Search
Register
Prayers for Atheists "NEW HYMNS FOR AN OLD WAR"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

b. dolan
FBI agent

Looking forward to it for sheezy.

Stay safe in them Greyhound bus stations, g. Don't drink from your seatmate's bottle or sniff his cocaine.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:04 pm
Jared Paul

b. dolan wrote:
Looking forward to it for sheezy.

Stay safe in them Greyhound bus stations, g. Don't drink from your seatmate's bottle or sniff his cocaine.

hahahahahaaa

I love hanging out in the Oakland Greyhound Station at 1:20am... where else could I possibly rather be?
Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:11 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jared Paul

Article on PFA / New Hymns review in Providence Phoenix  Reply with quote  

http://providence.thephoenix.com/music/120140-prayers-for-atheists-take-it-personally/

Prayers for Atheists take it personally
Rising against
By CHRIS CONTI | May 4, 2011

GIVING IT AN HONEST TRY The PFA crew.

Prayers for Atheists follow up their 2009 debut EP with a full-length punk scorcher, New Hymns for an Old War (May 10 on their PFA Records imprint), providing plenty of wake-the-fuck-up diatribes from two knowledgeable, highly proactive rabble-rousers, guitarist Alan Hague and vocalist Jared Paul (bassist Matt Gilroy and drummer Marco Aveledo round out the quartet). No one is exempt from PFA's shitlist, and this country continues to offer plenty of fuel for the band's politically-charged firestorm of topics.

Spoken word/poetry slam veteran Paul was raised in Providence and later moved to Manville. He initially entered the political arena during his time at Lincoln High School, where he was student council president and worked with the lieutenant governor as part of the RI Boys State Congress in his junior year. Or, as Paul put it, "Just playtime at mock two-party system training ground bullshit."

Iconic local wordsmith Sage Francis awakened Paul's budding poetry skills and desire to affect global change; Francis would eventually release the PFA EP debut on his Strange Famous Records.

"Sage took me to my first poetry reading in the Student Union coffeehouse while we were both studying at URI, where I heard poems covering class struggle, racism, and injustice," he recalled. "I had a nervous awakening that night, and from there on out, I couldn't look away.

"I was on fire to learn about why these things were happening, why no one had told me, and what I could do to stop them."

Although Paul was arrested in 2008 at the Republican National Convention as part of a sit-in protest, he doesn't exactly support the current administration.

"I will never vote or campaign for a Democrat again in my life," Paul told me earlier this week, checking in from an environmental rights event in Seattle. "Obama is part of the capitalist shitstorm, and he took Bush's bank bailout baton like they were two track meet runners on the same relay team."

PFA co-founder Hague attended Durfee High School in Fall River, but didn't step into the activism arena until a few years later when he joined the 250,000-plus protesters in DC in 2005. "I was so pissed reading about the Iraq war every day, I felt I had no choice but to get involved and do what I could to stop it," Hague said. He also sounds dismissive of Obama's plans and policies.

"Maybe we need the absurdity of a Trump presidency," he continued, "that way America will be forced to make up its mind — either we'll reverse course and age gracefully, or Trump will play a fiddle made out of his own hair while Rome v2.0 burns."

New Hymns for an Old War covers a wide, historical range of issues; the lyrics for "May 1, 1886" are taken from the testimony of American labor activist August Spies, while the first single "Guns Up" draws inspiration from the Harlan County coal miners strike of 1972. The 80-second vintage punk ruckus "Ramsey County Blues" was penned during Paul's prison stay following the 2008 RNC. And while PFA don't exactly serve up feel-good hits, there is an undeniable undercurrent of hope throughout the LP. "Pray for love!" Paul shouts on "Prayers for Atheists"; on "Keep Left," he delivers a poignant line atop Hague's crackling riffs: "If we bleed without joy then it's not worth the fight." The closing tracks include a moving audio sample from an American soldier, and a sentiment of hope and accountability on "Strength of Doves," a big anthem with Paul leading the chant of "I still believe!" On the local front, look no further than "Hope City Sky" as your official Providence anthem — we can feel the anticipation of Paul returning home from tour and getting his first glimpse of the Provy skyline while shouting out everyone from Dropdead and Six Finger Satellite to Youth in Action and AS220, where PFA will return for their CD release party (followed by yet another nationwide tour).

Shoot the shit with Paul and you'll quickly realize the dude was born to ignite a positive spark under our collective asses, using charisma, charm, and smarts. "People have been bombarded with such a shitstorm of injustice, exploitation, and preventable tragedies that it's almost too much to handle," Paul told me. "It gets to the point where you don't want to know anymore, that the vast web of brutality and greed is so great that it all seems too big to even try to fix.

"Luckily for me, I'm too angry to quit. I take it personally. And if I'm still alive when the grandchildren my foster kids adopt come at me with questions about why we didn't do shit to change the way things were going, or how we figured out how to send cameras to Mars yet cast aside issues like nuclear abolition and universal health care, I'll be able to look them in the eye and say, 'I got arrested at this protest during the republican National Convention, and at that sit-in, I was part of this anti-nuclear campaign, and spoke about all these issues at over 1000 performances, and wrote to this senator, and occupied the State House, etc.'

"I will be able to tell them with a straight face that I gave it an honest try."

PRAYERS FOR ATHEISTS + THE RICE CAKES + THE JESSE MINUTE | Saturday, May 14 @ 8 pm | AS220, 115 Empire Street, Providence | All ages | $8 | 401.831.9327 |prayersforatheists.org
Post Thu May 05, 2011 5:29 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

fucking fuck yeah! great write-up. so proud of my dudes, can't wait to hear the album!
Post Thu May 05, 2011 9:38 am
TommyFox

Congrats on all the press! I've been listening to the single and one thing that always gets me about PFA recordings is that Alan plays/writes all instrumentation! Really crazy stuff. I can't wait to hear more fellas!
Post Fri May 06, 2011 8:56 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

PFA alerted us that the CD's haven't arrived from the manufacturer yet so anyone who is waiting for pre-orders please be patient. They'll be signed and sent out as soon as humanly possible.

Congrats to PFA for their first official LP! Heck, this is Jared Paul's first official LP come to think of it. Big up yaselves!!
Post Mon May 09, 2011 2:43 pm
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

this is such a great album... and alan's singing is surprisingly really good on it at as well... the sound quality is definitely stepped up a ton since their first release...
Post Tue May 10, 2011 9:04 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

NEW VIDEO FOR "GUNS UP!"

The new PFA album "New Hymns for an Old War" is available here:
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/prayers-for-atheists-new-hymns-for-an-old-war-cd-preorder-p-462.html
Post Tue May 10, 2011 11:41 am
Jared Paul

I hate to do the lame ass "Vote For Me" On-line shit, but PFA has been nominated for Best Punk Act in the 2011 Providence Phoenix and in Motif Magazine. If you're down for that type of shit, you can hit us up here:

Providence PHX:
http://providence.thephoenix.com/BMP/Providence/Vote/PunkGarage/

Motif Magazine:
http://surveygoldplus.com/s/5866E8052E6A4A97/28.htm
(Motif Voting ends TODAY)

B. Dolan is also nominated for "Providence's Best Supastah:"
http://providence.thephoenix.com/BMP/Providence/Vote/Supahstah/

He's up against some famous muthafackah's like Deer Tick, The Low Anthem, and Lightening Bolt... as well local hipster faves The Body & Howl, BUT... HE IS THE ONLY HIP HOP ACT IN THE SHIT!!!

We've got a real shot at the noise / metal hipster vote vs the emo / indy hipster vote canceling one another out... the demographic Math-magick's are all there, man. My prediction is that B. will win the Presidency that Debbs should have, and take this victory back for working people everywhere. *And he knows addy of the Wall Street suite where the real Osama is being held:
DOLAN / FRANCIS 2010 -- VOTE NOW!
Post Tue May 10, 2011 1:53 pm
SFR announcement

Along with the CD, we now have the digital version of "New Hymns for an Old War" at http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/prayers-for-atheists-new-hymns-for-an-old-war-mp3-download-p-469.html
Post Tue May 10, 2011 2:35 pm
z-spot22

yup, that was dope as shit......gonna get the dl now

big ups JP!
Post Tue May 10, 2011 3:30 pm
heattin

Downloaded, I'm too impatient
Post Tue May 10, 2011 3:38 pm
MCGF

bleh I sent cash in the mail a couple weeks ago for this and I think it must have not reached you guys... god damn it. I'm not going to do that again haha.
Post Tue May 10, 2011 3:53 pm
SFR announcement

MCGF wrote:
bleh I sent cash in the mail a couple weeks ago for this and I think it must have not reached you guys... god damn it. I'm not going to do that again haha.

Why do you say this? Is it because you don't have the CD yet? If so, you missed the announcement a few posts back. But also, feel free to email us at customerservice@strangefamousrecords.com and we'll hook you up with a free download while you wait for the CD. Neva say neva.
Post Tue May 10, 2011 4:07 pm
heattin

Doh! I bought the download to tide me over until the pre-order arrived. It's all good though, loving it.
Post Tue May 10, 2011 4:20 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next