Search
Register
Game of Thrones on HBO
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

AdamBomb

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
So what is it? Like Narnia?

I havent read the book, so I dont know if it gets all magical, but lets just say the typical Narnia fan would have to have their eyes covered up by their mommy when watching this. Plenty of nudity and debachery, fucked up situations and a badass dwarf that gets lots of play and is a smartass. Its on HBO, so you get the HBO filter instead of the Disney/PG-3 treatment.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:02 pm
Flossin

ROTTY wrote:

Ghost does apear in the second episode. There is a wide shot of the camp where the bastard and Dwarf are about to have a conversation and you see ghost sitting there.

Thanks, that's what I meant. Must have missed him in that scene.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:15 am
note1

Just realized that I haven't read these books or really plan on watching the show, but i've been fully following the online reaction and disection of this show just the same. Guess I'm just rooting for another dope tv show.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:12 am
Shika
shy wench

So far I'm digging it and to my surprise my wife is too.

Question; why is the dwarf going with the bastard (It'll probably take a few seasons for me to remember names) to the Wall?
Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:19 pm
Flossin

Shika wrote:
So far I'm digging it and to my surprise my wife is too.

Question; why is the dwarf going with the bastard (It'll probably take a few seasons for me to remember names) to the Wall?

To see it, I guess? I never read the books, but what I got from the show was that he wanted to see it cause it's quite an impressive and famous man-made structure? Haha, somebody please school me if I'm making an idiot out of myself.
And I don't remember their names yet either.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:22 pm
xGasPricesx

AdamBomb wrote:
Raoul DeGroot wrote:
So what is it? Like Narnia?

I havent read the book, so I dont know if it gets all magical, but lets just say the typical Narnia fan would have to have their eyes covered up by their mommy when watching this. Plenty of nudity and debachery, fucked up situations and a badass dwarf that gets lots of play and is a smartass. Its on HBO, so you get the HBO filter instead of the Disney/PG-3 treatment.

And then there's the rape. This show is very rapey.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:01 pm
Raoul DeGroot

These fucking trickass Lannisters need to get pwned real bad.
Starks need to 187 these fools. That better happen or I'm gonna be pissed. Minus lil' man of course.
Lannisters be lying and getting me pissed.

Is there a lot of raping? Just that blonde chick it seems.
People were rapey back then though. 80% of marital sex was equivalent to modern day rape.
Post Sun May 01, 2011 3:25 pm
xGasPricesx

Raoul DeGroot wrote:

Is there a lot of raping? Just that blonde chick it seems.
People were rapey back then though. 80% of marital sex was equivalent to modern day rape.

There's a pretty rapey tone throughout the first episode, which is the only one I've seen so far, so maybe it gets better. When was back then though? I thought this was a fantasy show? I realize that the show is sort of based on a real historical time period, but it could've gone a different direction with some of the women characters.

It's not like it's ruined the show completely or anything for me, and I'd probably be a little more lenient with it if George R.R. Martin didn't seem to have such a misogynistic stripe in him, but it's something I definitely noticed in the first episode.
Post Sun May 01, 2011 4:09 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

xGasPricesx wrote:
if George R.R. Martin didn't seem to have such a misogynistic stripe in him

???

Are you suggesting that the depictions of rape are pro-rape?
Post Sun May 01, 2011 4:46 pm
Raoul DeGroot

I just read all the damn wikipedias on this show and spoiled it all.
At least I know the characters I shouldn't grow too attached to.
Snape kills Dumbledorg.
Post Sun May 01, 2011 4:54 pm
xGasPricesx

No. That was meant to be separate from the rape and more on the tip of all the female characters seem to be either a whore, a handmaiden, or a subservient wife. The Stark wife character is one that sort of broke this mold, but still pretty much falls into category number three. Maybe it gets better, I've never read the books myself, I just had a group of friends that really liked the series for the most part, but seemed to be of the opinion that Martin is kind of a chauvinist.

I'm going to keep watching the show, even though fantasy isn't really my thing, I'm interested to see where it goes. Just wouldn't mind seeing some stronger female characters in the show, that's all.
Post Sun May 01, 2011 5:02 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

xGasPricesx wrote:
No. That was meant to be separate from the rape and more on the tip of all the female characters seem to be either a whore, a handmaiden, or a subservient wife.

This is not a fair taxonomy at all. But to go further would be spoling shit for seasons on end. Strong and complex female characters come through in abundance, including some who've already introduced and others that won't come around until seasons 2 or 4.
Post Sun May 01, 2011 5:31 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Yeah, no shit.

Sounds like you're doing some suspicious projecting, gaspricesx!

By the way, why is your name gasprices with the x's? Were you upset with gas prices at the time?
Post Sun May 01, 2011 5:42 pm
xGasPricesx

icarus502 wrote:
xGasPricesx wrote:
No. That was meant to be separate from the rape and more on the tip of all the female characters seem to be either a whore, a handmaiden, or a subservient wife.

This is not a fair taxonomy at all. But to go further would be spoling shit for seasons on end. Strong and complex female characters come through in abundance, including some who've already introduced and others that won't come around until seasons 2 or 4.

Fair enough. I will just wait and watch.

Raoul DeGroot wrote:

By the way, why is your name gasprices with the x's? Were you upset with gas prices at the time?

It was the name of a shitty punk band some friends and I started back in the earlier 2000's, right around one of the initial surges in gas prices. This was also right around the same time the screamo/metalcore scene started getting big in my area, and it was fashionable for bands to put an "x" on both sides of their name to show that they were hardcore, or something like that. My friends and I thought that was pretty ridiculous, so someone made a joke about the gas prices being more hardcore than those bands, or something to that effect, and it went from there.

I kind of wish I had went with a different name when I signed up here, but I just did it hastily and went with the first thing that came to mind. It was kind of funny though when I've met people from the forum in real life and I introduced myself as "gas prices", feels pretty ridiculous when you say it out loud as a way of introducing yourself. I usually just go with my real name first now.

And that is the oh-so-exciting tale of my username. I hope you enjoyed.
Post Sun May 01, 2011 6:09 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

xGasPricesx wrote:
This was also right around the same time the screamo/metalcore scene started getting big in my area, and it was fashionable for bands to put an "x" on both sides of their name to show that they were hardcore, or something like that.

Nobody ever told you that it signifies that the band is straightedge?
Post Mon May 02, 2011 6:30 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next