Register
RIP Ryan Dunn
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Jesse

redball wrote:
jakethesnake wrote:
If he was a she you'd be all over this.
If this were Snooki I think there'd be more celebration and he'd definitely come to her defense. At least the stereotype of Jesse would, if not the man himself.
Yeah that's probably true, but also I would believe more people were actually sad. It's not about him being less worthy as a person, I just mean as a public figure I can't see what there was for anyone to latch onto, emotionally. I understand being fond of Snooki, to some extent.
icarus502 wrote:
I agree. My problem is with the way people talk about drunk driving, especially in America. I think people are just very stupid about it. I don't actually care about Ryan Dunn.
I got that. I don't drink so I can't tell if I ought to be concerned that you think six drinks in four hours is fine to drive after. Like as someone who would be GENUINELY upset if you died or something on that order transpired.
JohnSchwan wrote:
It's the same as someone caring about their favorite musician passing away.
No it isn't - favourite musicians provide a venue for an emotional connection; one-sided and essentially self-serving, but it makes SENSE to feel attached to and invested in someone who creates art that moves you

Quote:

Would you be appalled if you suddenly died and your fan-base ran to their smartphones?
Ha I can't really see being psyched about it, under the circumstances.

Quote:

You may believe you hold a moral high ground and produce something more worthy to the world than Ryan Dunn, but no one asked you to decide that for them, and many could say your opinion is shit to them.

He's a celebrity, people enjoyed him because they made him laugh, I mean if the guy makes someone laugh and alleviated some stress from their day that's worth something, even if it's based on dick and fart humor. I don't think you truly don't understand why people care, I think you're too intelligent for that, I think you mostly like to go against popular opinion to be the guy who's just so revolutionary and cool. Lighten the fuck up once in a while and just let people pay their respects.
Oh my god relax dude.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:49 pm
adic

icarus is on point in this thread...
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:58 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Jesse wrote:

icarus502 wrote:
I agree. My problem is with the way people talk about drunk driving, especially in America. I think people are just very stupid about it. I don't actually care about Ryan Dunn.
I got that. I don't drink so I can't tell if I ought to be concerned that you think six drinks in four hours is fine to drive after. Like as someone who would be GENUINELY upset if you died or something on that order transpired.

Trust me. Six drinks in four hours is not a lot of alcohol. Objectively speaking, a man of Dunn's size would not be classified as legally impaired after having drank so much.

Howeva, legal impairment and actual impairment are two different things. Drivers with BACs between 0.01 and 0.03 are involved in more fatal accidents than drivers with BACs between 0.08 and 0.10. Why is this? Well aside from the fact that a much larger group of the former are on the road at any given time than of the latter group, it's because one's driving impairment and one's BAC are strongly but not perfectly correlated. The other night, I was out with a friend who'd had three drinks in like two hours. In my case, I wouldn't be impaired AT ALL. In this guy's case, though, he was a nearly totally different person and was making a lot of crazy inappropriate assertions just because his low tolerance and high number of inhibitions got the best of him. Dunn may well have been more impaired than his BAC would suggest. He also may have drank much more than six drinks. Or in less time. But basing outrage on six drinks in four hours is stupid.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:01 pm
Alias@anticon.com

Jesse wrote:
JohnSchwan wrote:
No it isn't - favourite musicians provide a venue for an emotional connection; one-sided and essentially self-serving, but it makes SENSE to feel attached to and invested in someone who creates art that moves you

Jesse will tell you how to live your life, yo. He'll be all "you're doin' it wrong"...and you'll take it. Oh, you'll take it.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:02 pm
Jesse

Alias@anticon.com wrote:
Jesse wrote:
JohnSchwan wrote:
Jesse will tell you how to live your life, yo. He'll be all "you're doin' it wrong"...and you'll take it. Oh, you'll take it.
It's true; I'm the only person with an opinion on this board.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:08 pm
JohnSchwan

Jesse wrote:

JohnSchwan wrote:

Quote:

Would you be appalled if you suddenly died and your fan-base ran to their smartphones?
Ha I can't really see being psyched about it, under the circumstances.

Quote:

You may believe you hold a moral high ground and produce something more worthy to the world than Ryan Dunn, but no one asked you to decide that for them, and many could say your opinion is shit to them.

He's a celebrity, people enjoyed him because they made him laugh, I mean if the guy makes someone laugh and alleviated some stress from their day that's worth something, even if it's based on dick and fart humor. I don't think you truly don't understand why people care, I think you're too intelligent for that, I think you mostly like to go against popular opinion to be the guy who's just so revolutionary and cool. Lighten the fuck up once in a while and just let people pay their respects.
Oh my god relax dude.

I'm very relaxed, I promise.

You don't think someone who made millions of people laugh had any type of connection with these people? I'm not saying it's some profoundly moving connection, but I know that I love laughing. Maybe that's your problem you're way too serious, there's wrong in the world and there's things to be angry about but you seem to be angry about everything, you're upset that people feel emotion over someone's death.

They felt an emotional connection with his work because it provided them joy and happiness, so yes it is the same.

Last edited by JohnSchwan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:10 pm
Jesse

JohnSchwan wrote:
Relax down to the point where you don't feel moved to make a promise about it.

Quote:

You don't think someone who made millions of people laugh had any type of connection with these people? I'm not saying it's some profoundly moving connection, but I know that I love laughing. Maybe that's your problem you're way too serious, there's wrong in the world and there's things to be angry about but you seem to be angry about everything, you're upset that people feel emotion over someone's death.
Not to get into a contest of who is less emotionally engaged, but I think the idea that I'm upset about this is pretty weird. I just find it weird, and I don't buy it. Jumping from there to the idea they I don't like HUMOUR is just fan fiction. I don't know why you have to have a theory about me instead of just disagreeing with me.

Quote:

They felt an emotional connection with his work because it provided them joy and happiness, so yes it is the same.
yeahhh no they didn't.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:16 pm
dangermc

I am not sure I would call post thyroid cancer Roger Ebert "fat"
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:18 pm
squirtisblow

i wonder how bam and company will respond to the WBC:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/westboro-baptist-church-plans-to-picket-ryan-dunn

:x
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:24 pm
JohnSchwan

Jesse wrote:
JohnSchwan wrote:
Relax down to the point where you don't feel moved to make a promise about it.

Quote:

Not to get into a contest of who is less emotionally engaged, but I think the idea that I'm upset about this is pretty weird. I just find it weird, and I don't buy it. Jumping from there to the idea they I don't like HUMOUR is just fan fiction. I don't know why you have to have a theory about me instead of just disagreeing with me.

Quote:

yeahhh no they didn't.

Is joy an emotion? Yeah, it's not a deep and profound connection like I've already said but it is one none the less. You can't honestly say some people didn't feel that way, you see where Alias was going with you telling people how they should go about their lives.

My theory about your lack of fun is just that you're always the salty guy here, coming to argue about anything and everything.

Like I said before, I can't believe you really don't understand why people would have some sadness over this, you're too smart for that. He made people laugh, thus their memories of him are of them laughing, happiness, etc. You're bothered by a bunch of people being bothered by a celebrities death.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:25 pm
Alias@anticon.com

Jesse wrote:

Quote:

yeahhh no they didn't.

Jesse knows the facts, ya'll. and he knows if someone could possible have some sort of emotional connection to Jackass or not. He knows the goddamned facts, and he'll let you know them. Don't you worry about that.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:26 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Jesse wrote:

Quote:

yeahhh no they didn't.

Jesse, I think a lot of people really do have an emotional connection to the Jackass phenomenon. It's weird that you'd have to have this explained to you. In fact, I don't think you do really. You're being obtuse.

It's something like…

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:26 pm
JohnSchwan

^That's probably the best analogy for it, thanks.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:28 pm
tommi teardrop

The reason people care about ryan dunn, jesse, is because he, along with other reality stars, was observed living his life the way he actually lived his life. People watched him joke around with his friends that he obviously loved dearly. They watched him be funny. They watched his personality and how it interacted with his friends and they were reminded about the nuances of their own friendships.

An actor or a musician can die and apart from his/her friends and family, most of us just know the roles they played, the music we listened to or maybe we read or watched an interview here and there.

When people like Dunn, most people don't just think, "Fuck him, I never knew him," because we did know him or at least we knew him better than we know the average celebrity.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:29 pm
Alias@anticon.com

obtuse or smarmy. either or...
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next