Profile
Search
Register
Log in
The next Beatles?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
Limbs



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 885
 Reply with quote  

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
No, it probably won't ever happen again, at least not like that. The Beatles can't happen again because that kind of intensely sustained celebrity could only happen at that specific point in our shared history. There's too much instant access now, too many artists competing for attention and resources.

Artists can and do experience those kinds of musical transformations over a career, but for those transformations to be heard and widely accepted by such an extremely large audience would be hard to imagine. The most recent example I can think of is Outkast after their double album won the Grammy, and even with that album getting certified diamond, compared to what happened with The Beatles it's not exactly lightning striking twice.


You say stuff good.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:24 am
 View user's profile Send private message
spagucci-one



Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 484
 Reply with quote  

b. dolan wrote:
spagucci-one wrote:
Kanye= new Beatles? You must be tripping on LSD. I think there are few bands that we will be talking about in 40 years. I would say Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day are among those few.


i'm gonna stop reading this thread right here. go away and never come back. for my health.


Go away? What's up with the hate? Can't someone express their opinion around here?
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:31 am
 View user's profile Send private message
anomaly
Loserface


Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 2577
Location: DFW, TX
 Reply with quote  

dude, you just spoke as if Green Day and RHCP were great. You deserve what's coming.

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:21 am
 View user's profile Send private message
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19356
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

spagucci-one wrote:
Kanye= new Beatles? You must be tripping on LSD. I think there are few bands that we will be talking about in 40 years. I would say Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day are among those few.


Kanye West has more hits on his last two albums than Green Day had in their whole career. And RHCP have never been that popular. In fact, neither of those two bands have ever been the most popular act in music. At any point.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:49 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
tommi teardrop



Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Posts: 2215
Location: Las Vegas
 Reply with quote  

I sort of feel like I am ignorant to a lot of the Beatles' material. Obviously there are some songs that I love, but some of it I just never got.

I never understood why people think songs like Yesterday and Eleanor Rigby are that great. They sound like dorky Irish music to me. And I always thought Hey Jude was a "You are my sunshine" rip off.

My favorite songs are probably Come Together, I am the Walrus, Strawberry Fields and Revolution.

Maybe I'll get into the Beatles more as I get older. Right now, I'd probably take the Stones and the Beach Boys over them. Lately, when it comes to old music, I just want to listen to the Jimi Hendrix Blues CD over everything else.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:51 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Limbs



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 885
 Reply with quote  

I have a soft spot for the Chili Peppers. By The Way is a great shower record.

But I like what someone said earlier about how they are kinda like the reverse Beatles.

I just don't see the world lending itself to another Beatle deal.

I consistently ignore Kanye. I don't think I would have ignored the Beatles.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:04 am
 View user's profile Send private message
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19356
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

Limbs wrote:


I consistently ignore Kanye. I don't think I would have ignored the Beatles.


I think I would have ignored the Beatles. I also prefer the beach boys and the stones to them. And then a lot more than that stuff like the Stooges and the Ramones. Bob Dylan. Neil Young. So on and so forth. There was a lot of great music out there besides the beatles from the 50s to the 70s. Beatles just got all the hype. I would take Led Zepplin over the Beatles too. As well as Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

Some of Lennon's solo stuff is okay though. But I mean, he's no Bob Dylan.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:09 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
AdamBomb



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 3183
Location: Louisiana
 Reply with quote  

For those that say they would have preferred Beach Boys. Brian Wilson has stated numerous times that The Beatles are what inspired him to make Pet Sounds, particularly the Rubber Soul album.

I see a lot of similarities in the current pop market as it was when the Beatles came in. Mostly single-driven cookie cutter groups. All top 40. They jumped right in, fit in and then trend setted instead of followed.

As for Kanye...what classics does he have? Is his music the one of a generation? Somehow I can't picture 20 years in the future when the 2000's station comes on, someone turning up the dial on that douchebags song and saying "ahhh, those were the days...."
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:44 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
MCGF



Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 367
 Reply with quote  

Twenty years from now, when Gold Digger gets played on a 2000's radio station I am DEFINENTLY turning it up and laughing at anyone who doesn't. Kanye isn't "one of a generation" but he is pretty fucking talented, and his music has character.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:52 am
 View user's profile Send private message
outpatient



Joined: 07 Jul 2005
Posts: 475
Location: haggis and scotch eggs
 Reply with quote  

I'd also rate those groups over the Beatles. A lot of Beatles' music is so twee it makes me go "ew" when I listen to it. just those overly-precious (usually McCartney-written) songs put me off.

Mingus is the one jazz guy who is more rock'n'roll than all of those bands combined, though. people need to listen to more Mingus.



Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:54 am
 View user's profile Send private message
tommi teardrop



Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Posts: 2215
Location: Las Vegas
 Reply with quote  

AdamBomb wrote:
As for Kanye...what classics does he have? Is his music the one of a generation? Somehow I can't picture 20 years in the future when the 2000's station comes on, someone turning up the dial on that douchebags song and saying "ahhh, those were the days...."
I will bump Can't Tell Me Nothing, Hey Mama, Amazing and the entire MBDTF until the day I die. And I'm sure Stronger, Jesus Walks, Golddigger, Power and All of the Lights will remain classics for years to come.

Runaway, or the douchebag song, as you called it, is a classic to me also. Young, rich and tasteless.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FranktheP



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Posts: 1367
Location: East Coast, Fuck You!
 Reply with quote  

futuristxen wrote:

I think I would have ignored the Beatles. I also prefer the beach boys and the stones to them. And then a lot more than that stuff like the Stooges and the Ramones. Bob Dylan. Neil Young. So on and so forth. There was a lot of great music out there besides the beatles from the 50s to the 70s. Beatles just got all the hype. I would take Led Zepplin over the Beatles too. As well as Miles Davis and John Coltrane.


I think you are missing that most names on your list and countless others were influenced to do what they do because of the Beatles. As time goes on I think people lose the fact that the Beatles changed music. They changed what teenagers were listening to...just like Elvis and the early Rock and Rollers did in the early to mid 50's. For anyone to say that the Chili Peppers or Green Day will have that influence is ignoring history.

With that being said I do think Nirvana had that chance. They are the only band in my generation (born in '71) that I can say I say change music. One minute I am being inudated with hair band ballads and the next thing I know I am rocking out to a dude talking about doing heroine on the radio. I never seen another band do that (and with said I may, may be able to hear the argument for RUN DMC here).
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:02 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Limbs



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 885
 Reply with quote  

futuristxen wrote:
Limbs wrote:


I consistently ignore Kanye. I don't think I would have ignored the Beatles.


I think I would have ignored the Beatles. I also prefer the beach boys and the stones to them. And then a lot more than that stuff like the Stooges and the Ramones. Bob Dylan. Neil Young. So on and so forth. There was a lot of great music out there besides the beatles from the 50s to the 70s. Beatles just got all the hype. I would take Led Zepplin over the Beatles too. As well as Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

Some of Lennon's solo stuff is okay though. But I mean, he's no Bob Dylan.


I put the Beatles and Beach Boys near each other, as far as my tastes are concerned. I'll give you the rest except for the Stones and Zeppelin. I'll take The Who and Talking Heads over them any day.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:14 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Limbs



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 885
 Reply with quote  

AdamBomb wrote:
For those that say they would have preferred Beach Boys. Brian Wilson has stated numerous times that The Beatles are what inspired him to make Pet Sounds, particularly the Rubber Soul album.


And McCartney said Pet Sounds was a huge influence over Sgt. Pepper.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:17 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19356
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

Limbs wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
Limbs wrote:


I consistently ignore Kanye. I don't think I would have ignored the Beatles.


I think I would have ignored the Beatles. I also prefer the beach boys and the stones to them. And then a lot more than that stuff like the Stooges and the Ramones. Bob Dylan. Neil Young. So on and so forth. There was a lot of great music out there besides the beatles from the 50s to the 70s. Beatles just got all the hype. I would take Led Zepplin over the Beatles too. As well as Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

Some of Lennon's solo stuff is okay though. But I mean, he's no Bob Dylan.


I put the Beatles and Beach Boys near each other, as far as my tastes are concerned. I'll give you the rest except for the Stones and Zeppelin. I'll take The Who and Talking Heads over them any day.


I also enjoy Talking Heads more than the Beatles.

I also enjoy most hiphop more than the beatles. I never found their pop that catchy, or their edge that edgey. My music needs OOMPH. The Beatles have very few songs with Oomph.

They were of course the biggest band of all-time. Someone like Michael Jackson was just as important though, and made better music IMO.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:14 am
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon