turntable.fm SFR group
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Asterax

I am in there right now! Come join.

edit: I am in turntable.fm/sfr
Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:57 pm
futuristxen

The SFR room is easily the worst Turntable.fm room I've been in. Everyone goes in with an axe to grind, and with very strident views on what music can enter their ears.

Everywhere else on Turntable.fm, it's a lot more copecetic. People even if they don't like your song are too polite to make you skip it, or yell at you about it.

You can't even listen to music in the SFR room because no song makes it more than 1 minute in before someone has lamed it and caused it to get skipped.

Also there's about 30 percent of the room is usually made up of people who have no idea what SFR even is.
Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:31 pm
Captiv8

In my experience the SFR has been nothing but pleasant. I had a very good session last night with Mortalthoughts, Remind, Stumbleweed, Dr. Sagacious, and outcast Prolific Memorie. Got xGasPricesx in here now too, and he's rockin it. Redball is just hanging out.
Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:18 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i kind of dont get the point of this unless maybe you are looking for new music ?

why bother , just play your own damn music
Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:24 pm
Captiv8

Camaraderie, mon ami.
Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:29 pm
Limbs

After a few days of trying I'm coming around to that train of thought. It's not giving me anything new.

It does drive me nuts when people play already over played songs.
Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:34 pm
Mikal kHill

I didnt realize my room had been posted about on here. That explains why so many of you kept popping in. ha
Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:03 pm
remind

futuristxen wrote:
The SFR room is easily the worst Turntable.fm room I've been in. Everyone goes in with an axe to grind, and with very strident views on what music can enter their ears.

You can't even listen to music in the SFR room because no song makes it more than 1 minute in before someone has lamed it and caused it to get skipped.

I've never noticed these things. Maybe it was just one bad night in the room and/or a select few asses. Nothing to take too seriously, either way.
Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:41 pm
Asterax

remind wrote:
futuristxen wrote:

I've never noticed these things. Maybe it was just one bad night in the room and/or a select few asses. Nothing to take too seriously, either way.

Same here. Most of the SFR sessions I have participated in have been very informal and laid-back.

Again, I think we should remember that if you join "turntable.fm/sfr" non-SFR board members CAN join the room. And other random turntable.fm users are more likely to join our room as there are usually 1-2 free DJ spots.

If you want a private, un-listed SFR-only room, use the link I created at the beginning of this thread: http://turntable.fm/4e10c0c714169c178c00b267
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:14 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Captiv8 wrote:
In my experience the SFR has been nothing but pleasant. I had a very good session last night with Mortalthoughts, Remind, Stumbleweed, Dr. Sagacious, and outcast Prolific Memorie. Got xGasPricesx in here now too, and he's rockin it. Redball is just hanging out.

I haven't had any bad experiences in that room at all. It's usually a pretty laid back, lost of good music interspersed with unlistenable nerdcore. Good conversation with people from the forum that I'd otherwise not communicate with and old members pop up randomly like Winfield or [name redacted] and [name redacted].
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:25 am
futuristxen

Whenever I'm in there, it's about the same 2-3 people plus an AFK Redball.

I've had good sessions with SFR people. Just never in the actual SFR room. Clearly I've been going at the wrong times.

I always get BluntedinMichigan, ProlificMemorie, and a belligerent JohnSchwaun plus a few random people not from the board.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:06 pm
redball

futuristxen wrote:
AFK Redball

This happens, but if I'm AFK for more than a couple minutes I'm not spinning. Also, having AFK people in there helps avoid the case where one guy with an attitude can screw up a room. The more people in the room the more people must lame a song for it to be skipped, because the skip happens when approval falls below 1/3. Also, if I'm the mod in there then I'm going to go AFK rather than hand it over because I want to boot users for exactly the same behavior that you complain about.

I'm not normally AFK, though. I live at the fucking computer and I normally go to the lobby when I'm not at least near the computer. Sometimes I sit in the room waiting for a second DJ. When there's people there and I'm not spinning then I do try to pop in and vote some songs up.

I'm not even going to address your complaints about the room. I think it'd be good if you gave thought to how those same complaints might apply to you, though.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:28 pm
JohnSchwan

futuristxen wrote:

I always get BluntedinMichigan, ProlificMemorie, and a belligerent JohnSchwaun plus a few random people not from the board.

I don't know what I've done to be considered belligerent, but uhh sorry.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm
futuristxen

redball wrote:
I think it'd be good if you gave thought to how those same complaints might apply to you, though.

I would say that they don't really apply to me, because for the most part I'm willing to listen to music I don't enjoy, because I know for that person that is the song that they felt was important to play. I've awesomed songs I hated sometimes, just so they didn't get skipped. So long as the music is going, it's pretty much fine with me. But I've been in there where it's skipped through an entire line of songs, and nobody got to play anything.

I know for a fact I'm not the only one who has had this experience in that room. Even if you all want to pretend like it. I have talked directly with people who post on this board, that hate that room because of the things I outlined.

Even you in describing why you sit in there AFK to mod, basically admit these things are going on. If the room was like every other room on Turntable.fm, you wouldn't need to sit there and moderate.

It's not a huge deal, because there are plenty of other rooms to go to on there. But lets not act like I'm being an irrational bitch about this.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:08 pm
redball

Let's be real, I won't deny that I have been AFK a few times, but it is far from the norm and never very long. And I only did it today to maintain mod, first and only time I've done that. During the day I would rather be in kHill's room anyway because it often has as many SFR people and some of kHill's friends. Last night I left the room open and sat in it the for hours waiting for someone else to DJ and it didn't happen until almost midnight. I wasn't AFK, I was doing homework and writing a blog post, but I was there waiting for a chat ding or the music to start. I don't like to trawl around looking for rooms.

I'm not saying that what you described didn't happen. I saw it once, the time when it happened while you and I were in the room. What I am saying is that I think you handled the situation poorly and shortly after the random guy left, you rage quit, and someone else left things magically cleared up. So either two random people were screwing you over or you're being trolled by Pro-Mem. I say that because I was trying to up vote things to keep from skipping, and I damn well don't down vote your tracks.

But it's certainly not endemic to the room. I can believe it's happened a few times and I'm sure it's annoying enough to not be worth the effort. But the only thing that I think characterizes that room is that people are more likely to play and want to hear hip hop. Personally, I don't see that as a problem.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:29 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next