Search
Register
Educate Yourself: Waiters, waitresses, restaurants, etc.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

AdamBomb

erich wrote:
just to be clear, for the record, those aren't my quotes in B's reply.

it's also interesting to me that the "positive incentive for doing a good job" is the same argument used to defend ridiculously overpaid benefactors of the "free market." like, "CEOs need a bonus of $XXX,XXX,XXX dollars, otherwise why would they do their job?!!?"

Low level managers get bonuses, too. So, do retail salespeople.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:30 pm
erich

AdamBomb wrote:
erich wrote:
just to be clear, for the record, those aren't my quotes in B's reply.

it's also interesting to me that the "positive incentive for doing a good job" is the same argument used to defend ridiculously overpaid benefactors of the "free market." like, "CEOs need a bonus of $XXX,XXX,XXX dollars, otherwise why would they do their job?!!?"

Low level managers get bonuses, too. So, do retail salespeople.

the company offers an incentive for employees to generate more profit for the company in exchange for a very small slice of that profit for a few employees, creating an adversarial relationship within the workforce. why not just pay employees a good wage to begin with and skip the degrading bullshit of hoping for a special treat at the end of the day?
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:43 pm
Mark in Minnesota

Positive incentive can be had for any employee in a restaurant that operates with fair wages and no tips.

I used to have a friend who was a line cook in a small family-owned restaurant and was given an opportunity to build a percentage stake in the business.

That's called sweat equity, and it's one option. Others include profit sharing, bonuses paid based on customer feedback and participation in loyalty programs, etc; all these are options.

Whether you can do it and be competitive with other restaurants is a different question, but let's not talk like tips are the only way to provide an incentive to perform well.
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:22 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

erich wrote:

Shit I never thought of this. I should be like, "Hey man university professors need lamborghinis or they'll refuse to come to school and teach!" Then when I get hired by a college somewhere I'll get a lamborghini as an entrance gift. Then I'll sell it to fund some research. Then I'll ask for another one.
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:21 am
Captiv8

breakreep wrote:
erich wrote:

Shit I never thought of this. I should be like, "Hey man university professors need lamborghinis or they'll refuse to come to school and teach!" Then when I get hired by a college somewhere I'll get a lamborghini as an entrance gift. Then I'll sell it to fund some research. Then I'll ask for another one.

Wouldn't you rather just be paid more in the first place so you didn't have to bother? I know I would. Give me a Passat.
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:54 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I got a bonus this year because of little things like showing up on time, not missing days, tucking in my shirt, wearing shiny shoes, keeping my department clean, addressing customers needs promptly and working diligently.

It was $300..... and they taxed it.

"Off go the deadlocks.. In comes the income.."
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:32 pm
Captiv8

A $300 dollar bonus? I'd rather get free bread every week. But maybe you already get that.
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:15 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

The biggest Christmas bonus I've ever gotten from a job was $200. I'm not even kidding. And that was for a hard fucking job that I busted my ass over.

Subway gave me a $20 Christmas bonus.

The fucking United States Post Office never even gave me a "Merry Christmas". Fuck the United States Post Office. I hope those assholes sink into insolvency this year rather than next.
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:47 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

The post office is going/is bankrupt why would you Expect anything extra from them???????
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:07 am
Nahgied

I really do think that you can tell someone's character by how nice they are to people that they don't have to be nice to. How people talk to wait staff is a gateway to their soul.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:31 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

mortalthoughts wrote:
The post office is going/is bankrupt why would you Expect anything extra from them???????

Long story short, despite being among the top 5% of their workers at my job (going by their own statistical averages) I never "got anything extra", as you put it, precisely because they were incredibly limited by a very, very stupid set of rules negotiated by equally inept people in the Post Office and the Postal Workers Union.

For instance, people that were literally half as productive at their job as me were payed the exact same amount as me for the entirety of the three years I worked there.

Forgive me if I don't empathize with them going bankrupt. Like Radiohead says: "You do it to yourself, you do, and that's what really hurts". Treat your good employees like shit and overpay your bad ones, and you tend to lose money no matter what you happen to be doing.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:59 am
Captiv8

Nahgied wrote:
I really do think that you can tell someone's character by how nice they are to people that they don't have to be nice to. How people talk to wait staff is a gateway to their soul.

Agreed. I see no reason to be anything but nice to waitstaff, as it will only make the whole thing run a little smoother for everyone.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:23 am
Limbs

How about we just more or less be polite to everyone we encounter?

Service folks don't deserve more politeness. Part of your job entails dealing with the public. Sometimes that means getting shit on. Deal with it as long as you are being compensated properly. And if you aren't, the customer shouldn't be held responsible.

A postal worker doesn't get away with complaining about sorting a lot of mail.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:12 am
Jesse Custer

Yes they do; they have well organised Unions.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:08 am
Limbs

For job security and proper compensation. Not to try to get people to send less mail or mail that is harder to sort (or whatever the hell it is they don't like about their job).
Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:32 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next