Search
Register
Educate Yourself: Waiters, waitresses, restaurants, etc.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Captiv8

Aren't postal workers fairly well paid? Plus paid government holidays? Plus government benefits? These motherfuckers need to work at fast food restaurant to know what being the service industry is really like. I would have much preferred to work at a post office than to toil away in a factory for 30 days straight, in the summer, lifting heavy-ass dashboard mats and sweating my ass off, covered in a thin slime of oil at the end of the day.

And you're right Limbs. People should simply be nice to other people. I'm friendly to every person I talk to throughout the course of my day, unless they've given me a consistent reason to dislike them. Even then, I'm at the very least civil. I try to brighten up the day of employees at the various places I visit, because I know most of them have bigger aspirations than holding down the fort at Big Boy or Kroger.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:42 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

I'm confused. Are we talking about the Post Office because I brought it up? I was jumping onto what I thought was a bandwagon of complaining about poor bonuses. I haven't said a word of what I liked or disliked about that job, other than that management was inept at creating a pay structure that gave any incentive at all to rewarding good work and thus surviving as a corporation.

As to comparative workdays, I've worked in fast food, construction, a warehouse, and the post office. The last was easily the best job environment of any of them.

That, however, is not saying much. Further, the Post Office was the only job I've held were raises literally were not possible, because the union had negotiated such great benefits and pay for the career employees (not me) that the "transitionary employees" (me) were paid a flat rate which was, all told, about half of the rate paid to the career employees for the exact same position.

If you are wondering, a "transitionary employee" is one that is fired every 360 days and rehired on the 366th. This, by Utah labor laws, enables the company to classify the worker as "temporary" and thus bypass every bit of compensation law they may be required to adhere to in regard to their permanent employees. The end result is that I did twice as much work as some of my colleagues for literally one-third of the lifetime compensation cost. You wonder why the Post Office is going bankrupt?
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:55 am
Mark in Minnesota

I think the best writing Bukowski ever did was about his years in the post office. He talked extensively about that two-class system.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:36 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

breakreep wrote:
mortalthoughts wrote:
The post office is going/is bankrupt why would you Expect anything extra from them???????

Long story short

not trying to come off like an asshole but is this the first union job you've ever had?

Last edited by mortalthoughts on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:30 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
I think the best writing Bukowski ever did was about his years in the post office. He talked extensively about that two-class system.

not familiar but what are they? management and the peons?
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:31 pm
Mark in Minnesota

No, I meant what breakreep was talking about, the difference in quality of life between temporary/transitional/provisional employees and ones with permanent jobs.

What Bukowski described was in some ways very comparable to the difference in professional life that professors experience after winning tenure.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:42 pm
Limbs

Maybe postal workers wasn't the best example, it was just in my head cuz there was a few posts about it. You could insert any job where there is a dislikable aspect. Every job?
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:55 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

you always know what the 'terms of employment' are though if its a legit company and you usually(EDIT:or in a matter of taking tips have an idea) know the pay scale) to which you will be compensated
kinda leaves no room to complain in general tbh
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:50 pm
FranktheP

Nahgied wrote:
I really do think that you can tell someone's character by how nice they are to people that they don't have to be nice to. How people talk to wait staff is a gateway to their soul.

I never disrepect the waitstaff or professors. Both can fuck you up a lot worse in the long run their my comments would fuck up their day.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:57 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

mortalthoughts wrote:
you always know what the 'terms of employment' are though if its a legit company and you usually(EDIT:or in a matter of taking tips have an idea) know the pay scale) to which you will be compensated
kinda leaves no room to complain in general tbh

Not quite. I knew the terms of what I, specifically, was signing up for when I joined the Post Office. I did not, however, know the simultaneous terms applied to a select few of my colleagues who were doing the same job as me; nor did I know how much that disparity would affect me over the years.

I eventually quit because of a couple of events that emblematized the same two-class mentality and overall disregard for the majority of their employees that the Post Office displayed, but I would not have quit as suddenly as I did if it were not for the three-year exposure to futile, irrational failure to advance despite hard work while random, less-qualified colleagues went on vacations and complained that their raise wasn't big enough this year.

Toward the end it reminded me of those experiments that psychologists do on mice where they, over and over again, deny a mouse any sort of reward for a process for the completion of which it had previously been trained to expect reward. Eventually the mouse starts to shut down, literally, biologically. It loses will to act or move and just sits there staring at a wall.

But I digress. Even this concession on my part is oversimplifying things. I was paid decently for the level of difficulty my work entailed, and I was both aware of and prepared for several of my pay details when I joined.

However, as I said, I was not made aware of the difference in pay scales until after I was hired. More than that, for nearly a year after I was hired it was left (intentionally, I now believe) very vague as to whether I would be able to qualify for any sort of merit-based promotion or raise down the road.

As to your other question, I've worked other union jobs. The rest were perfectly fine. Contrary to what your Republican neighbors would have you believe, the auto industry and the Post Office represent the worst of the possible results of unionization, not the mean, median, or mode.

Unions are fine. Greedy unions aren't. They aren't synonyms.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:52 pm
Captiv8

breakreep wrote:
Contrary to what your Republican neighbors would have you believe, the auto industry and the Post Office represent the worst of the possible results of unionization, not the mean, median, or mode.

Unions are fine. Greedy unions aren't. They aren't synonyms.

That about sums 'er up when it comes to talk about unions, doesn't it? If only anti-union people could 1) understand that some unions do not represent all unions, and 2) unions were originally created because working conditions were fucking rough for a really long time. On the other side of the coin, unions themselves and the members therein would do well to remember the same.
Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:13 am
Eric B

Re: Educate Yourself: Waiters, waitresses, restaurants, etc.  Reply with quote  

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
AdamBomb wrote:
10% for take out orders is proper

Say what? I've never heard of this. Who are you tipping exactly, the person who answers the phone?

I'm late to the party, but I don't think this question was answered. Any opinions? I usually don't tip when I go to pick it up, I figure I'm doing the leg work. I guess I would tip if I knew it went to the cook, but I'm sure the girl that punches in the register takes 3/4 of the tip and leaves the scraps for the cook.

Here are a couple other scenarios I've wondered about:

1. What about a restaurant where you order at the counter and they bring it out to you and you refill your own drinks.

2. How bout at a buffet, where the waitress just refills your drinks and takes away your empty plates?

Most of these situations I just leave a dollar bill. Am I a dick now? I do tip 20% at traditional sit down restaurants.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:00 pm
Bring that Beat Back

Speaking of the post office...watching the baseball playoffs tonight was the first time I'd seen these ads.

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/pathetic-post-office-commercial-urges-americans-go-low-tech

Very effective. Please send any forum comments to me via snail mail please. I'm done with this dangerous online business.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

I am going to love watching that organization go extinct.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:20 pm
AdamBomb

breakreep wrote:
I am going to love watching that organization go extinct.

Oh, come on. This is in 2 years.

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next