Album Sales by Format-last 30 years
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

laurapalmer

Album Sales by Format-last 30 years  Reply with quote  

I kind of found this interesting.

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:35 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Graphic would be easier to understand as a series of still images rather than a moving picture. Still interesting though. Most notable thing I picked out is how the rise of the CD made the single less relevant, only to see the advent of digital sales make it popular again. That and apparently CDs existed in 1984.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:55 pm
SFR announcement

Seems like I was one of the very last cassette tape hold outs all the way up until 2000 or so. Haha.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:08 pm
poopsnack

I do miss the days where a release had 'sides'. That lends itself to some creativity.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:52 pm
futuristxen

Vinyl is coming back. Seems like more and more people are preferring it as the physical medium they collect, while they keep everything else digital.

There was an article I saw the other day that last year set a record for Vinyl sales since 1992.

Kind of mirrors some of my own habits of late. Which have been more toward getting a lot of disposable mp3 type media, and then the stuff I really like, I buy vinyl of because the artwork is bigger/better, the sound is different, and it feels like you actually own something.

CDs I think are for the most part aesthetically upleasing, and mostly just become clutter.

Will be interesting to see if that trend continues and vinyl really makes a weird comeback.

I was thinking about how in the end I'd probably like to do most of my media that way at this point. Stream/or download most things, and then the stuff I really love, I'd like a deluxe, well made, physical copy to have on the old bookshelf and display/be able to hold.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:26 pm
SFR announcement

futuristxen wrote:
Vinyl is coming back.

People have been saying that for years. It's simply not true. Vinyl is not "coming back" in any great sense. It is maintaining on a low sale level. Over tapes and under CDs. Vinyl will outlast CDs but it won't ever gain bigger muscles than it currently has.

Not only that, but it's costly and a pain in the ass to produce. Record stores and distribution companies will NOT maintain their business on vinyl sales only, so when CDs completely die out so will almost all record stores and physical distribution companies.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:50 pm
futuristxen

I dunno, if you google Vinyl sales the whole first page is links to articles talking about how vinyl sales are the one physical medium in the music industry that is actually going up for the past few years.

Vinyl sales were up 13 percent in 2010, and are already up 41 percent this year. It's still like you say a small market. And maybe saying "vinyl is coming back" isn't the correct way to view those numbers. I guess it would be more appropriate to say Vinyl is re-balancing it's market share somewhat.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:01 pm
SFR announcement

Yeah, it's been a huge talking point in the media. But it's not a phenomenon that's going to keep rising. When it became evident that CDs were a dying medium (2008-2010), major labels started putting out more vinyl. Because vinyl sales WERE going up. They won't continue to do that for a number of reasons. It's different in each genre. In fact, vinyl sales in hiphop have gone down dramatically where as hiphop was the genre that basically kept vinyl production on life support through the 90's.

How many people do you know who own turntables? How many people do you think will own turntables in 5 years? My guess is not very many at all. And by that point the only chain stores that hold vinyl will be doing so on a novelty basis, and their selection will be incredibly small. There will still be bands who press their own vinyl, and boutique stores (such as ours) that will sell vinyl, but it's pretty much for the love of the medium. Not because it's easy or financially smart.

That's my take on it anyway. I've asked around a lot with people on all sides of the industry and this is the conclusion I've come to.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:13 pm
futuristxen

Yeah it doesn't seem like the demographic that is buying vinyl right now listens to hiphop. It's bands like Fleet Foxes, Adele, and Bon Iver that seem to be the bulk of what's being bought.

Like probably if you read Pitchfork with any kind of regularity, you probably buy vinyl/own a record player.

Amazon is definitely capitlizing on it right now though it seems. They have a whole section of their store that is just vinyl releases/re-releases. I think that's where I got Cocorosie's last album from on vinyl. As well as the National.

But yeah obviously my perspective on this is going to be infinitely more limited than yours. So I definitely concede to being a bit hyerbolic in saying "vinyl is coming back".
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:23 am
english bob

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
Graphic would be easier to understand as a series of still images rather than a moving picture.

http://digitalmusicnews.com/stories/081611thirty

my last remaining tape cassette player had given up the ghost last time i tried to use it and my turntables are still packed up in a box from when i moved house. the only cd player i use is in my car. and yet, i can't bring myself to pay for digital releases. i'll still buy shit that i don't ever play, and then listen to the mp3s. wonder when that'll stop.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:22 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

im proud of my cd collection

CD's 4 LYFE

p.s. theres alot more than this too
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:00 am
Mikal kHill

I wonder if eventually rap will be like ballet and some theater stuff currently is... financed by individual backers instead of by the public at large.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:54 am
tommi teardrop

Good riddance to CDs. I don't think I've bought one in 4 years or so. Where do you buy DVD audio?

Downloads and vinyl all day.

I think Neuro is one of the only people to buy as many Wu-Tang CDs as I have. You have Papa Wu and Wu-Syndicate. I think that tops me.

You got any Black Knights in there? North Star?

Anybody ever get into these when you were a kid?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_Rockers

I had a sick Fat Boys Pocket Rockers with Wipe Out and Rock Ruling.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:11 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i have northstar in mp3 i think

i dont have black knights, i dont think ive heard their album too, i'll have to check it
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:02 pm
remind

Ha, I had that Wu-Syndicate joint.

Hey, CD's... I'll still try to get in your pants. And if you want, we can have a threesome with Neuro.

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next