Search
Register
TED Talks (wireless electricity)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

OM3N

TED Talks (wireless electricity)  Reply with quote  

So I have an invite to see the TED talks 2012 next year here in Bangkok. For those of you who are familiar with the TED talks you will understand.

Here is an example of what happens in the TED talks. Wireless electricity, it exists!
Sorry I still can't embed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgBYQh4zC2Y

WOW, he just did that............
Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:49 pm
RealJustice

I'd say go.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:14 pm
OM3N

OH belive you me. I Am There.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:54 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Tesla was born literally centuries before his time.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:01 am
Jesse

Surely by now there is a TED talk on embedding YouTube videos on phpBB forums.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:51 pm
Jared Paul

I'm def not going to start up another science argument up in hurrrr, but the idea of sending more EMR through the air worries me. When every cell phone is streaming internet, and there are wireless power stations powering all our gear wirelessly every where... how many radio waves and EMR will be passing through everything all day long? People are gonna wanna know what the long term effects are or might be. I just wish they'd address that shit during the introduction of technology moving forward.

Never the less, pretty amazing stuff.
Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:23 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan Shay

Jared Paul wrote:
I'm def not going to start up another science argument up in hurrrr, but the idea of sending more EMR through the air worries me. When every cell phone is streaming internet, and there are wireless power stations powering all our gear wirelessly every where... how many radio waves and EMR will be passing through everything all day long? People are gonna wanna know what the long term effects are or might be. I just wish they'd address that shit during the introduction of technology moving forward.

Never the less, pretty amazing stuff.

This isn't amazing. His whole presentation is bunk because if he told the crowd he's getting 40% efficiency at that distance they'd think "why don't we need a five foot power cable run again?"

Any wireless power pitch always at the end in either quick talk or fine print specs out poor efficiency ratings. I've sat through way too many of these getting manufacturer's sales hype on the new Qe standard. (pronounced Chee)

With in 5 years most portable digital devices will have little powering stations you just set down your device on your nightstand, no plugging in needed using this technology. At this point I believe we're looking at 80% efficiency if your device is sitting direclty on top of your coil.

I wouldn't be concerned about EMR on this Jared. The frequency they'd be operating at would be no where near the frequency water excites at, water excites at 2.5Ghz. (think microwave oven) To us humans that's the main concern. Eyeballs and gonads cannot dissipate radiated heat.
Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:51 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

iPhone already has a wireless charger no?

http://www.powermat.com/

I think we're starting to see the effects of putting up an electrical field around the planet already (studies show maybe cell towers potentially leading to bee depopulation, etc.). Nevertheless, you can't stop the tides. Just like you can't stop Chinese and Indians and other east Asian countries (1/2 the world population almost) from gobbling up smartphones as they become affordable.

Someday in the future people will talk about the days "pre-history", meaning before there was a digital record of everything. The internet was the beginning, the Patriot Act/recording digital phone, IM, email, recording of any digitized conversation was next, satellite's like Aqua and the rest of the A-train are already recording the earth from a high level, Google Earth, CCTV surveillance system, etc. are the logical next step in video at a lower level view. Soon enough you will be able to plug into the global network (power, data, gps) from anywhere. Places like Norway have already begun the trend of open society where this sort of thing is accepted and encouraged. How easy would it to put up 360 cameras on top of the existing cell towers? Wireless electricity in cases? Scary, or exciting, depending on the implementation and use, and your perspective.

Anyway, it's an exciting time to be alive. The only thing holding us back are things like, for example, Big Oil (tm) funneling funding towards fossil fuels. The path of least resistance (see: manufacturing costs) can change very rapidly at this point as we pass peak oil.

Those wrist-watch, all-inclusive gadgets from movies that appeared so far off 10 or 20 years ago have manifested themselves in hand-held-phones-that-double-as-internet-devices. Credit cards, SS cards, birth certificates, phones, cameras, the internet, music, whatever you can think of will be available in your hand, charged automatically when you are in your home, used for everything.

Ok, maybe this should go in the predictions thread...
Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Dan Shay

jakethesnake wrote:
iPhone already has a wireless charger no?
I think we're starting to see the effects of putting up an electrical field around the planet already (studies show maybe cell towers potentially leading to bee depopulation, etc.). Nevertheless, you can't stop the tides. Just like you can't stop Chinese and Indians and other east Asian countries (1/2 the world population almost) from gobbling up smartphones as they become affordable.

I think there hasn't been any study ever that has actually stated maybe potentially.

Take a look into the pesticide Imidacloprid, there's actually data behind it.
Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:43 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Jared, I just read an article in the Economist entitled "Worrying about wireless" that addresses your fears quite succinctly. I've posted the choice bit below, but the full text is at http://www.economist.com/node/21527022 if you want to read it.

The Economist wrote:
ALTHOUGH the myth that mobile phones cause cancer has been laid to rest, an implacable minority remains convinced of the connection. Their fears have been aggravated of late by bureaucratic bickering at the World Health Organisation (WHO). Let it be said, once and for all, that no matter how powerful a radio transmitter—whether an over-the-horizon radar station or a microwave tower—radio waves simply cannot produce ionising radiation. The only possible effect they can have on human tissue is to raise its temperature slightly.

In the real world, the only sources of ionising radiation are gamma rays, X-rays and extreme ultra-violet waves, at the far (ie, high-frequency) end of the electromagnetic spectrum—along with fission fragments and other particles from within an atom, plus cosmic rays from outer space. These are the sole sources energetic enough to knock electrons out of atoms—breaking chemical bonds and producing dangerous free radicals in the process. It is highly reactive free radicals that can damage a person’s DNA and cause mutation, radiation sickness, cancer and even death.

By contrast, at their much lower frequencies, radio waves do not pack anywhere near enough energy to produce free radicals. The “quanta” of energy (ie, photons) carried by radio waves in, say, the UHF band used by television, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, cordless phones, mobile phones, microwave ovens, garage remotes and many other household devices have energy levels of a few millionths of an electron-volt. That is less than a millionth of the energy needed to cause ionisation.

I could have said the same thing myself earlier, and this presentation is simplified somewhat, but I find that when a bit of scientific news comes from a non-scientific source, people trust it more than when it comes from a scientist (or a scientist-in-training).
Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:24 pm
General_Lee

This stuff is neat, but mehhhhhh. Word to what Dan said. Unnecessary lectromagetic induction at even the shortest distances is a waste.

jakethesnake wrote:
Tesla was born literally centuries before his time.

I think a dude like Tesla is the type that always dreams centuries ahead. Not that he wouldn't be having a blast at the LHC if he were alive today.
Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:53 am

Jump to: