Profile
Search
Register
Log in
RIP Ryan Dunn
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
redball



Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 6870
Location: Northern New Jersey
 Reply with quote  

Blaming alcohol for this allows people to criticize Dunn very passively. In short, they're blaming the alcohol rather than Dunn. It allows them to divert the direct criticism of his actions.

Also, culturally, we choose to ignore the dangers of driving. Instead we focus on other factors that we can attribute to vehicle related deaths. It's easy to look at the ~30k automobile deaths in the US each year and think about how these things might be attributed to things like drunk driving or texting while driving. It's less difficult to accept the fact that you share the roads with millions of inadequately trained drivers hurtling around in 2 ton, gas powered, land missiles.

We're pre-programmed not to question this part and we instead jump on whatever sets us apart from this situation. Suffice to say, it could be that the only thing that sets us apart is that we weren't on that road that night. Otherwise that twisted hunk of metal could've also killed any of us.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:30 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jesse



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 6166
Location: privileged homeless
 Reply with quote  

JohnSchwan wrote:
Is joy an emotion? Yeah, it's not a deep and profound connection like I've already said but it is one none the less. You can't honestly say some people didn't feel that way, you see where Alias was going with you telling people how they should go about their lives.
I don't, because I don't see how my skepticism can reasonably be taken as prescriptive.

Anyway this is boring to talk about.

Quote:

My theory about your lack of fun is just that you're always the salty guy here, coming to argue about anything and everything.
Yeah but usually I'm REALLY FUNNY when I'm doing that.


Quote:

You're bothered by a bunch of people being bothered by a celebrities death.
Only very slightly moreso than I believe they are.
Alias@anticon.com wrote:
Jesse knows the facts, ya'll. and he knows if someone could possible have some sort of emotional connection to Jackass or not. He knows the goddamned facts, and he'll let you know them. Don't you worry about that.
Isn't that what we're ALL doing here?
[quote="icarus502"]
Jesse wrote:
Jesse, I think a lot of people really do have an emotional connection to the Jackass phenomenon. It's weird that you'd have to have this explained to you. In fact, I don't think you do really. You're being obtuse.
Haaa I just accused you of the same sort of thing in another thread! We're so condescending.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:35 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Alias@anticon.com



Joined: 09 Jul 2002
Posts: 737
 Reply with quote  

redball wrote:
Blaming alcohol for this allows people to criticize Dunn very passively. In short, they're blaming the alcohol rather than Dunn. It allows them to divert the direct criticism of his actions.

Also, culturally, we choose to ignore the dangers of driving. Instead we focus on other factors that we can attribute to vehicle related deaths. It's easy to look at the ~30k automobile deaths in the US each year and think about how these things might be attributed to things like drunk driving or texting while driving. It's less difficult to accept the fact that you share the roads with millions of inadequately trained drivers hurtling around in 2 ton, gas powered, land missiles.

We're pre-programmed not to question this part and we instead jump on whatever sets us apart from this situation. Suffice to say, it could be that the only thing that sets us apart is that we weren't on that road that night. Otherwise that twisted hunk of metal could've also killed any of us.


Jesse thinks you're wrong.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:35 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Jesse



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 6166
Location: privileged homeless
 Reply with quote  

Alias@anticon.com wrote:
redball wrote:
Blaming alcohol for this allows people to criticize Dunn very passively. In short, they're blaming the alcohol rather than Dunn. It allows them to divert the direct criticism of his actions.

Also, culturally, we choose to ignore the dangers of driving. Instead we focus on other factors that we can attribute to vehicle related deaths. It's easy to look at the ~30k automobile deaths in the US each year and think about how these things might be attributed to things like drunk driving or texting while driving. It's less difficult to accept the fact that you share the roads with millions of inadequately trained drivers hurtling around in 2 ton, gas powered, land missiles.

We're pre-programmed not to question this part and we instead jump on whatever sets us apart from this situation. Suffice to say, it could be that the only thing that sets us apart is that we weren't on that road that night. Otherwise that twisted hunk of metal could've also killed any of us.
Jesse thinks you're wrong.
Oh?
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:38 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Alias@anticon.com



Joined: 09 Jul 2002
Posts: 737
 Reply with quote  

oh, you think he's right? so I typed an opinion but in a way that it was stated as fact and I could possibly be taken as arrogant and smarmy as fuck?

Anyway this is boring to talk about.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Jesse



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 6166
Location: privileged homeless
 Reply with quote  

Alias@anticon.com wrote:
oh, you think he's right? so I typed an opinion but in a way that it was stated as fact and I could possibly be taken as arrogant and smarmy as fuck?
I don't know how you listen to (or spend five minutes around) any rapper on this label if that sort of thing is a big problem for you.


Quote:

Anyway this is boring to talk about.
Go make an awesome beat instead, then. We both will find that more rewarding.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:52 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Alias@anticon.com



Joined: 09 Jul 2002
Posts: 737
 Reply with quote  

huh?

are you referring to SFR artists? you view them as smarmy and arrogant?

it's just the way you state shit as fact on a regular basis. like it's out of the realm of possibility that someone might have some sort of emotional connection with what Ryan Dunn had done in his life. And how Snooki somehow gets a pass in your eyes for people having an emotional connection to. Are you the popular culture gauge on this board or something?

I don't participate in R.I.P. posts when someone dies for the exact reasons that you were trying to say in your first post. I usually don't have a personal connection to them, so I feel weird saying R.I.P. because it personally feels like an empty gesture to me. but if it makes someone else feel like they have some sort of closure or peace with their death, who am I to say they are right or wrong for doing that? or that they are wrong for feeling some sort of loss?
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:13 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
anomaly
Loserface


Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 2540
Location: DFW, TX
 Reply with quote  

when creating this thread, I thought of calling "Ryan Dunn died", but I just went with the RIP format to continue with a set of standards.

It was more so people knew he had passed and discuss it. Didn't mean for it to turn into a high-horsefest.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Jesse



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 6166
Location: privileged homeless
 Reply with quote  

Alias@anticon.com wrote:
are you referring to SFR artists? you view them as smarmy and arrogant?
I am referring to them, but I do not view them as smarmy. Possibly a little bit arrogant, but I see that as a desirable trait in artists, and indeed almost essential in rappers.

This is what I mean more specifically though:

Quote:

it's just the way you state shit as fact on a regular basis.
That's what they all do, and that's what I like to hear them do. I don't always agree with the opinions they're flogging, but they do it with aplomb.


Quote:

like it's out of the realm of possibility that someone might have some sort of emotional connection with what Ryan Dunn had done in his life. And how Snooki somehow gets a pass in your eyes for people having an emotional connection to. Are you the popular culture gauge on this board or something?
A pass for what?? Nothing is going on with Snooki! Someone brought it up to make a guess about how I would feel about something! Who gives a fuck about what I feel about things! Motherfuckers should care half as much about what THEY think as what I do.


Quote:

I don't participate in R.I.P. posts when someone dies for the exact reasons that you were trying to say in your first post. I usually don't have a personal connection to them, so I feel weird saying R.I.P. because it personally feels like an empty gesture to me. but if it makes someone else feel like they have some sort of closure or peace with their death, who am I to say they are right or wrong for doing that? or that they are wrong for feeling some sort of loss?
I don't care. I never said anyone was wrong. Jesus!


Last edited by Jesse on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:28 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
anomaly
Loserface


Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 2540
Location: DFW, TX
 Reply with quote  

Jesse wrote:
Jesus!



your overuse of the quote function upsets Jesus.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:35 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
poopsnack



Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 2834
Location: Mid West
 Reply with quote  

Did this thread get so derailed and convoluted that I just read a reference to Jesse's fanbase?
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:28 pm
 View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
T-Wrex
p00ny tang


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 6338
Location: Detroit, Michigan
 Reply with quote  

Jesse is one letter away from being Jesus.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Limbs



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 793
 Reply with quote  

I like reading Jesse's posts more than the posts criticizing his posts, generally.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Disharmony



Joined: 01 Jun 2003
Posts: 2993
Location: Buried in Minnesota dirt.
 Reply with quote  

I like Jesse's posts.

And people do need to get their sensitivities in check and be a better human like me and Jesse. Some prankster died who was probably was an awesome person to his family and friends, but was very much a stranger to anyone else. I guess my lack of sensitivity blocks me from empathizing with anyone who genuinely is affected by this shit. I do understand the comments of "RIP" or sharing how he made you laugh or smile.

This is a situation where people like me should just not contribute anything because people's feelings will be hurt or ruffled, but that's the point of a forum I think. I am super tough and I only cry in church by the way.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mancabbage



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 9208
Location: london
 Reply with quote  

making people laugh is a brilliant thing, shouldn't shit on it, even if it involves sticking a toy car up your butt - that scene was fucking beautiful, i cried with laughter i got a shit load of endorphins from it and i thank that guy for those endorphins. fuck this .......OH MY GOD, YOU'RE SAD THAT THAT STUPID CLOWN HAS DIED!!!!! BUT HIS HUMOUR WAS SO LOW BROW, WHERE WAS THE SOPHISTICATION!!??!? WHERE WAS THE METAPHORICAL STATEMENT ON THE HUMAN CONDITION!!??... RUBBISH, HE FILLED THE AIRWAVES WITH COMEDY FOR PAUPERS AND THOSE WHOSE BRAINS REVEL IN THE PIG SHIT QUARRELING OVER CRUMBS WITH THE PIGEONS - HOW COULD YOU MISS SOMEONE OF THAT ILK!?!?!........ snobbery. shits weak on some kinder egg joffrey shit.

I ain't sad he died, i didn't update my smartphonerama but he made me laugh and I appreciate that so its a bit of a bummer, going out in flames is a goodun tho


Last edited by mancabbage on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:57 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:39 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon