Search
Register
Prayers for Atheists "NEW HYMNS FOR AN OLD WAR"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

SFR announcement

Prayers for Atheists "NEW HYMNS FOR AN OLD WAR"  Reply with quote  

In 2009, Strange Famous Records released the debut EP from Prayers For Atheists. Now, in 2011, SFR is proud to support the boys as they release their follow-up album, "New Hymns For An Old War" on their own PFA Records label.

CD
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/prayers-for-atheists-new-hymns-for-an-old-war-cd-preorder-p-462.html

DIGITAL
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/prayers-for-atheists-new-hymns-for-an-old-war-mp3-download-p-469.html

Check out the first single: GUNS UP

Click here for more information and to order the new PFA album:
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/prayers-for-atheists-new-hymns-for-an-old-war-cd-preorder-p-462.html

Last edited by SFR announcement on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:49 pm; edited 6 times in total
Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:22 pm
Captiv8

Great news! I'll definitely be picking this up.
Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Mikal kHill

I had the pleasure of previewing an early draft of this record and I just gotta say...

HOLY FUCK IS IT GOOD.

A huge step forward for Jared and Alan, I can not WAIT to see this stuff performed live. :)
Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:30 pm
MCGF

this sounds fantastic! musically, a huge step up from what I've heard in the past from PFA. the vocal interplay is sick. I've been listening to a lot of post hardcore punk recently, and this sounds like it will fit right in with where my tastes are at. pre-ordering when I get the cash.

Last edited by MCGF on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:12 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I love the trading off of vocals. Works so well and I don't hear that stuff enough in punk rock. Not like this anyway. Moar, moar, moar!
Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:50 am
Alan Hague

MCGF wrote:
this sounds fantastic! musically, a huge step up from what I've heard in the past from PFA. the vocal interplay is sick. I've been listening to a lot of post hardcore punk recently, and this sounds like it will fit right in with where my tastes are at. pre-ordering when I get the cash.

Thanks! Glad to hear it. Expect much more of a post-hardcore sound from here on out. This album is an evolutionary step forward for us, and the next album will be a leap forward from this one.

Life's too short to stay in one genre!
Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:34 pm
selfworth

i'm digging the new song a lot. i will definitely be picking this up
Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:05 pm
TommyFox

I love the singing and the complementary vocals on this. Such crispy sounding punk music. Can't wait for this to drop!!!
Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:24 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

Haven't heard the album yet, but I was lucky enough to witness PFA's new set. The new songs are WILD. Such an intense and fun set.

There is a real sense of intent this time around.
The hip-hop is in there, but now they really come off as a capable punk band. They have their shit together, and it's gnarly. I cannot wait for the new album to be in my ears.
Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:52 am
Nick Bianco

Just pre-ordered my copy. Here is a photo of "Gun's Up" LIVE on the "Boycott BP Tour" last year. It's the type of song that you just can't help but get rowdy to!

Photo by Meg Fogarty.
Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 am
abadawn

stoked for this.

some friends of mine will be playing with them when they come out this way.
hope i'm in town for it!
Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:20 pm
Offerthewolf

Am i alone in having an urge to shout along every time I hear ...
'GUNS UP! ... GUNS UP!' ??? ...

A lot of the energy and elements that make a PFA show so memorable and unique are captured in this song. I cant wait to hear the rest of the album! See you guys on the west coast.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:27 am
Jared Paul

Hey hey!

Many thanks for the kind words everyone. We definitely worked as hard on this as we've ever worked on anything in our lives; and are finding that launching the album is just as difficult as making the fucking thing. Maybe more so.

It's lookin' like we might actually sell out AS220 this time around, so we decided to make Pre-Sale tix for May 14th available: http://tinyurl.com/PFAtixMAY14

Any help spreading the world to RI / New England crew is greatly appreciated.

24 days till show time. May the Tour Gods help us.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:56 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Alan Hague

First review is in! Flattering stuff.

http://www.decoymusic.com/reviews/prayers-for-atheists-new-hymns-for-an-old-war

"In 2009 Prayers for Atheists put out what I saw as one of the best EPs of the year with their self titled effort. It had moments of conscientious hip-hop, old-school flavored hardcore, and even some rap-rock elements. The topping on the cake was that there was a genuine sense of meaning and passion underlying every song. The 8 tracks on that EP were a huge debut from a great new artist bursting into the underground scene.

The inspiration for Prayers for Atheists’ debut EP was the Republican National Convention held in July of 2008. At that time, hate for a governmental regime that supported war, torture, and an obfuscation of policy was at the forefront of political movements. Since then, times have definitely changed—we now have a democrat for a president, the conservative movement and the Tea Party are gaining momentum in a response to government spending, the economy remains in shambles for the middle and lower class, and we are seeing political change throughout the Middle East. There’s a lot to be angry about, but there isn’t a single source to direct your hate towards like there was when George Bush was president. The United States seems to be a cauldron of unrest and anger that is desperate to find something to rage against, but there are simply too many sources of localized evil cropping up all over. Scott Walker is busy attempting to land a killing blow to Wisconsin’s unions. Dick Fuld and numerous c-suite bankers are laughing their asses off at pulling one over on the American people as they had their bad decisions completely subsidized on the backs of taxpayers. Barack Obama is waffling left and right on promises he made only a couple of scant years ago. And there is no shortage of seemingly corrupt local figures in communities throughout the nation. It’s exasperating just to think about it all. This wealth of evil is fuel for Prayers for Atheists’ fire, but the lack of a singular source of malice not only has affected the mindset of our nation, but I believe it may have lead to the feel of this record in comparison to the band's previous EP.

Unlike their EP, there are no strict hip-hop jams on this album. Instead Prayers for Atheists have focused exclusively on crafting anger fueled, late 80s inspired hardcore punk tracks interspersed amongst Rage Against the Machine flavored rap-core songs. Since there is such a divide between the two styles of songs on New Hymns for an Old War, I think it is prudent to look at the band in two different lights, one for each approach.

When cranking out decidedly retro hardcore tracks, such as “Ramsey County Blues,” you can hear the influences from past greats such as Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, and TSOL. The songs are balls out, straight-ahead hardcore punk and wouldn’t feel out of place if played between tracks from the aforementioned bands influencing Prayers for Atheists. From the raw production to the raspy vocals to the simple, rapid playing, it all screams classic polipunk and hardcore, which is so damn refreshing in an age of autotune and over-production where every band sounds glisteningly clean and glossy that you wonder if they actually played the songs on their albums.

Then there’s the other half of the record where Prayers for Atheists play a brand of music decidedly influenced by more modern bands (relatively speaking) such as Downset, Danko Jones, and Rage Against the Machine. Yes, the production is still raw and the band is still as pissed as ever, but you have songs that break out of the hardcore punk mold and take on a more decidedly rap-core sound. Don’t get any ideas that this is some Limp Bizkit bullshit, though. No, instead it is a straight up infusion of rap, hardcore, rock, and even some melodically sung choruses. A great example of this amalgamation of styles is the one-two punch of “Guns Up” and “Flies on the Water,” two tracks that capture all of the disparate elements of the band. Another track of interest, simply because it doesn’t fit either of the previously described molds very well, is “Keep Left.” There’s a reason I mentioned Danko Jones earlier in this paragraph… this track is as close to a classic Jones track as you can get without breaking out We Sweat Blood.

Genuine music is hard to find nowadays when it seems like so many bands just care about Facebook likes, Twitter followers, and other measurements of how popular they are. When you play exclusively for popularity, you sacrifice your voice in favor of appealing to those you want to so desperately like you. Prayers for Atheists don’t seem to care about this, but instead they want to get their message out and do so in their own way, whether you like it or not. Thankfully, if you do cherish music with a message, even though it may sometimes be muddied, that was made by people who truly believe in what they’re doing, then you will fall head over heels in love with New Hymns for an Old War."

--Rick Gebhardt
Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:46 am
Bob Harris

I'm lucky enough to have heard the record already -- it hasn't left my car in months. All I will say is that I'm excited for everyone else to get the chance to hear it too. It's ridiculous. So much growth for this band in such a short time.

Guns up muhfuckaaaaaaaaaas.
Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next