Search
Register
spotify is the future
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

cas1ne

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
Some people complain about their pay being shit for what they do. Spotify pays a fraction of a shit. And it's legal. Which is why people are saying it's possible worse than piracy. Regardless, this is the way everything is moving and I've given up on trying to stop it. There's no use.

Some of the information on that chart is confusing. It only tells you how much an artist makes from a song purchase on iTunes or amazon. What do they make for a cd? Also, do most artists have low- or high-end royalty deals?

the bigger the artist usually the lower the royalty deal. I've talked with a few on indie labels that have pretty low royalty pay outs also but really good marketing. Indie is absolutely the way to go, but indie as fuck is even better if you're talking strictly cd sales.

also Tim please send me an invite. caswunn@gmail.com
Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:26 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Sage Francis wrote:
Some people complain about their pay being shit for what they do. Spotify pays a fraction of a shit. And it's legal. Which is why people are saying it's possible worse than piracy. Regardless, this is the way everything is moving and I've given up on trying to stop it. There's no use.

this is exactly why I like and support the hell out of the concept of Bandcamp. I'd buy from Bandcamp all day before itunes if more artists used it.

That chart is really fucking depressing.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:32 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

damn need to be a paying member to use it on mobile phones
Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:32 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Bandcamp is way better than iTunes as far as pay out is concerned, but it's certainly not where most people get their music. SFR's digital page offers the *best* pay out to us, but that, again, is not how most people purchase our MP3s. iTunes is the default. It is the wal-mart of digital music.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:38 pm
cas1ne

out of curiosity, what is the best mp3 market for strange famous,aside from itunes?
Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:43 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

That would be our self-run MP3 page:

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/downloads-c-1_17_18.html
Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:48 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

So have you actually received a check from last.fm or spotify or one of these stream sites?

Ignore me if this question is too forward.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:53 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I don't believe artists get checks from them directly. I don't know for sure as I have yet to research this, but I'm guessing that spotify and last.fm pays out to publishing companies and/or digitial distributors. Labels or artists get paid by the distributor and/or companies like ASCAP.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:04 pm
adic

To summarize the chart Sage posted...

- iTunes completely fucks over the artists - Labels seem to do extremely better using iTunes than any other method
- CDBady, pays artists well, and I assume bandcamp numbers are close. Too bad nobody goes there. You should start going there!
- You'd have to sell a lot of CD's each month, just to make minimum wage... when nobody buys CD's anymore... and if you have a low end royalty deal you are getting totally screwed..
- Hard to say about the streaming numbers since I have no idea how many plays artists typically get, but I would assume artists are getting screwed badly. 4.5 million plays a month on spotify just to make minimum wage? So you'd have to have like 50 million plays a month to make the average person income? I guess as these services get bigger artists would probably get more listens and thus get paid more, but whats to stop them from paying the artists less at that point?

Is there no mechanism to control the artists cut? U guys need to from a union... or sue somebody... no wonder Questlove can't buy no more houses from his mom...
Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:15 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

edit : nevermind
Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:07 pm
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

damn. didn't realize spotify was so bad for artists and worse then itunes. makes sense though. i guess i'll have to rethink using it.
Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:25 pm
anomaly
Loserface

I like to get merchandise at shows. Whatever cut the venue might get from sales, the artist takes the rest.

Oh and while I'm there, I might as well watch the show, have a couple beers, and get jiggy. Everyone wins.
Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:02 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

anomaly wrote:
I like to get merchandise at shows. Whatever cut the venue might get from sales, the artist takes the rest.

Oh and while I'm there, I might as well watch the show, have a couple beers, and get jiggy. Everyone wins.

Not everyone can tour. Not only that, not everyone can tour through all the cities where people may be willing to purchase product directly from said artist. I toured like a motherfucker and essentially became a merchandise distribution company but this isn't feasible for most people. And it's not something I can keep up anymore.

It's great to be able to have a hand-to-hand sale with fans and of course it's awesome when people make it out to shows. But the amount of energy, preparation and up-front COST it takes to stay in stock and travel with merchandise is pretty crazy. Depending on the artist and the album you're purchasing off of them, it's possible that they still owe other entities (perhaps a label or other participants on the album) per sale. And then, yes, sometimes there is the greedy-as-fuck venue demanding a cut on sales which still blows my mind to pieces.

So when people give me the stink eye for trying to sell a t-shirt for $20 or, god forbid, sell an album for $15 at a show...I want to explode. Whatever whatever whatever. Breathe deep. haha. I did my dirt. I pretty much sold my entire catalog hand-to-hand for $10 from 1999-2010. As if inflation doesn't exist. As if my own costs stayed in a frozen state from the DIY golden age to right now...the fools-gold age.

Boy, you unintentionally sent me off on a rant right there.
Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:30 pm
James Hancock

Venues demanding a cut of merch sales? That is fucked. It must be negotiable at least and probably the bigger venues. I've never heard of that.

I have been a part of 4 different albums and 3 of them are free downloads. Im very torn on the issue. I would love to make some money off of my music, but I think sharing it is more important to me.
Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:44 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

James Hancock wrote:
Venues demanding a cut of merch sales? That is fucked. It must be negotiable at least and probably the bigger venues. I've never heard of that.

The first time I saw Sage in concert, about a decade ago, was at the Royal Oak Music Theater in Michigan... It was just after Known Unsoldier came out and I wanted to buy it.. He denied me the sale and whispered to me to rendezvous with him after the show in the alley to purchase it because the venue wanted something ridiculous (20%, IIRC) of merch sales..
Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:19 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next