up a new alliance headed by Qatar to support Libya after NATO ends its mission.

Thursday's UN resolution does not lift the arms embargo or other UN sanctions on Libya that have been in place for half a year.

The resolution made clear that weapons were still a problem, voicing "concern at the proliferation of arms in Libya and its potential impact on regional peace and security".

A coalition led by the US, France and Britain launched the first salvos in the air war on March 19, before handing over command of the mission to NATO on March 31.

NATO allies have hailed the mission a success, with no casualties on their side and few civilian deaths, but cash-strapped governments have been eager to bring their planes home and focus on the bigger war in Afghanistan.

CONSPIRACYIERS WHEREUAT? Still waiting for someone to show me how this whole situation resulted in profits from the world bank/private corporations/other governments/illuminati etc. I'm not buying the "Central Bank" argument. I mean shit, according to the interwebs the Libyan Central Bank is like, broke as a joke. This was the only thing online I could find that supports that argument:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/09/01/uk-libya-britain-cash-idUKTRE77U4OR20110901

Or maybe that's why we pulled out so quickly? Didn't want to end up pregnant and engaged to the broke-ass Libya when we are balls-deep in much more profitable holes? This argument makes sense to me.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:28 pm
redball

crash wrote:
i dunno, that sure looks like a padded resume to me. i thought with credentials like that there'd be more to his internet presence than some poems and alternative news articles (and a reference in the LA times). of course, the lack of evidence isn't conclusive but i'd be pretty surprised if this guy is exactly who he says he is, and even more surprised if that translation was legit.

Perhaps it's padded, but that doesn't mean he hasn't done those things. I saw evidence that he at least has writings from Iowa and has several published poems. Does that make him a credible source? No. However, you called him a phony, and I don't see a reason to call someone a phony just because they inflate their importance a bit.

It seems more important to me to focus on how little that poem matters and how it is being misrepresented and spreading around these crappy alt-news sites like wildfire all the sudden even though it's 6 months old. This says a lot about the alt-news ecosystem.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next