Search
Register
FLDS Leader Warren Jeffs Sentenced To Life In Prison
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

redball

FLDS Leader Warren Jeffs Sentenced To Life In Prison  Reply with quote  

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/08/09/139242075/polygamist-leader-warren-jeffs-sentenced-to-life?sc=fb&cc=fp

Quote:

A jury has sentenced polygamist leader Warren Jeffs to life in prison. The AP reports from San Angelo, Texas:

The head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints stood quietly as the decision of the Texas jury was read Tuesday. He received the maximum sentence on both counts.

The jury deliberated less than half an hour. The 55-year-old Jeffs was convicted Thursday. During the trial, prosecutors used DNA evidence to show Jeffs fathered a child with a 15-year-old and played an audio recording of what they said was him sexually assaulting a 12-year-old.

Here's a thread from the last time we talked about this:
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=676881

Very long thread about Mormons (and Jehovah's Witnesses):
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49465

A write-up on the FLDS:
http://lunaticfaith.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/flds/

So, I know we're all flipping the fuck out over politics, banking, and stock runs. (Well, maybe not we, because that would insinuate that I care.) And London has gone batshit. But I think we should all take a moment out of our lives to wag our fingers at this weird crap. Maybe have a little debate about polygamy, statutory rape laws, life sentences... ya know, fun stuff.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:52 pm
adic

I liked this quote from the last link...

"A CASUAL STROLL THROUGH THE LUNATIC ASYLUM SHOWS THAT FAITH DOES NOT PROVE ANYTHING." (FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE / 1844-1900)

I didn't realize these guys eventually get their own planet if they acquire enough wives. I want my own planet...

“The principle of celestial marriage is what defines the FLDS faith. A man must have multiple wives if he expects to do well in heaven, where he can eventually become a god and wind up with his own planet. A man has spirit wives in heaven, where he fathers spirit children. (Becoming a spirit child is the first step on the journey in coming to earth)” (Jessop 2007).
Post Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:49 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Paging Icarus.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:58 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Re: FLDS Leader Warren Jeffs Sentenced To Life In Prison  Reply with quote  

redball wrote:
polygamy, statutory rape laws, life sentences

Polygamy:
There's no way to legally make polygamy a reality. The courts would never be able to sort it out. I don't really care how many wives/husbands a person has, but these people steal from the government. Because none (or only one) of the women is legally married to the man, the rest are counted as single mothers, and bleed the government dry.

Statutory:
There's no blanket age you could pick that would work for every kid. But it's irrelevant here. The FLDS regularly marries men to thirteen- and fourteen-year-olds. That's pretty obviously way too young to give consent.

Life Sentences: You have to have them for some people. We can't let Bundy or The Unabomber out. Or this guy, because he ran a rape cult.

You know, this is interesting this happens now because two weeks ago I was reading

but had to stop because it was too disturbing.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:56 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

I do so enjoy Krakauer. I actually almost picked up Into Thin Air to read for the 3rd or 4th time last night (ended up just flipping through Ed Veisturs "Himalayan Quest" to look at the pictures). This thread is apparently telling me to acquire more Krakauer literature.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:55 am
Charlie Foxtrot

jakethesnake wrote:
I do so enjoy Krakauer. I actually almost picked up Into Thin Air to read for the 3rd or 4th time last night (ended up just flipping through Ed Veisturs "Himalayan Quest" to look at the pictures). This thread is apparently telling me to acquire more Krakauer literature.

Well, if you do, be prepared for some extremely upsetting material.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:18 am
mlanifesto

The most disturbing thing related to this situation excluding the stuff that cult got up to, is the way all the papers and TV shows refer to the guy as "Polygamist Warren Jeffs" like that was the oddest thing about him.
Cult leader or child rapist stand out a little more to me.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:27 am

Jump to: