Search
Register
Netflix Debacle
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

breakreep
homophobic yet curious

I fucking hate the Wii controller. Such an inaccurate way to play games. I enjoyed the last Wii Zelda and Metroid Prime 3 about 1/4 as much as I should have because I had no choice except to play them with that shitty remote control.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:35 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

breakreep wrote:
I fucking hate the Wii controller. Such an inaccurate way to play games. I enjoyed the last Wii Zelda and Metroid Prime 3 about 1/4 as much as I should have because I had no choice except to play them with that shitty remote control.

It's the best controller for playing basketball and, especially, soccer games. Not for anything else, though.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:41 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

gun games!
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:06 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Neuro wrote:
gun games!

Of course!
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:30 am
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

I go back and forth between netflix and hulu plus on my xbox..right now I'm using Hulu Plus. 700+ episodes of Saturday Night Live, plus it has most of the new shows I want to watch. Only thing that blows is that even though I'm paying I still have to see their advertisements every few minutes. But I guess its not too bad.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:11 am
redball

I have an Apple TV and a Wii. The Wii came first, it made me realize that Netflix is pretty cool when used this way. I bought the Apple TV because I can buy entire seasons of kids shows for like $20, which allowed me to get rid of a $20/month DVR. The ATV has two advantages over the Wii: better quality streaming and it can be controlled via my Harmony remote. Otherwise, the Wii's controller makes selecting movies, and especially typing in the search, much easier.

I forgot to mention this in my last post and it's been bugging me. There is another key factor that splitting the companies screwed up: users of both services. The criticism lobbied in this comic and others is spot on, it would be more confusing and more hassle for people who want to have both services. This is correctable if they were to leverage their APIs to provide interactivity between the sites. It doesn't seem like they were planning to do that, though. If they separate everything then it will make being a member of both services a pain, and that will likely hurt both, but the DVD-by-mail would suffer worse over the long run.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:32 am
Limbs

It's funny how quickly DVDs seem archaic.

I rock the flix with a 360. I haven't played a video game in well over a year.

What's the vinyl of film? Cuz there's some shit I'd like to own but don't want to invest in some (soon to be) outdated medium.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:36 am
futuristxen

Limbs wrote:

What's the vinyl of film? Cuz there's some shit I'd like to own but don't want to invest in some (soon to be) outdated medium.

Actual film is the vinyl of film. Laserdisc is the tape. DVDs are CDs. And Blurays are DVDs.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:41 pm
redball

There is no vinyl equivalent for film. If you look at the market, then yeah reel to reel was the allegory. However, actual film has a much shorter lifespan than a vinyl record, and devices to play it are not making a comeback. So in current market terms there is no vinyl for film.

There are companies out there working on universal access to movies. It's called UltraViolet, and the idea is that when you buy a movie you are actually buying a license to view that movie. So you will be able to buy it from one service and have that license perpetuate to others. The benefit for you is that you don't have to worry about Service X going belly up. The benefit for the MPAA is that this creates a competitive environment that will allow more than one service to compete, unlike the RIAA's trouble with iTunes.

http://gigaom.com/video/ultraviolet-b2b-launch/

edit: heh, I hadn't even seen this article from this morning yet, it's a better write up.

http://gigaom.com/video/ultraviolet-itunes/
Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:23 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

breaking bad seasons 1-3 are on netflix

i watched the first episode a couple weeks ago and it was the dvd uncensored version, nudity, swear words etc

yesterday i watched it again and it was fully censored and missing scenes , like when walt washing cars and looks up and his student is mocking him, that is cut out, why, why , why
Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:01 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

that UltraViolet seems like an awesome idea..
Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:59 pm
redball

BTW, Q3 real numbers came out yesterday. They lost 800k U.S. subscribers (meaning they missed their estimates by about 1.2mil). Don't cry for them, though, they are still as large as the biggest cable providers at almost 24 million and they gained 1.2 million subscribers in foreign markets.

UltraViolet sounds cool but its release has been met with poor response so far. Lots of complaints on Amazon. Ebay already has UV codes to download movies ($1-$2 per movie), so that's a plus.
Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:13 am
Limbs

Neuro wrote:
breaking bad seasons 1-3 are on netflix

i watched the first episode a couple weeks ago and it was the dvd uncensored version, nudity, swear words etc

yesterday i watched it again and it was fully censored and missing scenes , like when walt washing cars and looks up and his student is mocking him, that is cut out, why, why , why

They did the same thing to the BSG finale (and who knows how many other episodes). It should illegal.

I wonder what other shows they cut shit out of. I really don't like that.
Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:37 pm
Bob_ptmfus

According to this post from someone on reddit who called Netflix, it's only the pilot in Breaking Bad that's been altered.

Still, I can't believe episodes as important as pilots and finales are altered at all.

Edit: Forgot the link. http://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/l7k7s/so_for_some_reason_breaking_bad_is_censored/
Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:18 pm
futuristxen

I'm suprised that netflix would go through the trouble. Are you sure it's not the network itself who censored the episodes? It seems like an unneeded business expense for Netflix to be doing video editing on their own.
Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:16 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next