Search
Register
Buck 65 "20 Odd Years" 2LP & beautiful new vid
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

DeadAwake

Found this in the urban aisle at JB Hifi, which was unexpected. Damn their convenience. I certainly did not expect to switch on this album, only to be hit by an Alias sample.

An aquaintance was watching Rage, a late night/early morning music video program on tv here in Australia. He happened to catch the Zombie Delight video maybe 2 weeks after i saw it here on the internet!

Though after reading he got radio play here early on, it shouldnt seem so odd.
Any Oz heads catch any buck on the radio? Im wondering what type of push Family Sign received down here too.
Post Tue May 31, 2011 4:17 am
Z-0

DeadAwake wrote:
Found this in the urban aisle at JB Hifi, which was unexpected. Damn their convenience. I certainly did not expect to switch on this album, only to be hit by an Alias sample.

An aquaintance was watching Rage, a late night/early morning music video program on tv here in Australia. He happened to catch the Zombie Delight video maybe 2 weeks after i saw it here on the internet!

Though after reading he got radio play here early on, it shouldnt seem so odd.
Any Oz heads catch any buck on the radio? Im wondering what type of push Family Sign received down here too.

triple j have been playing paper airplane repeatedly over the last couple of weeks. cold steel drum, zombie delight, and whispers of the waves have also had a few plays. i too found the album at JB, on its release date, but in the metal section. prior to this album the only buck music i'd heard on radio had come from situation, and only on triple j (though i imagine 2SER in sydney probably play him now and then).

and i've never heard atmosphere on any radio show in aus.

i've only heard sage once (prior to his tour) when a show played conspiracy to riot. the host followed it with a comment along the lines of "that was sage francis, a new rapper from the US".
Post Tue May 31, 2011 11:40 am
DeadAwake

Is that on the Hip Hop Show or some other program? I barely listen to JJJ, though i did catch three sheets to the wind on there around this time last year. And of course best of times was on after the Saffran interview.
Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:52 am
Jesse

Does anyone else think "Lights Out" is the business?

I like the track with Gord Downie, too. That's Can-rock royalty right there.

I was a bit disappointed in the lack of adventure in the Leonard Cohen cover (speaking of Canadian national treasures)... the drums, synth and cutting during the string interlude are cool, but that's what I'd like to hear if "Who By Fire" got dropped on a mixtape. As part of a cover version, it fails to reinterpret the work in a new light. I just find myself wishing that Buck & Jenn were more in unison for most of it. That and the Hannah Georgas track are the album's only real disappointments for me.

The record is super dope otherwise!
Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:09 am
Jesse

Video for the first verse of "Superstars Don't Love" off 20 Odd Years, featuring the exact same producer/MC combination as the 1993 video I posted in that kind of useless new thread!!
Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:45 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Jesse wrote:
Does anyone else think "Lights Out" is the business?

It's absolutely brilliant. Not that I need reminders, but when I hear tracks like that I *am* reminded that Buck is one of the most creative, funny, and interesting weirdos that the hiphop community will probably never fully appreciate.
Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:57 am
Buddy Peace

I did the edits and cuts on Lights Out- he wanted to have a bunch of censored words on there and eventually degrade into straight up sound effects, and it was one of the most fun projects we've worked on. He is a ridiculously awesome person.
Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:04 pm
Captiv8

I'll be honest and admit that I much prefer Talkin Honky Blues or Situation to this release, but there are some absolute gems within. The Cohen cover is a surprising masterpiece, and makes me wonder if Buck doesn't have a side career possibility in some sort of folk incarnation. Superstar's Don't Love is a crushing banger that embodies everything Buck65 has ever done, and Zombie Delight is probably the best zombie-themed tune I have ever heard. But the best track is Whisper of the Waves, thanks in no small part to the interplay with Gord Downie. Simply a stunning song.
Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:42 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3