Twin Peaks
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

icarus502
kung-pwn master

Love Twin Peaks. Enjoy, C8.
Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:54 pm
Jesse

Overall I love Twin Peaks, but the flabbiness in the second season is almost unforgiveable. With Lynch's role in the light/dark; weird/straight balance left vacant so much, it gets kind of corny and dull for a while, and spins its wheels until it all comes crashing back into dopeness.

IMHO! I might give someone the advice to only watch season 1 if they were just starting and not a completist, but anyone who's made it halfway through season 2 owes it to themselves to finish it, to make up for the shit they've had to sit through for a minute or two. I think.
Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:27 pm
Captiv8

I finished Season One last night and I loved the hell out of it. The cliffhanger(s) at the end was/were terrific. Even though Lynch apparently had less and less to do with Season Two I am looking forward to seeing how it all pans out. Everyone has some sort of involvement with Laura Palmer, and the development of characters with a foot in both sides of the equation is fascinating to me. Josie Packard, Donna, and James are riddles. I'm getting a little tired of James' incessant brooding, but I suppose that's more the director's choice then the actor's. Should have the whole series wrapped up in a week or two.
Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:31 pm
Captiv8

Good Christ this is getting good. As the Dude would say, certain things have come to light and I can't make sense of it all. I really liked Leland Palmer, but now he apparently has a split personality, and he's the killer? Seems to neat and tidy, like with this Bob/Mike one-armed man guy. Ben Horne has been a douche the whole series, so his nefarious activities are no surprise. What's with this fucking giant dude and the super old geezer bellhop and all this don't trust the owls mumbo jumbo? This log lady has me baffled as well. I'm also waiting for Leo to snap out of it and whale Bobby right through the half-constructed wall. And what is with this dreamy avant oldies being played at the Roadhouse, a veritable biker bar if I've ever seen one? Seems like those rough and tumble chaps would want something more, you know, rockin. And Catherine as Takamura? I know the dude wasn't a legit character, but I did not see this coming. Soooo many questions, so little answers. I will say that it was nice to see David Lynch pop in as an actor for a couple of episodes. I've always wondered what his voice sounded like, for some reason. I just hop Norma doesn't end up being involved some how. She's too sweet for this kind of murder/doublecrossing nonsense.

Nobody answer any of my questions. I'm nearly done with the show!

I also have no doubt in my mind that significant portions of Alan Wake were cribbed from Twin Peaks, especially the sleepy Northwest town with a secret and weird lodge thing. Can't wait to see how this pans out!
Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:27 pm
Natty

I love the fact that I sign up for the board, and instantly see a thread about my all-time favorite director, Mr. David Lynch.

Twin Peaks season one is about as good as TV series get, although season two definitely lags in my opinion. Fire Walk With Me is a really great movie, and while people complain it doesn't answer enough questions, I think it's fairly understandable. Also, any movie with David Bowie in it rocks.

Mulholland Drive is probably his best all-together movie, although I'm a big fan of Lost Highway. Inland Empire is pure abstract expressionism (okay, maybe not "pure"), but a lot of people have difficulty with it because they try to find meaning or a linear storyline. He's said that he would just come up with an idea for a random scene, shoot it, and then see what that inspired him to shoot next.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:05 pm
Captiv8

Season Two has definitely proved to be much more meandering than Season One. Now that the murder of Laura Palmer has been resolved (a bit too tidily, in my opinion) there are all these tangential issues that are most likely propelled by Lynch's lack of direction. I am, however, looking forward to seeing where this Dark Lodge business is headed, how the Catherine/Josie conflict is resolved, and how Cooper responds to the DEA investigation. Speaking of which, after the episode were Major Briggs disappears I was thinking that the show bore strong parallels to X-Files, or vice versa. Then BAM! David Duchovny in drag. Great stuff. I am also really impressed with some of the performances in the show, notably Ben Horne and Leland Palmer before he was offed. Cooper has been portrayed with extreme consistency by McLachlan as well.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:42 pm
Natty

Captiv8 wrote:
Season Two has definitely proved to be much more meandering than Season One. Now that the murder of Laura Palmer has been resolved (a bit too tidily, in my opinion) there are all these tangential issues that are most likely propelled by Lynch's lack of direction. I am, however, looking forward to seeing where this Dark Lodge business is headed, how the Catherine/Josie conflict is resolved, and how Cooper responds to the DEA investigation. Speaking of which, after the episode were Major Briggs disappears I was thinking that the show bore strong parallels to X-Files, or vice versa. Then BAM! David Duchovny in drag. Great stuff. I am also really impressed with some of the performances in the show, notably Ben Horne and Leland Palmer before he was offed. Cooper has been portrayed with extreme consistency by McLachlan as well.

Apparently, ABC demanded that Lynch reveal the killer in the second season. He responded that the idea of the show was that the assailant would never actually be revealed (which I think is a super awesome idea), but I guess television contracts are harder to break.

On a side note, did you know Mulholland Drive was initially a TV pilot. It was passed on; I think we can all be grateful for that one.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:26 pm
barlow

Definitely got my foot in the "Season 1 is better" camp.
Season 2 plods on too much, but the last episode does make it worth the effort.
FWWM is a must.

So what happened to Sailor and Lula's boy??
Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:19 am
Captiv8

It's really bugging me that the episode directed by Diane Keaton (either no. 23 or 24) has great cinematography but a shitty soundtrack that strays from the reoccurring music that Lynch was undoubtedly insistent upon. What the hell, Diane? The music is a majorly unifying element of the show!
Post Sun May 01, 2011 5:26 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

ive been watching and i love this show

i gotta agree the whole laura palmer case was the best part (season 1 and the half the second season) im still finishing up the second season
Post Wed May 11, 2011 10:33 pm
Captiv8

Just finished up the series tonight. Not really happy with the ending, but I won't spoil it since Neuro has been watching. I'm hoping that Fire Walk With Me will clear some things up.
Post Wed May 11, 2011 11:28 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

just finished it

whhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Post Thu May 12, 2011 10:16 pm
Captiv8

There was very little resolution to so much, which is the problem with cramming in all those subplots. But there is also a problem with critiquing the second season since Lynch was only tangentially involved with the latter half. I understand that he didn't want to reveal the killer, but once that penny dropped there was a bunch of weird, but interesting, stuff that carried the rest of the season. That said, so many things just stopped with the final episode. What happened to James Hurley? Was he permanently on the lam? Or was that resolved when that rich woman murdered her lover? Surely Agent Cooper could have sorted things out. What the shit is going to happen with Donna, her family, and Ben Horne? Do they all reconcile, or does Donna finally see the Hurley wisdom and join him in Canada or wherever the fuck he went? I might have missed this, but what happened to Hank Jennings? And what about the love triangle between Ed, Nadine, and the diner lady whose name escapes me? Is Heather Graham dead? Cooper is obviously possessed. Pretty sad to see the old fisherman dude get blown up with Andrew Packard. All that chess genius wasted. I suppose all of things were meant to be resolved in a third season, but I don't know. Does Fire Walk With Me address any of these issues?
Post Fri May 13, 2011 9:15 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

and poor audrey got blown up too, im guessing there was supposed to be a third season maybe and it just didnt happen..but if not im thinkin leaving it open like that gives it more replay value to try and figure some of the things out

that Fire walk with me isnt streaming either , ill probally never get to see it now
Post Fri May 13, 2011 10:07 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

oh and

james hurley went off soul searching on a bike ride again

donna found out ben horne was her father, thats pretty much that

hank jennings got locked up again ,probally for looong time since he was just recently released

heather graham is dead (i think she was just bait for coop)
Post Fri May 13, 2011 10:41 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next