Search
Register
Google Plus
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

remind

laurapalmer wrote:
I really like it. Organizing in circles is fairly nice. I have been actively trying to Tweet more (2 year old account with an embarrassing low presence) and sharing more in general, so this fits in.

I also have extra invites if someone needs one.

What's your twitter? I also have no idea what your real name is.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:04 am
laurapalmer

icarus502 wrote:
laurapalmer wrote:
I really like it. Organizing in circles is fairly nice. I have been actively trying to Tweet more (2 year old account with an embarrassing low presence) and sharing more in general, so this fits in.

I want you in my circle. I have no idea what your real name is.

That's by design on here in general, especially in my more caustic days. but we do fantasy football, so i thought you knew? what email should i add you on for g+, strangely it couldn't find you (you are still in AA, yeah?)
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:13 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

laurapalmer wrote:
icarus502 wrote:
laurapalmer wrote:

That's by design on here in general, especially in my more caustic days. but we do fantasy football, so i thought you knew? what email should i add you on for g+, strangely it couldn't find you (you are still in AA, yeah?)

Back and forth bu I'm in Louisville, for the most part, again.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:21 am
mancabbage

Jesse Custer wrote:
Why do I keep coming into this thread?

It's only going to continue to make me sad cos I can't get in :(

i have plenty of invites, it seems. post your gmail
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:44 am
laurapalmer

icarus502 wrote:
laurapalmer wrote:
icarus502 wrote:
laurapalmer wrote:

Back and forth bu I'm in Louisville, for the most part, again.

Shoot me a note at blackcrowseo (at the gmail) and i will add you with my real deal. hard to leave louisville, especially with kids in the picture.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:48 am
redball

mancabbage wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:

Also, if you don't have a gmail account: make one. It takes a couple seconds and you can use fake info if you want. Then go into your settings and setup mail forwarding to whatever email you want to use and forward all mail there. You don't have to use the account and G+ cares not that you just created it.

Also, since I pimped this everywhere else and I'm trying to push an agenda a bit: http://designofignorance.blogspot.com/2011/07/google-plus-modeling-real-life-social.html
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:03 am
Jesse Custer

cheers guys! Much appreciated!

my email is -

akhilpopat at gmail dot com

woo!
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/07/4-reasons-artists-are-loving-google/241970/

Lots of artists are posting their work on Google+. We got in touch with a few of them to ask about their experience so far. The response? They love it. As Carsten Bradley, an illustrator in Atlanta, Georgia, writes:

At this point, for artists it is almost like a social networking utopia. We get instant feedback on our work, and visibility far exceeding the capabilities of Facebook and Twitter combined. With the power of circles, we can share works in progress to select individuals and get immediate feedback and critiques without exposing the work publicly. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with those reasons. Maybe it's just because it's new and shiny. [But the truth of it is] that artists are really coming together here, and it's wonderful.

Daniel Ibanez, an artist and illustrator living in Fort Collins, Colorado, loves it so much he can see it becoming his primary art blog.

Here are a four things artists love about the site:

1. Google+'s image display page looks really classy. Art shines on its transparent black background. Not to pat our own backs, The Atlantic's In Focus blog has set up a camp on the site, and the results are awesome.

2. The traffic has been immense, especially relative to the rather paltry artist's private site usually receives. Eric Orchard, a cartoonist living in Toronto, says that the Google+ traffic is translating into a spike in sales of his work.

3. One reason for the increased traffic: Unlike Facebook, it's the norm on Google+ to follow people who are complete strangers. As Canadian artist Linsay Blondeau puts it, "There's no pretense of being actual 'friends.'" Of course, if you're an artist trying to market your stuff, reaching beyond the people you already know is going to be crucial.

4. Twitter, like Google+, is good for interacting with strangers. But Twitter's not a great way to display art (you can include one photo or a link to your site, but not an album like Google+ allows). Additionally, French artist Benjamin Basso points out that Google+ doesn't have a big spam problem (yet), something that can be a bit of an annoyance on Twitter. And the real humans on Google+ are a chatty bunch, giving artists an unusual opportunity to receive feedback on their work.

Below, check out our slideshow of art collected from the pages of Google+.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:16 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Maybe this is good for visual artists and not musicians? Tough call. Speaking as a public figure, G+ really isn't a step up from Facebook for me. And Facebook was a step away from the music promotion qualities of Myspace. Alas, if this is where everyone is going to end up then I will stay on board. I have no choice. I dislike it so far. I'm not trying to maintain several circles.

One good thing though, I finally figured out how to delete troll comments.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:15 pm
OM3N

mancabbage wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:

Would be awesome if you could send an invite.

jesserockwell26 at gmail
Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:55 pm
futuristxen

So far I haven't found Google+ superior to my unholy trinity of twitter/tumblr/flickr when it comes to marketing my art, or writing.

I don't even really know what my google+ page actually is in terms of linkage. And I don't have it set up to talk to any of my other networks to let people on those networks know that I've put something over there.

So right now it's sort of another place I have to go dump something.

In order of usage:
1. Tumblr
2. Twitter
3. Flickr
4. Wordpress blog

Big big big gap

5. Facebook/Google+

And to be honest the notification system is kind of obnoxious. I need to tweek it to where it's not updating me of every conversation someone has in a thread I comment in. You follow someone who is really popular and comment on it, you're going to get deluged. Facebook is kind of bad at that too to be honest.

For me Tumblr is the apex of creating/sharing/growing information.
Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:10 pm
futuristxen

Oh and the three sources I use most for following people, especially visual artists is: Tumblr. Google Reeder. And Twitter. And so far I haven't really set up my google plus as a one stop shop to acccess that stuff.

I don't get why my google reader and google plus can't be integrated some way.
Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:12 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

im enjoying google+ way more than tumblr for art news and stuff like that, you just gotta dig a little, still not alot artists that i usually follow on it yet but ive found alot of new ones ive never heard of, the rabbit hole is deep
Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:23 pm
futuristxen

I like tumblr because you can find new things from following the right agregator, and then you gateway into the artist who actually made the work.
Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:28 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

As it is right now, there's no sign that this is a better social network. Except for people who want to categorize the stream of info they receive from separate groups of people. That's it. Me, personally, I don't care much about that.
Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next