Search
Register
The New Rolling Movie Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Stormshadow

Here is a pretty good list of movies. This guys movie reviews are entertaing regardless.

http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_random_lists/the-best-in-independent-film-2010-.php
Post Thu May 12, 2011 5:16 pm
Self Conscious

just watched Fermat’s Room, it's a Spanish thriller. i heard it described as Saw meets Pi meets Murder By Death but it was very disappointing, its not even close to as cool as that sounds. Its more saw with logic riddles, it would have been better if it were grounded with math problems. The overall plot fails in the end.
Post Thu May 12, 2011 11:55 pm
doogs

ya.... so i know you love a gritty brit flick. fish tank etc.
so.. scottish films..
I just watched NEDS.
double grit!
might need subs though.

My other dirty scots storys.

My name is Joe.
Sweet sixteen
true north
red road

Breaking the waves ,,
by lars von trier is different from those above but awesome.

englands rough end.
scum
made in britain
the firm

dunno why but these films, i can watch often without getting sick of them.
Post Fri May 20, 2011 2:05 pm
futuristxen

I also saw Black Death awhile ago. Really enjoyed it. It had a good aesthetic.
Post Fri May 20, 2011 3:58 pm
Captiv8

I'm not going to make a new thread for a series, but I've just started watching Jericho. So far it's a really intriguing take on the immediate aftermath of a nuclear attack on the United States. I'm only two episodes deep, but there is some other stuff going on that I can't put my finger on just yet. Skeet Ulrich has a shady past, there is the mysterious (and apparently lone) black man who knows a bit too much, and there also seems to be something shady about the town itself. That might just be my imagination though. Great show so far.
Post Fri May 20, 2011 5:32 pm
Astro

Porfirio
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/22/136209008/a-man-commandeers-a-plane-then-the-silver-screen

"It's a film about a man, paralyzed after being shot by police, who grows so desperate for state compensation that he hijacks an airliner with two grenades hidden in his diaper.

What may be even stranger is that it's a true story — and in the film, the hijacker plays himself."
Post Sun May 22, 2011 10:09 am
Captiv8

My mom convinced me to watch King's Speech and I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised. First off, superb performances all around. Rush and Firth have a really nice chemistry, and I didn't find the stammering annoying at all. It was painful, yes, but out of empathy and not disdain. I still don't think it should have won Best Picture, but it was a terrific movie nonetheless.
Post Wed May 25, 2011 6:18 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

the new x-men movie looks so horrible yet its actually getting good reviews

whatupwitthat
Post Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:02 pm
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

I've been watching the older HBO show John from Cincinnati. Really enjoying it. After watching DeadwOod for the second time I was in nEed of some mOre David Milch genius.
Post Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:14 pm
doogs

cedar rapids was quite a sweet film. Id watch it again.
The trollhunter, norways blair witch style thing turned out not too bad, little sketchy beginning but some good stuff in there.
Drive angry had a couple of funny moments but yet to see the rest of it..
Pulp fiction style -fast cars, chicks, punchlines and gore.
Post Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:23 pm
selfworth

just watched cedar rapids too and really enjoyed it, i also saw hall pass and your highness, which i also enjoyed a lot. i just went to the drive in and saw x-men first class. i liked it. it took some liberties with the story, like adding a character or two and making angel a girl with dragonfly wings, but over all it wasn't as bad as wolverine, i liked it more than the third one too.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:17 am
Self Conscious

what I've watched lately:

The Host-
a cool monster film out of Korea

Once-
love the music in it but there's not a lot there in terms of story.

127 Hours-
a very visually appealing film, it's merit is in the way its shot and edited than in the actual story being portrayed.

Last Life in the Universe-
i seen people compare it to Lost in Translation which is fare on some level because its an atmospheric film but it differs in some "i didn't see that coming" sequences that i wont spoil.

Blue Valentine-
loved this film. its beautiful and painful. Might be my favorite film of last year.

Primer (again)-
a great time travel film based in reality and science. the last time i saw it was a few years ago so it was nice to revisit it along with a timeline of events after the film. it really helps to flesh out the story and so its complexity. the timeline also shows the greatness of the editing.

Timecrimes-
another cool time travel film through its similar in technique to Triangle which i watched recently so that spoils some of the fun.

Never Let Me Go-
this is the 2nd time i watched this in the last two months and it only gets better the second time. the knowledge you gain from the first viewing shows the greatness of the early parts of the film and make you look at things through a different lens.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:38 pm
Sarcastro

just saw X-Men. that movie was fucking awesome

it was like a really long, really awesome version of the cartoon series. So many cheesy comic book moments that worked so well even with all the dark shit. The story was great and everyone's backstory was just amazing. Next to Dark Knight this was probably my favourite superhero movie.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:50 pm
smake

Saw X-men too, really enjoyed it. Really a great begin story. I really like how they placed it in a realistic timeframe and managed too keep the continuity with the other movies.

Ofcourse, real fans probably know the timelines are a bit messed up, but to me it seemed like a perfect fit. And Michael Fassbender and James Mcavoy were really good.

Entertaining the whole movie.
Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:15 am
Self Conscious

just saw:

The Town
heard good things about it but there were just somethings that didn't work for me. the whole premise of the relationship between Ben Affleck and Rebecca Hall's character is quite ridiculous and almost pointless. the story should have just focused on the relationship with Jeremy Renner's character. that was much more compelling and important. i hated how Hall's character didn't give up Affleck in the end, you entire relationship up to that point is a fraud and he's not who he says he is. in fact, wouldn't she question why he was even seeing her. that didn't seem believable to me.

Somewhere
its a Sofia Coppola film, ill just say that. very atmospheric but little depth in the characters.
Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next