Search
Register
The new Soccer Thread!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Brynjar

Alan Shearer has scored over 350 goals in his club career plus 30 for England, he's won the EPL once.

Tevez has scored over 130 club goals plus 12 for Argentina, he's won the Olympic games, the EPL (x2), the UEFA Champions League, Primera División (Argentina), Copa Libertadores and Campeonato Brasileiro Série A (Brazil) and he's only 26 years old.

Clearly his goals do matter.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:59 pm
futuristxen

Right. The only club of consequence he's scored goals for is United, and he wasn't good enough there to even get a consistent job starting. Fergie preferred starting Berbatov or only going with one up top, to starting Tevez. Who then subsequently complained about his role on a title winning squad, and showed up the greatest manager of all time.

A trick he's repeating to Mancini right now.

Like I said, he has a small time mentality, and it's dubious whether he'll ever be as prominent for a real title winning squad as he is for teams like West Ham and City.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:46 pm
Brynjar

lol

He started 49 out of 76 league games and was sub in 14 games. And that's playing for Man Utd, a team with 3 world class strikers and often just one spot to fill. And it's not like Sir Alex wanted to get rid of him and he's said time and time again that Tevez is a fantastic player.

And that only club of consequence comment
SMH
Corinthians and Boca Juniors are huge clubs in world football and City will likely be a really big club in the next 2-3 years.

I'm not saying he's in the top 5 but he's def in the top 20 in Europe.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:33 pm
futuristxen

Brynjar wrote:
lol

He started 49 out of 76 league games and was sub in 14 games.

Bit of a misleading number because he played by default initially. Once Berbatov came he was third choice.

Sir Alex didn't mind bringing him back, just not for the money he wanted, because he's just not worth as much as City paid for him. Chicharito is a much better third striker than Tevez for just a fraction of the cost.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 pm
Windom

futuristxen wrote:
Windom wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
Like I said he's fine if he's your only attacker on a team that isn't trying to win anything(City, West Ham), but when he was with United he was very inconsistent and in the end Fergie preferred Berbatov or Rooney alone to playing him. He also had trouble playing a full 90 minutes with United because he was an out of shape fat ass.

Best striker in europe? Come off it. On current form, he's not even the best striker in England.

I said one of. Can you name a best striker in England going off current form?

Besides I think City are trying to win things - hence the massive outlay on players, coaches, facilities etc. You think Mansour is in it for shits and giggles? Before this season I think even you admitted Berbatov was an expensive flop too?

On current form that expensive flop is playing the best in england(5 goals in his last game--hard to be in better form than that). Form is temporary, class is permanent. Over the long haul I think Rooney, Drogba, and Torres are the best strikers in England.

As for City Mancini has already admitted they don't have championship ambitions. The locker room chemistry there seems poisonous. They play for draws at home. They have a much smaller mentality than say Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barca, ect. Those teams are in for trophies on multiple fronts every year. In that setting we have a fairly large sample size for Tevez, and he wasn't nearly as good as he was when he was playing by himself at West Ham and City. Heck, he's not been that impressive for Argentina either.

One game and he's playing the best in England? Even the most avid United fan must admit that before this game, against a severely weakened Blackburn team, that Berba, even this season, goes missing at key times. He hadn't scored for a couple of months previously if I remember. One game doesn't make good form. Maybe we're different but I thought form is based over a period of time/games.

We'll see where City are at towards the end of the season and see whether they win trophies or not. Mancini does play negative tactics but I think if there was even a whiff of a suggestion that City do not want to win trophies, even this season, after a huge outlay from Mansour, he'd be kicked out the door within a second.
Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:33 am
futuristxen

Windom wrote:

We'll see where City are at towards the end of the season and see whether they win trophies or not. Mancini does play negative tactics but I think if there was even a whiff of a suggestion that City do not want to win trophies, even this season, after a huge outlay from Mansour, he'd be kicked out the door within a second.

That's of course why City will be a long time before they win anything of any note. You can't do a revolving door at manager and expect results. I would not be suprised if Mancini is sacked this season. Which as with Mark Hughes is a shame because it's not the manager it's the players there. The players all are paid huge wages, and come in with bad attitudes and then get into fights with each other and their manager.

City are as likely right now to win a match as have it stopped because of an intersquad brawl. It's pretty hilarious.

To be successfull the boss has to be the boss at some point.
Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 am
Windom

futuristxen wrote:
Windom wrote:

That's of course why City will be a long time before they win anything of any note. You can't do a revolving door at manager and expect results. I would not be suprised if Mancini is sacked this season. Which as with Mark Hughes is a shame because it's not the manager it's the players there. The players all are paid huge wages, and come in with bad attitudes and then get into fights with each other and their manager.

City are as likely right now to win a match as have it stopped because of an intersquad brawl. It's pretty hilarious.

To be successfull the boss has to be the boss at some point.

Yeah I pretty much agree. Still only two points behind Chelsea but doubt they'll do anything this season - maybe a Europa League.

Also, Chrus Hughton gets the sack at Newcastle!? What the fuck. I think Mike Ashley is the worst owner of a football club in living memory.
Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:35 am
Jesse Custer

Mike Ashley is a fucking idiot.
Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:38 am
Asterax

Wow... Manchester United didn't have a chance.
Post Sat May 28, 2011 3:27 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be! Vinca Bara!
Post Sat May 28, 2011 4:07 pm
futuristxen

Oh fuck off
Post Sat May 28, 2011 4:19 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

futuristxen wrote:
Oh fuck off

Now you know how I feel.
Post Sat May 28, 2011 4:24 pm
mancabbage

Making a team like utd look like schoolboys.. Incredible
Post Sat May 28, 2011 4:31 pm
Captiv8

Terrific showing from Barcelona. They could have easily had five goals, no problem. I'm just glad the US got wise an actually televised it.
Post Sat May 28, 2011 4:52 pm
name

wow....
just, wow.

i agree that man u really have nothing to be ashamed about here. whereas 2 years ago i felt some animosity toward them, this time i almost felt bad. there is really nothing they could have done.
Post Sat May 28, 2011 6:57 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next