Search
Register
The next Beatles?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

AdamBomb

The next Beatles?  Reply with quote  

The Beatles basically had their run as a group together from 63 when Beatlemania broke out till their breakup in 1969. Please Please Me came out in 1963 and Let it Be came out after they broke up in 1970.

When they first came out on the scene, they were basically "pop" and inline with the pop du jour songs of the day and short single format of songs. If you think about it, it is incredible the transformation they made from album to album in such a short span of time.

How do you go from this:

to this? (in just 5 years):

They obviousy went from bubble gum pop to an extreme transformation into "avant garde" territory to psychedelic and experimental. Taking chances and creating trends instead of following any.

If you look at all the pop superstars we have today, who is taking chances like that and evolving their sound? Bieber has already been around for 2-3 years. Lady Gaga the same. Rhianna? Eminem? U2? Adele? Lil Wayne? Jonas Bros? Will we be talking about any of these people in 40 years?

If anything the more popular someone gets, it seems they take less chances. Is it the system or were The Beatles just freaks that had a lot of balls? Will there ever be another artist that can evolve like that in such a short span of time?
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:28 pm
outpatient

LSD is a pretty important factor here I think
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:53 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Kanye West is the new Beatles.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:01 pm
MCGF

who gives a fuck about pop superstars? The Beatles were great. There won't be another Beatles; music is too fragmented and varied nowadays. And thats okay. From a music lovers perspective, this is the best time to be alive!

also a ton of artists have switched up their sound just as much as the beatles... love 'em or hate 'em, Radiohead comes to mind. The change from Pablo Honey, to The Bends, to OK Computer, to Kid A... pretty substantial changes made from 1992 to 2000.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:22 pm
Plum Puddin'

Daughtry.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:36 pm
futuristxen

T Wrex beat me to it. Kanye is the closest thing to what you're talking about, that we have now.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:39 pm
spagucci-one

Kanye= new Beatles? You must be tripping on LSD. I think there are few bands that we will be talking about in 40 years. I would say Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day are among those few.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:15 pm
AdamBomb

The Beatles are like if NSYNC just grew beards and long hair after their first album came out and started making music like the White Stripes. Then, they morphed into Pink Floyd and then back around to Coldplay. In just 6 years. If Bieber said "hey I wanna do a Flaming Lips type record next", you think his label would allow that?

I think that is a good point that Kanye morphs and takes chances, but I haven't seen a Kanye fan break down in tears. Not a Beatle. Also, his "avant garde" doesn't come off as sincere, imo. In some ways, Lil Wayne's fanbase can seem Beatlesque, but he kind of played it safe on that most recent LP. We'll see.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:36 pm
corporateslave

spagucci-one wrote:
Kanye= new Beatles? You must be tripping on LSD. I think there are few bands that we will be talking about in 40 years. I would say Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day are among those few.

Red Hot Chili Peppers are a good example of a dramatic change, but in the reverse of the Beatles. When they came out they were pretty subversive and on the fringe, and over time they became more popular and simultaneously less exploratory in their sound.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:38 pm
zeem

for the main stretch of their rise, it was all frusciante. his many solo albums later on show where all that energy went.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:21 pm
Dr Sagacious

Kanye is the new Beatles.

Fandom has evolved since the days of the freak-the-fuck-out.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:42 pm
zeem

radiohead?
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:53 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I'm sure drugs were a part of it but to me the important part was the intense concentrations of money and celebrity shoveled onto a too-short amount of time into a band that started out as a carefully manicured product but quickly became so successful that they could no longer be meaningfully controlled by their moneyed masters.

That the resulting product, made largely free of corporate control, ended up being just as enduring as the initial packaging, says a lot about the relative skill level of the artists involved: they were very good at what they did to start with. I've heard suggestions that they may have averaged something like a thousand plus hours a year of performance in front of live audiences during the two and a half years prior to their signing with a major label; this probably helped a bit.

I like to keep in mind that they didn't make any of that later work in a vacuum either. During those final years they were at the center of an intense nexus of attention from other musicians and artists; it's hard to imagine any single band at any other time in history that has had access to so much insight and talent from their peers, when and as they wanted it. That certainly happened to some extent in flourishing jazz scenes throughout the 20th century, particularly as celebrity found certain figures in jazz and those figures were able to attract other respected musicians to work with them. A big difference with the Beatles is that the money also came under their control at the same time in unprecedented levels; my sense is that they rapidly went from being terrified to tell their label no to their label being terrified to say anything but yes. A major component of those final albums was intense experimentation, musical dead-ends during paid studio time. They had essentially unlimited studio time, paid for by their label. Huge amounts of access to sound engineers, session musicians, producers.

In that kind of context, the transformation wasn't much of a surprise; nor was the disintegration. The surprising thing is how much music they did produce during those final years. Often that kind of freedom becomes a tar pit.

EDIT: The thread is about whether this will ever happen again, not about why it happened when it did. Short answer: No, it probably won't ever happen again, at least not like that. The Beatles can't happen again because that kind of intensely sustained celebrity could only happen at that specific point in our shared history. There's too much instant access now, too many artists competing for attention and resources.

Artists can and do experience those kinds of musical transformations over a career, but for those transformations to be heard and widely accepted by such an extremely large audience would be hard to imagine. The most recent example I can think of is Outkast after their double album won the Grammy, and even with that album getting certified diamond, compared to what happened with The Beatles it's not exactly lightning striking twice.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:42 am
Jesse Custer

I think it happens with most successful British guitar based pop acts.. Someone cited Radiohead - Blur and Pulp, too, disappeared up their own experimental arseholes. the Manics went in reverse from being interesting to bland, and I can now think of a million different other bands that prove my blanket statement at the start of this post wrong.

Whatever, the answer to the question is Radiohead, and it's been answered in a lot less words than Mark. Points to MCGF for brevity and conciseness. I dunno if that's a word.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:28 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

spagucci-one wrote:

i'm gonna stop reading this thread right here. go away and never come back. for my health.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:45 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next