Search
Register
ATCQ DVD available now! "Beats, Rhymes and Life"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

SFR announcement

ATCQ DVD available now! "Beats, Rhymes and Life"  Reply with quote  

Arriving on DVD at SFRstore on Tuesday, Oct 18: the acclaimed documentary “Beats, Rhymes & Life: the Travels of A Tribe Called Quest”!

Click here for more details and to order your copy:
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/beats-rhymes-life-travels-of-a-tribe-called-quest-dvd-p-514.html

When A Tribe Called Quest emerged from Queens in the 1980s, there wasn’t another hip-hop outfit that sounded exactly like them. Their unique mix of jazz, funk, and creatively conscious lyrics struck a chord, but 10 years later, they called it a day. Learn about their journey on this new documentary from director Michael Rapaport.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:24 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I haven't seen this yet but I heard a lot of good things about it. Also, it spurred a public tweet-beef between Q-Tip, Phife and Michael Rapaport. That alone entices me. haha
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:30 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

They have been showing this at the college theater here and I can't afford to go right now. = (

I think it ends today. Maybe I should turn in cans or something.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:40 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

It's well done. A must see for Tribe fans. I left the theater wanting to revisit all their albums.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:30 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
b. dolan
FBI agent

really want to see this.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:48 pm
Storm Davis

I enjoyed it, but I was disappointed that they spent about 5 minutes on the "Beats, Rhymes & Life" album era, and that was really just talking heads speaking on how confusing it was for Phife that Dilla and Consequence were now influencing the music being made.

To me, that's the most intriguing period in the groups history, and I've never really seen any in-depth coverage on it.

It's clear that it was caused by a breakdown in the relationship of Tip and Phife, but I'd like to see the specifics of Dilla and Consequence coming on board, the formation of The Ummah, etc. Maybe the deleted scenes hold the answers I seek.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

ive seen it, its great look into the group, how they became, what they became, the highs, the lows , all that shit, good stuff

bonkers in effect
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:31 pm
Prontoid

that Rappaport gets around.....pretty sure he holds the record for most fouls in the celebrity all star game from a few years back...im going to order this now..
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:42 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I've been a huge Rapaport fan since Zebrahead. In fact, while I was living in NYC in 1996 I was randomly strolling through Central Park when I saw him sitting on a bench with a lady friend. I didn't want to annoy him so as I passed I shouted out, "Hey...when will we see Zebrahead II?"

He looked incredibly embarrassed, which made me think he didn't love that movie as much as I did. He barked, "NEVER!"

ahhh. Such a fun memory for me to tear out of my brain when I need a good laugh.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:07 pm
Rob-Raz

Zebrahead was a truly slept on flick.

Oh and this doc is definitely worth a watch. Made me pull out all the old Tribe records.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:18 pm
3flip

Storm Davis wrote:
I enjoyed it, but I was disappointed that they spent about 5 minutes on the "Beats, Rhymes & Life" album era, and that was really just talking heads speaking on how confusing it was for Phife that Dilla and Consequence were now influencing the music being made.

To me, that's the most intriguing period in the groups history, and I've never really seen any in-depth coverage on it.

It's clear that it was caused by a breakdown in the relationship of Tip and Phife, but I'd like to see the specifics of Dilla and Consequence coming on board, the formation of The Ummah, etc. Maybe the deleted scenes hold the answers I seek.

its also a great record. highly overshadowed by low end theory and midnight marauders
Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:18 am
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

this doc is great. it's satisfying as hell to see how the group started, and how they feel about their place in history.

also, it is strange to see that Ali Shaheed has actually gotten younger and better looking between the 80's and now. And to see that Jarobi is the sweetest person on the planet.

High recommended. Great insight into Tip's production, too.
Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:14 pm
Storm Davis

3flip wrote:

its also a great record. highly overshadowed by low end theory and midnight marauders

I think that "Low End Theory" and "Midnight Marauders" are bookend masterpieces, and far and away their finest work. Which of the 2 is best could be debated (and has been, and will be) for hours. I think its reasonable that they cast a shadow over the rest of the catalog.

However, "Beats, Rhymes & Life" is my favorite Tribe album. While I have an understanding that the other 2 are better works, I like "B, R & L" better.

So, yep, agreed. It is a great record.
Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:22 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Got around to watching this the other day. And then I watched it again. And again.

I could have guessed what most of this movie would consist of based on what I perceived from their album releases over the years, but the main thing I'm surprised by is how Phife remains to be seemingly unappreciative of all the things Q-Tip has made possible over the years. It's clear that he is a driving force a major part of ATCQ's success, and Phife's inability to appreciate or understand his role in all of it is kind of wack to me. I wish him all the best though. I definitely appreciate his own contributions to ATCQ over the years. And the state of his health is obviously a major concern. The state of his health almost overrides the mood of the whole film for me. Eh...yeah. As a die hard fan of their first 3 albums I am really glad that this documentary has come about to remind people of how great ATCQ is.
Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:24 pm
Jedisdope

i enjoyed the film - but i would've preferred more focus on the music than on the personal relationship between tip and phife.

that being said, a doc that focuses on the internal conflicts of a great group has more legs than a doc about said group that focuses on their body of work.

for me the most interesting scene was when tip breaks down some samples and plays them and talks about how certain songs came together and when he first heard the original records, etc. i would watch a whole documentary of just that. most people would not.
Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next