Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i watched the apple thing with all the new upgrade/updates

alot of amazing things on the way this time around
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Well, really the only amazing thing is that people are willing to pay more for Apple products when other companies offer the same services for less money or even free. But those fanbois...
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:00 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

haha its funny how people automaticly attack apple like you just did

im not even a mac owner i just watched the conference about their new software updates and everything the icloud does and it really is some amazing stuff they are about to do

yeah apple is expensive but it is quality and you cant deny that they set standards and start great ideas
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:07 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

That's what I'm saying though. This isn't their idea, look from 2 months ago in this thread. They are like the 3rd major company to release this exact service, Google's is even currently free (APPLZ charging $25 a year). The only thing they innovate is packaging (buy buy buy). Not only that, it's not better quality. In my experience, Apple packaging is fancy but crap. They literally released a phone where if you touch it in the wrong spot it drops your call. I mean, that's about as serious of an issue as you can have with a product. You use it properly (by holding it in your hand and talking on it) and doing so causes it to stop working. Apple is the fleet commander of the failboats.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:09 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

well maybe i just dont know, but icloud is more than about just music and its free, the 25 dollars a year is only if you want to match your library of non itunes music to the cloud(, im still not down with that, rather keep it on a harddrive for now)

the icloud does way more than just the music stuff though , have you watched anything about it cause if theres something out like that already let me know i'll look into it

, wheres redball, did you watch about this , i wanna read your tech savy opinion
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:15 am
laurapalmer

I got going on Google Music.

Still running Amazon Cloud, still have dropbox.

Really uncertain what is going to win out for me right now. Each of them has a minor flaw I don't like, but each are solid in their own way. I was looking to consolidate it all in one spot though, and hoping to use something free. Maybe I need to do a compare/contrast post.

I haven't looked into the apple stuff.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:33 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i finally got a google invite and started it, but the upload was taking waaaaaaaay tooooooo long and was slowing down my computer bigtime so i stopped it, with apple you dont have to upload it, it just matches the music with the itunes so they already have it, and if you got something they dont, they will upload it for you, but most of it they got
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:37 am
redball

I'm only mildly invested in the Apple system, so I generally ignore their press releases. I'll probably read about it later once someone I trust summarizes it.

Is it really that revolutionary compared to the cloud services that Dropbox, Microsoft, Amazon, and Google offer? Nothing I've read so suggests that it is. I'm assuming that the disconnect here is that it's revolutionary because the emergence and success of other cloud services, that mostly cannot exist on Apple's mobile products due to their closed app store, have finally pushed Apple to respond. So, it's revolutionary simply because it's finally available... and it's only available because Apple finally released a proprietary solution after rejecting competing ones.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:51 am
redball

Neuro wrote:
i finally got a google invite and started it, but the upload was taking waaaaaaaay tooooooo long and was slowing down my computer bigtime so i stopped it, with apple you dont have to upload it, it just matches the music with the itunes so they already have it, and if you got something they dont, they will upload it for you, but most of it they got

I already addressed this at the bottom of the last page. There are definitely pros and cons to this approach, but it is undeniably going to be more tenable for the average user.

Me? I'm above average.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:53 am
Asterax

Just uploaded 3,000 songs onto Google Music Beta and downloaded the app to my Droid. It took about 2 full nights and a few hours during the afternoon.

I have yet to try listening to music my music, but I'll try today.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:59 pm
redball

So I stopped and read about it. It is absolutely not revolutionary in any sense. It is merely available on iOS and works within the Mac ecosystem. Otherwise there is nothing new to see here.

First, this is the summary I'm working off of:
http://gizmodo.com/5808952/icloud

Let's go through these features.

Quote:

iCloud will store your photos, videos, music, contacts and other files, which are accessible from any compatible device, whether that be laptop, desktop, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.

Google's ecosystem has had this since the onset of Android, with the exception of music and other files. I can easily sync my photos and videos with Picasa. My contacts automatically sync with my google contacts, which are then available everywhere that supports either gmail or imap. Google Music and/or Amazon MP3 solve most of the other issues there. Dropbox cleans up any remaining holes.

Now, there is an argument here for Apple's solution: It's more cohesive than the Google/Android one. There's one provider for the entire ecosystem and their applications are generally very consistent.

However, if you're not invested in that ecosystem then there are more downsides than upsides to this. The synchronization seems to be Apple-only. So many of the features aren't going to work as smoothly, if at all, if you're using a PC as your computer. You won't be able to share things as smoothly if you have an iPad and a Blackberry. The openness of the offerings that make the Google ecosystem work allow them to be used with a range of devices, including Apple's (depending on how much Apple has cockblocked them on a particular device).

Quote:

iCloud is free. That means every user gets 5GB of space to do as they feel with. Whether you want to upload video, music, photos or books to access on the go, it's your choice.

I have almost that much from Dropbox. Microsoft's cloud storage is 25GB. Amazon's cloud storage starts at 5GB and adds another 15GB if you buy an album from their MP3 store. Google's Music service is limited to 20,000 songs but it's completely free right now, and they give me 7GB for all my other shit.

Quote:

iTunes will take the tracks you purchase in the iTunes Music store and automatically make a copy from their servers accessible to you for syncing on the go (you can enable up to 10 devices per account). However, if you want to match songs that you havent purchased through iTunes, it will cost $25 a year to have iTunes match as many tracks as you want. Plus, what iTunes in the cloud matches doesn't count against your 5GB limit, which will come in handy for those with large music libraries.

This is almost exactly like Amazon's service. If I purchase music from Amazon I do not have to upload it, and in fact it doesn't count towards my storage total at all. The big difference here is that if you purchase content through iTunes you won't have much to upload initially. Personally? I don't do that because if I want unencumbered music Amazon gives me that for less. I do like that they seem to be going into past purchases for this. I was disappointed Amazon didn't do the same as I'd already purchased a few albums from their MP3 store.

Quote:

iOS and OS X app integration

I already covered this above. I'll reiterate, though. This has less to do with innovation and more to do with anti-competitive closed systems. Many of these things would already have cloud apps with syncing if Apple didn't prevent their creation.

Quote:

When you snap a photo, you can send it up to iCloud, where it will beam it down to your computer and other iOS devices, but will also live on Apple's servers for 30 days. Photo apps on Apple devices will have a feature called Photostream, which will bring up a thumbnail array of all the photos.

Finally, something that isn't exactly like other offerings! I kinda like how I can get photos from my computer to show up on my Apple TV. Unfortunately, since I don't own an iOS device with a camera this isn't of much use to me unless they make a way for me to send my Android photos to this.

Quote:

Remembering what apps you've purchased in the appstore can be tricky. Especially when you need to redownload or install them on a second device. iCloud now keeps track of all your purchased apps in a single list, and allows you to directly download those apps from the list.

Pretty sure this just brings them in line with other app stores.

Quote:

Now that iWork is on all iOS devices, it will automatically auto-save a copy of your progress made with the iWork suite of productivity apps, which is accessible by other devices.. That includes Pages (word processor), Numbers (spreadsheets), and Keynote (presentations).

Not an issue for me because Keynote is really the only iWork app worth using. MS Office is subjectively better in almost every way, and objectively has serious advantages. You can get very similar results using MS Office and Dropbox (as I have throughout college).

Quote:

Apps on iOS and OS X will have API access to store documents. Programs like Evernote could theoretically store and sync documents using iCloud.

This I like. Some of the other services allow for piggy-backing. Dropbox being the main one. Finally something a little bit open introduced into Apple's increasingly closed ecosystem.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:01 pm
Asterax

redball wrote:
Neuro wrote:

I already addressed this at the bottom of the last page. There are definitely pros and cons to this approach, but it is undeniably going to be more tenable for the average user.

Me? I'm above average.

That screenshot looks like it is from a Facebook App. Where is this from?
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:15 pm
redball

My router. It's DD-WRT from the WAN Status page. I took that early on the 30th, so it was probably slightly higher by the end of the month.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9