Search
Register
The New Comic Book/Graphic Novel Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Flossin

So the comicbook internet is all about the major DC reboot lately. Since I find it really hard to care for 95% of DC's & Marvel's output in the last couple of years, this doesn't affect me much (I do think it's really stupid though), but this post from Gone & Forgotten sums up a lot of my feelings on this and other modern comics related stuff.

http://gone-and-forgotten.blogspot.com/2011/06/make-way-for-dc-resplosion-or-why-we.html

This part sums up my feelings about the (mainstream, admittedly) comicbook industry in the last few years very well. I'm a really old man.

Quote:

...Bombast has always been a part and parcel of mainstream comics. Even if you remove Stan Lee from the equation, there’s no shortage of bold claims made in orange print and braced by a legion of exclamation marks on every fourth or fifth page of our childhood favorites.

“NOT AN IMAGINARY TALE!” it reads, “NOT A HOAX!” and “Do YOU remember THIS OATH which turned YOUNG BRUCE WAYNE into BAT-MAN?” Full-page in-house ads in garish yellow and orange, “THE LATEST FROM THE HOUSE OF IDEAS,” “the DYNAMIC NEW DIRECTION that will CHANGE COMIC MAGS FOREVER!” … “AMAZING! DARiNG! DIFFERENT! … AN IDEA SO ASTONISHING THAT YOU WILL SHIT YOURSELF! YOU WILL LITERALLY SHIT YOURSELF … AND THEN YOU WILL RUN NEXT DOOR AND SHIT THE NEIGHBORS! PREPARE YOURSELF AND YOUR SHIT AND YOUR NEIGHBORS FOR THE GREATEST SUPERHERO IN COMICS HISTORY! MARVEL’S GOT HER, AND HER NAME IS … DAZZLER!”

The difference is that – back then – you could just close the cover and the noise was over, no one was shoving superlatives, spandex and punctuation into your eyeholes. You put the book down, the sun shone, birds sang, and your friends called for you to come outside. “Come play with us,” they’d say, “We’re playing DAZZLER.”

I kid. We played ROM.

Some years back, however, comics were bought kit and caboodle by major multinational media conglomerates of one sort or another, companies which owned their own news networks, newspapers, magazines, television studios, television channels, radio stations, internet entertainment and movie studios. It was only a matter of time before these companies realized that these properties were eminently licensable – to the tune of literally billions of dollars a year - and therefore they had a vested interest in promoting them relentlessly.

Thirty years ago, if you saw your favorite superheroes in the newspaper, it was most likely an ad for an in-store appearance at Montgomery Ward by some unfortunate minimum wage earner in a tremendously awkward foam rubber Hulk costume. Nowadays, there’s round-the-clock coverage when Wonder Woman wears pants.

The end result of this – and what makes modern day comics so unappealing to readers in this aforementioned group – is that comics have basically become Morning People - relentlessly chirpy, in-your-face and over-positive - and there’s nothing more annoying than a Morning Person.

You're out of bed at oh-dark-thirty, sitting on the shitter with a full cup of coffee because it’s so damn early that even your colon isn’t awake yet, and you have to make sure you have time to catch the bus, so you’re shaving too, and then after a while you slump into the kitchen and pour your coffee down the drain because it smells like shit and has beard stubble in it for some reason, and you cram a cold Pop Tart into your mouth where it dangles like a cartoon cigarette as you accidentally slam your hand in the cabinet door blearily putting the dirty coffee cup back on the shelf with the clean ones and BAM, in through the kitchen door comes COMICS! Jogging up and down and beaming with the rosy flush of health! “You missed the best part of the day!” it says through laser-whitened teeth, “I got up at 3:30 and jogged fourteen kay! This month in Superman, the Man of Steel gets a fresh new look, but do these amazing new powers come with a price?

“Is that what you’re having for breakfast?” it says to you, still jogging, “That stuff will kill you. You really ought to try a yeast-germ omelette. Swear by ‘em! In a very special new Green Arrow, the Emerald Archer gets a new sidekick – who has AIDS and Asperger’s Syndrome! Mind if I grab a shower? What fateful decision does Spider-Man make in this month’s Fear Itself? Don’t you dare miss it – it will change the face of comics FOREVER!”

And then Comics all hogs the bathroom while you stand at the sink, blinking hard and trying to remember what it was you liked about that guy when you first met him. This is the thing you think to yourself as you hear it singing Smashmouth really loud through the wall and using all the hot water.

Comics! Fuck 'em!*
[/quote]
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:33 pm
Asterax

Anyone have an opinion about the reboot of all DC comics + new medium for selling?

I think both steps are a great idea. I'm more drawn to the fact that a digital copy for download the same day as the print copy. Its amazing that this hasn't been done before, although I've been told that the major comic book publishers are very traditional.
Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:20 am
Flossin

Asterax wrote:
I'm more drawn to the fact that a digital copy for download the same day as the print copy. Its amazing that this hasn't been done before, although I've been told that the major comic book publishers are very traditional.

It hasn't been done before because the major publishers didn't want to fuck up comic shops' whole business. With the number of comicbook stores decreasing all the time, DC & Marvel were hesitant about releasing digital copies of the new books that just hit the stands, so for a while they only sold the back issues digitally.

I think the reboot is not a bad idea in general, but so far I think they're going about it the wrong way (based on the one JLA issue they released, which admittedly isn't much). Also, decompressed storytelling sucks ass, and last I heard DC wanted people to focus on buying single issues (as opposed to waiting for the trade). Nothing happens in those books and you wait a month for the story to progress just a tiny little bit.

And I don't like digital comics at all.
Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:19 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

if i had some sort of digital e-reader like a nook, or a tablet , digital comics would be alot better to read and view the art, but reading them on the computer doesnt really do anything for me, with that said if someone knows of a great comic book reader program for the computer let me know im willing to keep trying
Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:24 am
futuristxen

I read some comics on the computer. I also don't have a fancy tablet though, so the digital moves by the big two aren't too big of a deal for me. If something is really good I buy the hardcover or trade.

I bought the actual JLA comic this week. It was okay. I'm not a super duper fan of Jim Lee, but I don't hate him or anything. It was a solid book.

But at the same time I also got Stray Toasters by Sienkiewicz, and Popbot by Ashley Wood--and both were a lot better and more satisfying.
Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:01 pm
Reggie

The reason mainstream comics publishers haven't been releasing digital copies simultaneously with the printed edition is because three years ago, digital sales comprised less than one percent of their sales. Now, it's looking to hit sixty percent by the end of the year.

I agree, though. These comic book stores are dead in the water.
Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:06 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4