Search
Register
Tracy Morgan & the Homophobic Rant (Updated)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

That is hilarious
Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:23 pm
Jesse

jrspudsquad wrote:
Jesse wrote:
There are probably more than a hundred ways to punch a baby that would be really hilarious...
But when the world's funniest baby-puncher gets hauled into court
Can we verify that you misspoke when making this insane comparison? Tracy Morgan stabbing his own gay child on stage, i dare say, would offend me. And, you do not end up in court for telling a baby punching joke. I cross my fingers hoping that you understand the difference.
You gotta take your fingers out of your ears to cross 'em, baby boy. Tracy Morgan didn't go to court over his homophobic statements and no-one said he should. The analogy was just about whether something being FUNNY makes it ALRIGHT. "Alright" is not a legal condition; there are many different levels on which to tolerate something or not.

Sheesh dude come on.

firefly wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Michael Richards is not even an example of what you're talking about. For one thing, other comedians did not defend him - Black comedians by and large disavowed and censured him.
Watch the video and skip to 1:50 ish.
Errrrr the sympathetic part of that is a JOKE, my dude.
Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:22 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

i just saw this as a sidebar suggestion on YouTube..,,,
hil-lar-ious.. newsman didn't know what to think..

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:55 pm
firefly

Jesse wrote:

Of course it's a joke. but there's a point he's making that you're not getting apparently.
Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:00 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

firefly wrote:
Jesse wrote:

Of course it's a joke. but there's a point he's making that you're not getting apparently.

No no no, it's ok for black guys to make racial jokes but not white guys, just like it's ok for women to make misogynist jokes and not men, just like it's ok for gay people to make gay jokes, except Tracy Morgan (he's black).

In Jesse's world, it's only acceptable for the oppressed to be comedians.
Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:23 am
Mark in Minnesota

I don't think that's what he's actually saying. I think he's trying to make an argument that if something happens on a stand-up comedy stage that can be construed out of context from the rest of the routine to be unfunny and offensive, it's okay and important to condemn that comedian outright, and that there shouldn't be any requirement to assume good faith or to look for mitigating context or other explanations.

I think it's lazy in a way that leaves no room for nuance, I think it comes from a paternalistic worldview that actively looks for and values opportunities to express outrage, but I don't think it's the kind of overt double-standard that you're describing.
Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:04 pm
jrspudsquad

Jesse wrote:
jrspudsquad wrote:
Jesse wrote:
There are probably more than a hundred ways to punch a baby that would be really hilarious...
Can we verify that you misspoke when making this insane comparison? Tracy Morgan stabbing his own gay child on stage, i dare say, would offend me. And, you do not end up in court for telling a baby punching joke. I cross my fingers hoping that you understand the difference.
You gotta take your fingers out of your ears to cross 'em, baby boy. Tracy Morgan didn't go to court over his homophobic statements and no-one said he should. The analogy was just about whether something being FUNNY makes it ALRIGHT. "Alright" is not a legal condition; there are many different levels on which to tolerate something or not.

I don't think anyone here has said Tracy Morgans' bit is "alright" because it's funny. I argue it's alright because they are words that are being said on a stage in which almost nothing is to be taken in literal context.

What i would hate to see is comics being scared to try any offensive material in the fear of public backlash that could devastate their career. Watch any good stand-up routine and count the number of things that would be horrifically offensive if taken literally about race, women, etc. If you don't know what i mean, then you don't watch comedy, and you shouldn't.

I've heard Tom Segura say in an interview that he got backlash from the road bicycling community over this bit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/19/friday-night-stand-up-_n_810406.html
Yes. Road Bicyclists.

Jo Koy is in trouble because his fly was unzipped on stage, a man in the front row said "i see it" after it got called out, and Koy snapped back "what are you looking at faggot?" in a flamboyant voice.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/16/jo-koy-calls-audience-mem_n_878164.html
Yes, it was a really stupid joke and a bad gut shot attempt to be funny in a heckling situation. But people are demanding he lose his spot on Chelsea Handlers piloted sitcom where he was going to be a star actor.
Getting on a show is the pinnacle of making a living doing comedy and he's going to lose it over a one liner at a heckler?

I'm all for people calling a bad joke a bad joke. I know that being offended is not a choice. Feel free to speak your mind but please stop calling for comedian's heads over this shit too. If you're offended by a comic, don't give them your money. But don't try to rally a pitchfork mob either.

I really love stand-up comedy and hate to see walls get put-up around the art. And i feel for stand-up comics (i have a couple friends grinding in the open mic scene) who shouldn't have their career destroyed by touchy people who got talked into going to their first comedy show by a friend.

...And the only point i was making in my last post is that the actual action of punching a baby is not funny in any context. Someone joking about punching a baby in the absurdist context that they would never actually do it can be funny. Makes sense?

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:07 am
futuristxen

jrspudsquad wrote:
Jesse wrote:
jrspudsquad wrote:
Jesse wrote:

I don't think anyone here has said Tracy Morgans' bit is "alright" because it's funny. I argue it's alright because they are words that are being said on a stage in which almost nothing is to be taken in literal context.

What i would hate to see is comics being scared to try any offensive material in the fear of public backlash that could devastate their career. Watch any good stand-up routine and count the number of things that would be horrifically offensive if taken literally about race, women, etc. If you don't know what i mean, then you don't watch comedy, and you shouldn't.

I've heard Tom Segura say in an interview that he got backlash from the road bicycling community over this bit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/19/friday-night-stand-up-_n_810406.html
Yes. Road Bicyclists.

Jo Koy is in trouble because his fly was unzipped on stage, a man in the front row said "i see it" after it got called out, and Koy snapped back "what are you looking at faggot?" in a flamboyant voice.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/16/jo-koy-calls-audience-mem_n_878164.html
Yes, it was a really stupid joke and a bad gut shot attempt to be funny in a heckling situation. But people are demanding he lose his spot on Chelsea Handlers piloted sitcom where he was going to be a star actor.
Getting on a show is the pinnacle of making a living doing comedy and he's going to lose it over a one liner at a heckler?

I'm all for people calling a bad joke a bad joke. I know that being offended is not a choice. Feel free to speak your mind but please stop calling for comedian's heads over this shit too. If you're offended by a comic, don't give them your money. But don't try to rally a pitchfork mob either.

I really love stand-up comedy and hate to see walls get put-up around the art. And i feel for stand-up comics (i have a couple friends grinding in the open mic scene) who shouldn't have their career destroyed by touchy people who got talked into going to their first comedy show by a friend.

...And the only point i was making in my last post is that the actual action of punching a baby is not funny in any context. Someone joking about punching a baby in the absurdist context that they would never actually do it can be funny. Makes sense?

Yes to all of this.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:00 am
neveragainlikesheep

firefly wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Michael Richards is not even an example of what you're talking about. For one thing, other comedians did not defend him - Black comedians by and large disavowed and censured him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kth0UOU5a_M

Watch the video and skip to 1:50 ish.

KABLOWWW MOTHERFUCKER!

I need to see this dude live.

Also, funny thread.
Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:25 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Looks like he's turning into MC Hammer somehow.

I'm glad to see he still has all his stand-up chops. Great clip.
Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:35 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Sage Francis wrote:
Looks like he's turning into MC Hammer somehow.

Do you mean this in a metaphorical sense or that he looks like MC Hammer? I can't make any sense of it either way.
Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:40 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

He physically resembles MC Hammer to me.

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:53 am
box johnson

jrspudsquad wrote:

Again, my point is that people probably perceived Tracy Morgan was, for lack of a better phrase, punching a gay baby. At that point, the absurdism only adds to the horror. The quintessential example would be a co-worker saying something borderline rude, then claiming it was all in good fun.

And again, I'm not begging a question. I'm simply applying a theory of humor to a situation.
Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:43 pm
Sarcastro

I hate when comedians get buff, they lose a lot of their funny somehow
Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:26 pm
neveragainlikesheep

For some reason, Dave reminds me of Jimmie Walker.
Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next