Register
Interview w/ the Worcester Telegram re:This Sunday's Show
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

b. dolan
FBI agent

Interview w/ the Worcester Telegram re:This Sunday's Show  Reply with quote  

What happens when I try to answer broad interview questions at 3am:

This Sunday's show is at The Raven in Worcester, MA and will probably my last New England show for 2011. It's all ages, starts at 7PM and is only $10. Hope to see the forum folk there.

FB EVENT PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=230956030249130
============================================

Could you tell me more about your background and how you got into music?

I was born in Antarctica in 1981. My father was a Sealer and my mother was a Research Assistant who got drunk in a dive bar. She abandoned me shortly after my birth, and I was raised for the first 10 years of my life by my biological father there.

When I was 10 my father was permanently disabled by a fairly brutal hunting accident, which led to us moving to live with my grandparents in Hanton City, RI. He died several years later.

After that the story is pretty typical. Boy finds rap. Boy lives in isolation, becomes estranged from what little family he has, is homeless for a period of time, goes to battle with all of hip hop and the world and wins, shatters genres, meets Sage Francis, triumphs briefly and ultimately dies penniless.

You are coming to Worcester on June 26th. What's the tour called? Are there any special guests playing with you? What can fans expect when they come to your show? What do you like best about touring?

Worcester will be the first show in a somewhat sporadic schedule that's still being filled in, which will probably take me all the way through November. This show will be the debut of my new set for 2011, featuring lots and lots of new arrangements and new songs that I'll be trying out for the first time.

Joining me for the show will be a number of other acts, most notably Shane Hall, who's an incredibly talented musician from Uxbridge, MA that has been a sort of secret player on a lot of my past projects. He's a crazy multi-genre multi-instrumentalist song writer / arranger / jack of all trades, and his live chops are something a lot of folks could learn from. He never fails to entertain and I'm looking forward to his set.

Alex Charlembeides will also be on the show, and he's a performance poet I've been enjoying since 2004, and a tireless activist and organizer of the Worcester scene. I'm glad to have him involved as he's a peer that's been a fan and advocate for me for years now.

It'll be an eclectic, weird show with something for everyone. I feel fairly certain of that. As for touring, I like lots of things about it... but most of all the way it causes weak people to de-evolve into vicious, hateful, lizard brain monsters before your eyes.

What was the process like creating your new album, "Fallen House, Sunken City"? Could you tell me a little more about the album and your inspirations?

"Fallen House, Sunken City" is the latest in a series of artifacts I am creating for an Alien Excavator Race. After each of my albums is done, I encase them in 3-ton titanium barrel molds and bury them 10 feet below the earth. It's my hope that they will survive whatever nuclear or environmental crisis mankind falls victim to and outlive humanity.

In order to keep this hobby of mine funded, Strange Famous Records presses up digital and physical reproductions of my artifacts and sells em for me. So I can buy enough Titanium for the next project.

Alias is the producer who supplied all the beats on the album, and our inspirations ran the gamut, I'm sure. For the sake of naming some names though, I think the album sounds like: The Knife, Public Enemy, Kool G Rap, Ice-T, a young LL, Edgar Allen Poe, Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf's Cadet years, Aphrodite's Child's '666' album, haha... I might just be naming things I like now.

Any future projects? Where do you see yourself in the future?

As for where I see myself in the future, see previous answer. As for future projects, House of Bees vol. II: We Live in the Air Now is coming together now and features a lot of material i'm excited for people to hear. I'm also working on a number of big shows which will be announced soon. People can catch up with what's going on at www.twitter.com/BDOLANSFR or www.facebook.com/BDOLANSFR. Lot of new developments are posted there weekly and daily.

Thanks for the interview and I'm looking forward to playing Worcester for the first time in 4 years... See you Sunday!
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:01 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

It's amazing how we are basically put in the position to save an interview and make it worth reading when the interviewer asks the laziest questions possible.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:45 am
Astro

Answer the question you wish youd been asked.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:31 pm
Jesse

Glowing words for Shane! Nice to see.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:18 pm
Limbs

As I'm sure it's a pain in the ass for the interviewee, these are my favorite types of interviews to read.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Jump to: