Search
Register
Riots break out in north london
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

MCGF

why is this happening? I know about the original protest that kind of set it off, but it has spread way too much to just be about that. so its the economy? I can't imagine a similar thing happening here in the States (unless its a race riot).
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:25 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

This is like, nigh identical to Rodney King riots. Except those seemed to have a *bit* more purpose and a *bit* less wanton destruction. Then again I was like 10 so I may be remembering things incorrectly.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:51 am
mlanifesto

This article briefly covers most of the speculation about the whys that I have seen.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/09/uk-riots-psychology-of-looting

Quote:

just because there is no political agenda on the part of the rioters doesn't mean the answer isn't rooted in politics...

An authoritarian reading is that this is a generation with a false sense of entitlement, created by the victim culture fostered, and overall leniency displayed, by the criminal justice system. It's just a glorified mugging.

At the other end of the... spectrum.. this is a natural human response to the brutality of poverty.

A more pragmatic reading: this is what happens when people don't have anything, when they have their noses constantly rubbed in stuff they can't afford, and they have no reason ever to believe that they will be able to afford it.

Personally I guess that the austerity and cuts have a lot to do with it. When you're young and broke its easy to lose perspective. There are no jobs, benefits are low, and the already inadequate educational and work placement programs were butchered. People are angry and stuck, living in an angry and stuck environment, so they do dumb shit.

Comfortable people with a good wage or a rewarding job or people who have any kind of serious shit going on, don't run about setting fire to shit or robbing Iceland (think Food4Less) or JD Sports.

Mind you there are plenty of people living through all that who are not setting fires or looting. There has to be something else... No idea what makes that difference.

Cuts to the police budget obviously have helped this situation too:
The Guardian last year wrote:
The home secretary, Theresa May, has dismissed fears that deep spending cuts could undermine the ability of the police to tackle possible civil unrest, and insisted the British did not respond to austerity by rioting on the streets

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/sep/15/theresa-may-cut-police-budget-without-violent-unrest

Callous bastards on wall street:
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:06 am
outpatient

when you have a society in which owning shiny things constructed by eight year olds in a factory professionally is valued over treating people like they're worth more than their dumb job, this is what's SUPPOSED to happen when the pretence of playing within the system is stripped away. The end result is the same: a few people get xboxes and nice trainers, and others get shat on for it.

I find it hard to care whether or not people are giving a cashier money or just breaking a window and taking stuff, because the way our culture operates, it's a fucked and meaningless transaction from the start, you know? It's heartbreakingly shitty that a lot of people's livelihoods are in the crossfire here, and that people's homes are being burnt down for no reason, and I feel sorry for them, but I don't feel sorry for the breakdown of civility, or social convention, or whatever I guess you'd call it.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:59 am
english bob

mlanifesto wrote:
Comfortable people with a good wage or a rewarding job or people who have any kind of serious shit going on, don't run about setting fire to shit or robbing Iceland (think Food4Less) or JD Sports.

not strictly true.. the first guy up in court today was a primary school teacher..

Quote:

Alexis Bailey, 31, from Battersea, south London, who was arrested in Richer Sounds in Southend Road, Croydon, pleaded guilty to burglary with intent to steal.

The 31-year-old, who, the court heard, works full-time in a primary school in Stockwell and lives with his parents, was given bail but must adhere to a curfew.

^ about 30 seconds in, that's him walking into a lamp post :)
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:00 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charlie Foxtrot

But if that guy lives with his parents and he's 31, it doesn't sound like he does have a very comfortable life.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:17 am
mlanifesto

Was he actually a teacher? Bloke on the news was just saying he works in a primary school.

If Britain has got to the point where teachers turn up to court in a tracksuit and can't walk down the street without hitting their heads on lamp posts, I have to change my answer.

We're just a nation of fucking idiots.

All that said, my brother is a young teacher and he isn't doing any of this shit, but he is really worried about losing his job. They all went on strike the other week over the cuts.

There are some people who will just use the chaos to take the piss.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:51 am
english bob

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
But if that guy lives with his parents and he's 31, it doesn't sound like he does have a very comfortable life.

ha! no, possibly not. i mean, people are finding it increasingly hard to get on the property ladder, but 31 is old to have your mum cooking dinner for you every night. but he does have a 'respectable job', and doesn't quite fit the profile of what a looter is during this stuff..
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:52 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mancabbage

mlanifesto wrote:

There are some people who will just use the chaos to take the piss.

I think there's been a hell of a lot of this, the first night was legit, but since then every arsehole has been out there, no matter the size of their bank account... if you're a prick, you're there.

The guys that chased me were adults in a (non run down) car, i've seen decent cars full of hooded fuckers driving up and down green lanes, if you're organising a looting on your smartphone and turning up in a car with a sound system worth more than what you're about to steal, you deserve no pity... which is kinda sad because this is what people are going to focus on after this is all said and done

terressa may is a fucking witch

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16047604

sky news has posted names and address's of those convicted, just as the fucking EDL start showing up on the street, drunk, chanting fucking football songs. great idea sky, slow clap
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:20 am
mzehe916

NQT's in England tend to walk with between 700-900 quid a month. That isn't comfortable living at all.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:39 pm
Brynjar

Is it true that football firms who hate each other are coming together and protecting shops and houses?
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:39 pm
jakethesnake

This may be too soon, but every time I open this thread the opening scene to Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels runs through my head.

Hope you're all ok.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:14 pm
mancabbage

^ yeah seems like its finished now.

mzehe916 wrote:
NQT's in England tend to walk with between 700-900 quid a month. That isn't comfortable living at all.

Not a teacher, but I make do, sometimes on less, but then to tell you the truth I am constantly applying for other areas of work and not really getting anywhere, no idea why - I can shoot lazers from my dick in three different colours, but fuck it, s'all good.

Best thing i seen is this guy

imagine he gets nicked and thrown inside? All the people in there like, yo what did you do for your time? And he's gotta say "i stole some basmati rice from tescos'

:'(
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:06 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

jakethesnake wrote:
This is like, nigh identical to Rodney King riots. Except those seemed to have a *bit* more purpose and a *bit* less wanton destruction. Then again I was like 10 so I may be remembering things incorrectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots

"Widespread looting, assault, arson and murder occurred, and property damages topped roughly $1 billion. In all, 53 people died during the riots and thousands more were injured"
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jakethesnake

Bandini wrote:
jakethesnake wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots

"Widespread looting, assault, arson and murder occurred, and property damages topped roughly $1 billion. In all, 53 people died during the riots and thousands more were injured"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_England_riots

"Widespread rioting has occurred in England following the fatal shooting of a 29-year-old man in Tottenham, Mark Duggan, by officers of the Metropolitan Police Service on 4 August 2011... At least 111 police officers were injured. "

I'm not sure what your point is, except to prove that guns kill people? I'm willing to bet the property damage will be close to the same.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next