Search
Register
UC Berkeley scientists can reproduce images from your mind
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

TurnpikeGates

UC Berkeley scientists can reproduce images from your mind  Reply with quote  

http://www.tgdaily.com/general-sciences-features/58630-brain-imaging-reveals-the-movies-in-our-minds

http://youtu.be/nsjDnYxJ0bo

Scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, have managed to decode and reconstruct dynamic visual experiences processed by the human brain.

Currently, researchers are only able to reconstruct movie clips people have already viewed. 

However, the breakthrough is expected to pave the way for reproducing the movies inside our heads that no one else sees - such as dreams and memories. 

"This is a major leap toward reconstructing internal imagery," explained Professor Jack Gallant, a UC Berkeley neuroscientist and coauthor of the study published online today in the journal Current Biology. "We are opening a window into the movies in our minds."

According to Gallant, practical applications of the technology could eventually include a better understanding of what is happening in the minds of those who cannot communicate verbally, such as stroke victims, coma patients and individuals with neurodegenerative diseases. 

It may also lay the groundwork for brain-machine interface so that people with cerebral palsy or paralysis can guide computers with their minds.

Nevertheless, researchers emphasize that the brain imaging technology is "decades" away from allowing users to read thoughts and intentions - a theme which is prevalent in numerous dystopian science fiction books. 

Yet, the achievements of Galant's team are particularly impressive, since the scientists actually decoded brain signals generated by moving pictures.

"Our natural visual experience is like watching a movie," said Shinji Nishimoto, lead author of the study and a post-doctoral researcher in Gallant's lab. 

"In order for this technology to have wide applicability, we must understand how the brain processes these dynamic visual experiences." 

Nishimoto and two other research team members served as subjects for the experiment, as the procedure requires volunteers to remain still inside the MRI scanner for hours at a time.

They watched two separate sets of Hollywood movie trailers, while an fMRI measured blood flow through the visual cortex, the part of the brain that processes visual information. On the computer, the brain was divided into small, three-dimensional cubes known as volumetric pixels, or "voxels."

The brain activity was recorded while subjects viewed the first set of clips which were fed into a computer program that learned, second by second, to associate visual patterns in the movie with the corresponding brain activity.

Brain activity evoked by the second set of clips was used to test the movie reconstruction algorithm. This was done by feeding 18 million seconds of random YouTube videos into the computer program so it could predict the brain activity each film clip would most likely evoke in each subject.

Finally, the 100 clips that the computer program determined were most similar to the clip that the subject had probably seen were merged to produce a blurry, yet continuous reconstruction of the original movie.

Reconstructing movies using brain scans has been somewhat of a challenge because the blood flow signals measured using fMRI change much more slowly than the neural signals that encode dynamic information in movies. As such, most previous attempts to decode brain activity tended to focus on static images.

"We addressed this problem by developing a two-stage model that separately describes the underlying neural population and blood flow signals," Nishimoto added.

Ultimately, Nishimoto said, scientists want to understand how the brain processes dynamic visual events that are experienced in everyday life.

"We need to know how the brain works in naturalistic conditions... For that, we need to first understand how the brain works while we are watching movies."
Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:32 am
Inedible Condiment

This makes me hyperventilate a little. I do not like.
Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:35 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

This is awesome! Matrix styleeee.
Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:57 am
anomaly
Loserface

I know kung fu
Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:51 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Now we can hook "terrorists" and "criminals" up to this machine and skip the courthouse...
Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:55 am
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

Finally, Built to Spill will be able to see movies of their dreams.
Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:15 pm
Mark in Minnesota

Quote:

Currently, researchers are only able to reconstruct movie clips people have already viewed. 

However, the breakthrough is expected to pave the way for reproducing the movies inside our heads that no one else sees - such as dreams and memories.

Probably not, unless P=NP. All they have right now is a kind of rainbow table.

This is a fascinating breakthrough anyway but the most interesting likely outcomes of the research are likely to be elsewhere.
Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:04 pm
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

Hm so whats cooler, brain movies or fast ass moving neutrinos? I'm going to go with the brain movies
Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:50 pm
tommi teardrop

The possibility of confirming or denying the existence of the higgs boson is making me cream my panties. But fast ass neutrinos and brain movies are pretty cool too.

And what about gravitons? Bullshit or what?
Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:11 pm
Finn

What Mark said.

Loving the rainbow table reference. That is some good shit.
Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:14 pm
mzehe916

I volunteer for the first kool-aid test. I'll blow their minds with my mind's movies.
Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:27 am
xGasPricesx

zagadka wrote:
Finally, Built to Spill will be able to see movies of their dreams.

This made me laugh way more than I should have, but it was needed, so thanks for that.
Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:33 am
poopsnack

This will be great for people like me, who have a beautiful mind.
Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:03 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

None of this will matter when the Stone-Like is rediscovered. We need Silverguns!

SILVERGUNS!
Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:43 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Who wants to finance the first batch?
Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next