Search
Register
Game of Thrones on HBO
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

Game of Thrones on HBO  Reply with quote  

Has anyone checked it? I know we've discussed the books on here before, but this is the series on HBO. Episode 2 just aired.

So far, it's fantastic. I'd like to hear what people think of the series who haven't read the book.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:32 am
Flossin

Yes, I saw the first two episodes on HBO, the second one aired yesterday here. I don't know shit about the books, had no expectations (only started watching it cause Boardwalk Empire just ended recently over here and I wanted some show to fill that particular time slot) but it seems pretty good.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:41 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

I can't discuss it because I've read the books? Damn.

How about we make a strict NO SPOILERS policy and only talk about what's happened on the show so far? Deal?

OK. So far, I'm loving it. The first episode was all rushed exposition but the second was sublime and "Damn, it's over already?!" So far, as far as I can tell, they've been really, really loyal to the books except with two interesting exceptions. The first was Cersei's telling Catelyn in great detail about her firstborn.

The second is that Bran and Rickon are mercifully older. I mentioned elsewhere that I was glad for this change and that GRRM clearly never had small kids and, of course, this is something he's actually remarked on himself. He's said that he regretted making those two so young and now HBO's addressed that. Score.

So far, it's damned near perfect. My minor casting problems so far is that Robb doesn't seem nice enough or loving enough. I always read him as someone with a big heart for both his mom and his bastard brother and that when he calls Jon "Snow" it's a term of endearment rather than continually putting him in his place. I don't think the guy who plays him is conveying that so far. Also, and this is very, very minor, I expected Theon to be better looking.

Otherwise, perfect.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:45 am
Flossin

I think two episodes isn't enough to give my thoughts on the series without reading the books, but yeah, I'm interested in checking it out on the regular now. I liked the midget character, if that helps. I hope to see more of the zombie looking guys from the beginning of the first episode soon.

More thrilling thoughts to come!
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:48 am
squirtisblow

i haven't read the books, but so far i'm enjoying this series and will continue to watch. it's making me want to read the books too, but i feel like i'll over saturate my life with the story.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:59 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

The Wall looks like I always imagined it. Incredible that they could pull it off.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:06 am
Oh Daesu

I'm hurrying through the first bbok, and hope to have it finished before I get to the show. But its a hard book to hurry through. I like his writing and linger a little. I will get there soon.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:09 am
Hellen Earth

Yeah - not only does the Wall look exactly how I pictured it, but all the locations are really similar to what I had imagined.

I've never seen a film version of books that did such a great job with casting. I'm not disappointed in any of the actor choices. I see that Mayor Carcetti will be playing Littlefinger!

I'm wondering what they will do when the direwolves are full grown? CGI, or will they downplay their size.

It is known.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:36 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Hellen Earth wrote:

I'm wondering what they will do when the direwolves are full grown? CGI, or will they downplay their size.

Good question. Right now, they're still pups but they're German Shepherds. They'll have to at least make them as big as their mom, no?
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:39 am
Hellen Earth

How big are the full grown ones in the book?

There are other significant things that they will need CGI for at some point towards the end of this season, so I'm betting they use it on the wolves.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:18 pm
ROTTY

icarus502 wrote:
Hellen Earth wrote:

Good question. Right now, they're still pups but they're German Shepherds. They'll have to at least make them as big as their mom, no?

They are not German Shepherds. They are Northern Inuits, a beautiful breed.

Prehistoric Direwolf grew upto around 1.5m in length. I think the mother was much bigger than that so im guessing they will use cgi or possibly camera trickery. Im hoping for the latter.

So far i love this series.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:44 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

ROTTY wrote:
icarus502 wrote:
Hellen Earth wrote:

They are not German Shepherds. They are Northern Inuits, a beautiful breed.

Ha! Take that, ms. icarus! She was like "they're going to use German shepherds for the dire wolves?" and I was like "those aren't German Shepherds" but she was like "yeah they are" in a tone that made me feel stupid so I just assumed she was right.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:46 pm
futuristxen

Yeah I've been watching this and loving it. Had never heard of the books before though. I guess they're worth reading? I've never really tried to get into that genre of books before, but after watching the first two episodes I think I will. Gonna start at Fritz Leiber and Michael Moorcock and work my way up. I don't want to read game of thrones because I don't want to spoil it for myself right now.

I actually am rewatching the first two episodes with the wife, who was very skeptical about the show, but she loved it--really amazing how well thought out this show is. There are minor details in the first episode that portend things in the second really well. Like when Ayre or whatever, hits her sister with that food in the dining hall, it sets up dramatically a perfect tension later in episode 2 where you aren't sure whether her sister is going to fuck her over because of the combination of that and her lust for power.

The whole thing just seems exceptionally well done. The costumes, the set design, the acting--it really is quality quality television, of a quality that I think shames most feature films.

Have nothing but praise for this show so far.

I also like that everyone even in so limited a time, you can kind of see where they are coming from, and no one is really one dimensional.

I think in a lesser series you would probably hate the thygorians and the lannisters more than you do here. Here you can kind of see where they are coming from--and their motivations are clear.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:04 pm
ROTTY

icarus502 wrote:
Ha! Take that, ms. icarus! She was like "they're going to use German shepherds for the dire wolves?" and I was like "those aren't German Shepherds" but she was like "yeah they are" in a tone that made me feel stupid so I just assumed she was right.

Haha. That is funny.... dont forget the smug face when you tell her.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:10 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next