Search
Register
Looking for Headphone Advice
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

bakemosphere

Bose headphones are garbage, so are the beats by dre.

I reiterate the above poster in checking out head-fi.org, they have a wealth of information and all kinds of charts and first hand reviews.

Grados, shures, or Ultimate Ears ftw.

Here's a little guide if you don't feel like sifting through information, don't know how up to date it is, though.

http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range
Post Mon May 09, 2011 2:55 am
OM3N

Thanks guys for all the advice. i guess Bose sucks apparently :P

I am wanting to stick to Sony, as they served me very well in the past.
Post Mon May 09, 2011 3:50 am
Jesse Custer

mancabbage wrote:
my mate has a pair of those "noise canceling" bose headphones, they're by far the best thing ive ever heard... but i'm pretty far from an audiophile or whatever its called.

Does anyone know how to replace the cord on headphones? I've only ever bought one pricey (for me - £40) pair, they sounded amazing, but then... as always - they fucked up because of a loose connection turning up somewhere in the headphone wire. Now i just buy 8 quid things and wear em out till they break

That's kinda the philosophy I've followed for a while as a big fan of in-ear buds. Recently though, I was in HMV and the girl told me that all their headphones have a 1 year guarantee, and the Shure ones have a 2 or 3 years. I have never had a set of headphones last that long!! So I figured I could buy the Shure ones for £35 or whatever, and I'm essentially buying headphones for life* with that because they will break before the guarantee is up for sure.

* or at least til HMV goes bust.. which may be sooner rather than later.
Post Mon May 09, 2011 6:27 am
Buddy Peace

Looks like they've been discontinued but these are great:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/f9450db308d97785/index.html

I've had em for years and they're rock solid. They take a mini AAA battery but it's worth it.
Post Mon May 09, 2011 7:27 am
redball

mancabbage wrote:
Does anyone know how to replace the cord on headphones? I've only ever bought one pricey (for me - £40) pair, they sounded amazing, but then... as always - they fucked up because of a loose connection turning up somewhere in the headphone wire. Now i just buy 8 quid things and wear em out till they break

Basically, you need a new cord (like the one from a cheap set of headphones) and a soldering iron. But, you also need to be able to get into the headphones without killing them. Sometimes earbuds are glued together and removing that glue is nearly impossible without destroying the case. Assuming you have the parts and tools for that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6BMEDrqLDE
Post Mon May 09, 2011 8:17 am
mancabbage

damn, looks like a nightmare. Thats the reason i could never pay through the nose for some - they all have the same weakpoint in the cable... if you wear them out and about enough, they will get worn and break somewhere. just seems like hassle
Post Mon May 09, 2011 8:36 am
Mark in Minnesota

My favorite headphones (in your price range, no less) are still the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. I've had my set for about 10 years now and I'm already on my second set of pads and on my second cord. I was able to install the replacement cord with no tools but a screwdriver.
Post Mon May 09, 2011 9:20 am
excellrec

Out of your price range but worth it-

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=beyerdynamic+dt770&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2354428264303212339&sa=X&ei=wS_ITZnyCobW0QGD55j4Bw&ved=0CEoQ8wIwAg#

I've owned Grado's, unfortunately multiple pairs of sony's, AKG's Sennheisers, Audio Technica's.. These have by far shown the most durability and highest comfort level with sound second only to the Grado's.

For your price range I would also recommend these-

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=cbq&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=akg+240&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=578&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8052845169394522861&sa=X&ei=fTDITf_dJube0QGGyaz9Bw&ved=0CEoQ8wIwAQ#

These are cheaper but still pretty good. They are probably as durable as the Beyer's but don't sound quite as good and aren't quite as comfortable.

Be mindful of the resistance (denoted in ohms) of the headphones you buy. If you are unfamiliar with the relevance of this, more resistance equals quieter headphones (impedes the electrical force of the amp more) and lower resistance means louder.. so it's inverted. If you have a high power amp youre running then it doesnt really matter but if you're using a low power mp3 player then higher resistance headphones (around 100 or above) may prove too quiet for you depending on your tastes.
Post Mon May 09, 2011 12:24 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

bakemosphere wrote:

I reiterate the above poster in checking out head-fi.org, they have a wealth of information and all kinds of charts and first hand reviews.

Here's a little guide if you don't feel like sifting through information, don't know how up to date it is, though.

So bose sucks, except for the bose headphones that are suggested in the link you posted and that 3 other people have sworn by in this thread?

Quote:

$250 - $500

Closed Full-size

1,2 - Bose QC15 [$299]: The best active noise canceling headphone by far. Good sound stage and presence. Light on the bass. The noise cancellation might distort the music though.
Post Mon May 09, 2011 12:38 pm
bakemosphere

I've actually been thinking of buying those Beyerdynamic cans, been looking into a new set but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've heard good things, I just can't decide whether to grab those or some in ear monitors.
Post Mon May 09, 2011 12:39 pm
bakemosphere

jakethesnake wrote:
bakemosphere wrote:

So bose sucks, except for the bose headphones that are suggested in the link you posted and that 3 other people have sworn by in this thread?

Quote:

$250 - $500

Closed Full-size

1,2 - Bose QC15 [$299]: The best active noise canceling headphone by far. Good sound stage and presence. Light on the bass. The noise cancellation might distort the music though.

There's one set of Bose cans on that list out of how many? I don't think $250-$500 was in the price range, either. The majority of Bose headphones ARE garbage in comparison to other brands. There are definitely way better bangs for your buck than Bose, they're typically overpriced and underperform compared to other cans similarly priced. If you venture into their forums, you will see that a large majority of their users feel the same way and they are much more articulate and well-versed in this sort of thing than I am, and I'd wager than most of the people in this thread. Believe what you want, I'm just trying to provide some information, and most "audiophiles" would reiterate my statements, to those with untrained ears you probably won't notice too much of a difference.
Post Mon May 09, 2011 12:45 pm
excellrec

bakemosphere wrote:
I've actually been thinking of buying those Beyerdynamic cans, been looking into a new set but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've heard good things, I just can't decide whether to grab those or some in ear monitors.

In my experience In ear-monitors are usually impossibly uncomfortable, get incredibly disgusting and gobbed up with ear wax and are relatively way more delicate than the bigger over ear types. That said they do cancel noise great and sound great with very little power.
Post Mon May 09, 2011 12:57 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

I'm just pointing out that you literally said "bose sucks" then posted a link to someone saying "bose doesn't suck" in the same breath.

Also you're not a true audiophile unless you've stayed here:

http://www.linkwitzrentals.com/honeymoon_cottage.htm
Post Mon May 09, 2011 1:00 pm
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair

Bose actually do suck. Anything "noise canceling" sucks.

I've taken these on every tour I have been on since 2007. I've stepped on them and they don't break. Their sound is incredible compared to any of this Beats By Dre, Bose Noise canceling, blah blah bullshit. I fall asleep in them because they are so comfortable on your head.

I paid $320 for em but I am pretty sure the price is less at this point:

Beyer Dynamic DT770

Post Mon May 09, 2011 1:31 pm
bakemosphere

I still stand by my opinion that they do suck. I didn't realize I was going to be going through a thorough crossexamination on the matter where each word was going to be nitpicked, if I thought we were going to be this serious then I figured the person making a couple hundred dollar purchase would put more time in researching their purchase than reading a couple forum posts and one link where only 1/50 headphones invalidated my point. Next time I'll be sure my posts meet your stringent criteria.
Post Mon May 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next