Search
Register
RIP Ryan Dunn
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

artificially sweetened beverages never killed anyone.
Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:31 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Aw man, you mean one of those guys who does stupid dangerous shit to himself for a living killed himself?
Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:47 pm
Captiv8

Disharmony wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
Any way you slice it it's a sad end. The man is dead, probably due to some really poor decisions, but I don't think it's out of order to show a little compassion. That's not the same as condoning drunk driving, which I think we can all agree is a really stupid thing to do.
Drive drunk whilst speeding.......ends tragically. Nope, I don't see why anyone not close to him would have any compassion. If it's not true, well then....I guess it's sad.

Those are exactly the people to be compassionate toward. Dunn is gone, but those around him will be mourning for a while, regardless of how he died.
Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:09 pm
Disharmony

Don't want to be outlined in chalk? Pocket the keys and take a walk.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:11 am
O2K
SFF has a stalker.

was this the guy from the hangover movie?
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:37 am
anomaly
Loserface

O2K wrote:
was this the guy from the hangover movie?

Beards have been around long before Zach Galifianakis.

Not directed at you O2K, but...
This thread brought out some high-and-mighty mofos. Apparently no one has ever done anything stupid before.
Oh but when you do, trust that we're watching and we're running your shit through the mud, you moron!
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:22 am
redball

anomaly wrote:
This thread brought out some high-and-mighty mofos. Apparently no one has ever done anything stupid before. Oh but when you do, we're watching and we're running your shit through the mud, you moron!

Ridicule is a social function used to discourage unwanted behavior. When people Darwin themselves it is somewhat common to lack sympathy. This is especially true when during life a person demonstrated, or perhaps exemplified a lifestyle built around stupid, reckless behavior that any sane person would expect to shorten ones life. It becomes unsurprising and unsympathetic, so whatever emotions are left are easily shifted to contempt for the actions that brought this about.

For what it's worth, such social functions have cultural value. They help to reinforce positive behavior and ostracize damaging behavior. Honoring death by stupidity would send the message that this kind of death, and therefore the stupidity that led to it, is somehow honorable. While you and I may be able to know that this isn't the case, there are other people out there with the same psychosis that leads to this sort of behavior and it's not a bad thing to let them know by proxy that they are wrong.

So yeah, if I ever wile out and drive a Porsche such that it flies 40 yards off the road before finally hitting a tree big enough to stop it, then turns into a massive fireball that leaves the car looking like little more than charred tin can... mock the living shit out of me. I'd deserve it.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:47 am
anomaly
Loserface

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:10 am
redball

hahaha

Saying "shut your fat fucking mouth" to Roger Ebert is hilarious. It easily elevates you to asshole status equal to or greater than Ebert's status as of his tweet.

"No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride." -- Hunter S. Thompson

edit - Ebert responds:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/06/_bam_margera_i_just_lost.html
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:33 am
Disharmony

I get a nausea feeling even thinking about airing this type of shit out on fucking twitter. Your best friend is dead, man, get off the internet and just try to internalize that horrible feeling that's rotting inside you.

Fuck the internet and stick to real life at least until the funeral is over. The dude is only making the situation worse.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:43 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Sage Francis wrote:

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:54 am
Charlie Foxtrot

icarus502 wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:

Taking me back to when I used to watch The Price Is Right when school was out during the summer. Only show I've ever seen that advertised to old people instead of young.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:00 am
bbreakz

I don't even follow twitter and I sometimes look up Ebert's posts when people tell me how awesome he is. And its usually true, he can be so insightful and funny. I take no issue with Ebert's post.

I think the response from Bam is the exact response one should expect from Bam Margera when something harsh like that is posted about his friend. Whether it is true or not, its still harsh. But no one should be surprised.

This whole idea that people NEED to post their thoughts online all the time is still growing and foreign. There is no etiquette to speak of and maybe never will be. That's what makes it fun. People just post before thinking whether they are celebrity or otherwise. It leads to a lot of fails as well as people taking sides and posting obscene comments that follow and only make the tweet worse. Eventually people will realize that sometimes your thoughts and your opinions aren't worth telling everyone at that specific moment.

It the twitter world we live in I guess.

That being said, I liked Dunn a lot. It sucks when anyone dies that way.

That scene in Jackass 3D where he, Knoxville and Bam took the riot pellets to the body. He looked so scared beforehand. Cracked me up. He always had this voice of reason that showed he thought a lot of the stunts were bad ideas, but would do them anyway. That made me laugh.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:09 am
tommi teardrop

I understand the logic of saying, "Fuck that drunk driving 'jackass' and fuck his friends that let him drive," but jesus. I don't really understand wanting to say that on every social network and curse this guy and make jackass jokes.

I know we like to get on our drunk driving high horse, but it is possible that he died because he was driving a Porsche like an idiot and not just because he was hammered.

If I'm at the bar for 4 hours and have 3 beers and 3 shots, I'm probly driving home as well.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:22 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Sometimes when something like this happens, you're just shellshocked. You seek the solace of reading say on Twitter if the lost loved one has any kind of following, or on their facebook wall if they don't peoples' kind words of support to the friends and fond remembrances of the fallen. There's nothing wrong or pathological about that. At least in my case, each time this has happened, I've been able to come to grips with the loss and to celebrate the dead loved one in a really sincere and even deeper way by reading about how the loss affected others on social media. When one of my mentors died, it was really helpful to read about how others' lives were altered by her example and her writings. When my cousin committed suicide earlier this year, I was heartened by all the stories on his facebook wall that started to pop up as soon as the news was official. It was a site of true, collective grieving unmitigated by artifice, ritual, or the fear of saying something inappropriate in the wrong setting (e.g. a church). People shared stories of surviving shootouts or of casual drug use that were gripping and funny and sometimes disappointing but were ultimately fulfilling and contributed to filling out a picture of who he was, who the people who loved him were and why.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:32 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next