Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Game of Thrones on HBO
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Author Message
neveragainlikesheep



Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 2536
Location: TKO from Tokyo
 Reply with quote  

So I should watch this? Cuz I'm not feeling Boardwalk Empire.

I'm not feeling tv in general, so it's hard for me to get excited about it.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:08 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE


Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 4669
Location: jerk city
 Reply with quote  

The first two episodes were relatively slow, but that's understandable with a new world and that number of characters to introduce. I'll probably end up liking the series, but I wasn't impressed with the season's start. Not enough fucking wizards.

My ambivalence towards the series might have something to do with how much I like The Killing. That pilot was one of the best series openers of all time and the subsequent episodes have been really solid. It gets my vote for the best drama on TV.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AdamBomb



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 3183
Location: Louisiana
 Reply with quote  

This is the shit. HBO knows how to bring it, usually, but I didnt know they could go this direction. Awesome scenes and story telling. My favorite character is the dwarf (nothing but lulz). You know this is building up to be on some epic war battle steez.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
box johnson



Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 1123
Location: Denver
 Reply with quote  

My girlfriend was displeased with the large amount of graphic raping that seemed to be occurring.

Other than that, we both thought it was pleasant.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:40 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Flossin



Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 584
 Reply with quote  

This may seem like a silly question but I can't help it: what happened to the albino direwolf? Did the bastard guy (I don't yet have all their names memorized, sorry) take it with him to the wall?
Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:29 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.


Joined: 09 Jan 2003
Posts: 1281
Location: Fitchburg, MA
 Reply with quote  

Flossin wrote:
This may seem like a silly question but I can't help it: what happened to the albino direwolf? Did the bastard guy (I don't yet have all their names memorized, sorry) take it with him to the wall?


Unless they deviate from the book the albino direwolf Ghost plays a pretty big part as the series progresses.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:58 am
 View user's profile Send private message
icarus502
kung-pwn master


Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 11291
Location: ann arbor
 Reply with quote  

Hellen Earth wrote:
Flossin wrote:
This may seem like a silly question but I can't help it: what happened to the albino direwolf? Did the bastard guy (I don't yet have all their names memorized, sorry) take it with him to the wall?


Unless they deviate from the book the albino direwolf Ghost plays a pretty big part as the series progresses.


Ha. Of course Jon keeps Ghost! They wouldn't deviate from the script that much!

box johnson wrote:
My girlfriend was displeased with the large amount of graphic raping that seemed to be occurring.



Tell your girlfriend, that's part of the point. If we compare this to, say, LOTR or whatever, non-Fantasy renderings of (basically) Europe of the Middle Ages, war is often a matter of heroes vs. villains, feudalism is about gallant Sirs swearing fealty to noble and rightful kings, marriages are anachronistically about the love between equals rather than the trafficking of women to secure wealth and political alliances, misogyny, to the point that it exists, is relatively benign, the plight of the poor (in peace and in war) is ignored, the rightfulness of patriarchy is completely unquestioned, and rape — as a form of terror, as marriage, as the general way of things — is nonexistent. Martin's series revisits all of these questions and, in the process, I think, makes some salient points about our modern conceptions of who we are (like who the "We" is that we're imagining in the past) and what our own F(ph)antasies look like. To that end, in some ways, this is sort of a revisionist F(ph)antasy in much the way, say, Unforgiven or The Ugly American are revisionist Westerns.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:23 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Charlie Foxtrot



Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Posts: 1379
Location: Rochester, NY
 Reply with quote  

icarus502 wrote:

Tell your girlfriend, that's part of the point. If we compare this to, say, LOTR or whatever, non-Fantasy renderings of (basically) Europe of the Middle Ages, war is often a matter of heroes vs. villains, feudalism is about gallant Sirs swearing fealty to noble and rightful kings, marriages are anachronistically about the love between equals rather than the trafficking of women to secure wealth and political alliances, misogyny, to the point that it exists, is relatively benign, the plight of the poor (in peace and in war) is ignored, the rightfulness of patriarchy is completely unquestioned, and rape — as a form of terror, as marriage, as the general way of things — is nonexistent. Martin's series revisits all of these questions and, in the process, I think, makes some salient points about our modern conceptions of who we are (like who the "We" is that we're imagining in the past) and what our own F(ph)antasies look like. To that end, in some ways, this is sort of a revisionist F(ph)antasy in much the way, say, Unforgiven or The Ugly American are revisionist Westerns.


Spoiler Alert





















So what's your opinion on the fact that Danaerys eventually falls in love with the guy who's raping her? (And I haven't read the books, but this is what I was told happens.) Isn't that the ultimate male fantasy?


Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:18 am
 View user's profile Send private message
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

NO SPOILERS!

Maybe talk about spoilers in the old book thread? Otherwise people who are just watching the show won't be able to post in this thread
Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:22 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

As for feminism in game of thrones, I was pretty intrigued by the aria character who would seem to be butting up against traditional roles in a fantasy setting, and her struggle there is looking pretty interesting in a Mad Men sort of way.

It seems to me the show is kind of like a mad men of the fantasy genre
Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:24 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
icarus502
kung-pwn master


Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 11291
Location: ann arbor
 Reply with quote  

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:


So what's your opinion on the fact that Danaerys eventually falls in love with the guy who's raping her? (And I haven't read the books, but this is what I was told happens.) Isn't that the ultimate male fantasy?


NO SPOILERS.

Anyhow: Teenaged girl falls for brutish moron, film at 11.

Everybody wants to love. Everyone wants to be loved. Everyone wants to feel like their life has purpose, except for those who don't, who are the scariest people in the world.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:17 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Charlie Foxtrot



Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Posts: 1379
Location: Rochester, NY
 Reply with quote  

...
Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:55 am
 View user's profile Send private message
ROTTY



Joined: 28 Apr 2005
Posts: 1407
Location: London
 Reply with quote  

Flossin wrote:
This may seem like a silly question but I can't help it: what happened to the albino direwolf? Did the bastard guy (I don't yet have all their names memorized, sorry) take it with him to the wall?



Ghost does apear in the second episode. There is a wide shot of the camp where the bastard and Dwarf are about to have a conversation and you see ghost sitting there.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:24 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  



Posted for topicality, not agreement. I haven't read the books or seen the show, but I'd like to do both after being introduced to the series in this very thread.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:23 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Raoul DeGroot



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 2437
Location: Son Quest
 Reply with quote  

So what is it? Like Narnia?
Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:36 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon