Search
Register
Breast Cancer has gone Pop.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

Is that a finger tip of the Nintendo Power Glove?
Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:09 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
Yeah but curing heart disease requires exercise and eating right. That's not any fun. No girlpower for that shit.

Seriously, like I said in the last breast cancer thread. Not everyone loves lymph nodes, or thyroids, or poop chutes. Everyone loves boobs, that's why it's the popular cancer.
Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:58 am
Z-0

Hellen Earth wrote:
Is that a finger tip of the Nintendo Power Glove?

it's a finger shield with the healing powers of magnets.
Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:37 am
Brynjar

Eric B wrote:
How come there isn't just one big pot for curing cancer altogether. Sure breast cancer sucks, but it only affects half the population. Lets get rid of that shit as a whole.

How rare is male breast cancer?
I think it's like 1 case per year and we are only 300.000 on the island, have there been any big studies about it?
Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:39 am
Jesse

Google feminist blogs for the vast body of commentary already spun out on this topic, and the bonus will be that women wrote almost all of it. Best source of discourse on feminist issues, even only partially feminist issues like this one.
Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:54 pm
name

a lot of this has been brought up in a previous thread:

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49578&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

but, i'm glad you brought it up again. i stand by my views on this from the other thread, and really agree on maintaining a healthy skepticism about the marketing mentality... even as someone who receives funding directly from many of these organizations. however, i think the more difficult task is not letting that skepticism turn into denialism that poisons our view of the ongoing efforts to cure and treat cancers.
Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:20 am
name

btw. here's an interesting (if somewhat anecdotal) article by barbara ehrenreich on the subject.

http://www.barbaraehrenreich.com/cancerland.htm

really a must read if you're interested in this phenomenon. most important, she makes sure to not let her feelings on the "breast cancer crusade" turn into irrational flailing about how everyone is part of some evil science-industrial complex plotting to kill us all for profit.
Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:47 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I'm upping this old topic just because Evelyn H. Lauder, the founder of the "pink ribbon" campaign, just died of ovarian cancer. That's not exactly an ironic twist, but considering a lot of the points that were raised in this thread I think it's...an interesting twist at least.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/237596.php
Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:14 am
ecapataz

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:28 am
name

jakethesnake wrote:
Raoul DeGroot wrote:
Yeah but curing heart disease requires exercise and eating right. That's not any fun. No girlpower for that shit.

Seriously, like I said in the last breast cancer thread. Not everyone loves lymph nodes, or thyroids, or poop chutes. Everyone loves boobs, that's why it's the popular cancer.

I'm not sure how much the sexuality of breasts has to do with it. Maybe to some degree. I think the sexism and the history of breat cancer treatment is more relevant. Back in the day breast cancer cases sort of played the role of testing ground for radical surgical and chemotherapeutic methods. That probably had to to with the fact that women were treated as the lesser sex. Today's breast cancer propaganda is likely a reaction to that history.

Also... can someone please explain the point of the .gif above to me? These things often make me feel out-of-touch.
Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:57 am
Jesse Custer

To point out that he had a ribbon shaved into his hair, I'm guessing..?

Could have been done a lot easier with a photo if that's the case, mind.

That was a good card; what happened to UFC discussion on here? What has been the reaction there if any to their debut on FOX? I enjoyed the presentation of it.
Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:30 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2