Search
Register
gov rick synder (R) of michigan is a jack ass
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

mortalthoughts
LAME KID

i have a hard time for the most part digesting news in 30 second sound c lips

why would you be asking for bias in the news lonly? because you agree with it ?
Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:33 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Alan Hague wrote:
Michael Moore's been doing some great work in regards to the attacks on workers. He gave a great speech in Madison last week, and he's starting to agitate for similar action in Michigan now, too.

Alan,
he's totally biased. So...

yeah.

just remember that. This shit doesn't matter cuz like...he's biased.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:10 pm
Inedible Condiment

mortalthoughts wrote:
i have a hard time for the most part digesting news in 30 second sound c lips

why would you be asking for bias in the news lonly? because you agree with it ?

There is no such thing as unbiased. I think maybe people like hearing at least two sides of a story, and if you're only getting a, for example, conservative viewpoint in your news, you should be clamouring for a more liberal one.

That's my opinion.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:19 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

To make my point abundantly clear, Rachel Maddow's show is op-ed oriented. It *is* biased, and it doesn't try to hide it. She's not on the station with the slogan that says "Fair and Balanced."
Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:35 pm
sick_transit

Sage Francis wrote:
To make my point abundantly clear, Rachel Maddow's show is op-ed oriented. It *is* biased, and it doesn't try to hide it. She's not on the station with the slogan that says "Fair and Balanced."

Exactly, Maddow fans like I know exactly what they're getting. Remember, facts have a well-known liberal bias.
Post Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:29 am
Captiv8

sick_transit wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:

Exactly, Maddow fans like I know exactly what they're getting. Remember, facts have a well-known liberal bias.

The mere selection of what to include and exclude, and how to present the information, is an act of bias. The best one can hope for, I'm sad to say, is a balanced perspective that works in all sides of an issue. For my money the news from NPR works, or news outside the US like the BBC.
Post Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:00 am
Alan Hague

The bad news:

"It looks like Rick Snyder, the Republican governor of Michigan whose legislation will give “Emergency Managers” carte blanche over Michigan municipalities in the event of a ‘financial crisis’ is lowering taxes on businesses by raising taxes on the poor and working class:

Gov. Rick Snyder (R-MI) has proposed ending his state’s Earned Income Tax Credit, cutting a $600 per child tax credit, and reducing credits for seniors, while also cutting funding for school districts by eight to ten percent. At the same time, as the Michigan League for Human Services found, the state’s business taxes would be reduced by nearly $2 billion, or 86 percent, under Snyder’s plan.

Snyder wants to cut business taxes by 86 percent, lowering revenue from those taxes from $2.1 billion to approximately $293 million – a drop of $1.8 billion, all during a recession that has Michigan, like so many other states, strapped for cash. To close that gap, personal income taxes would go up from $5.75 billion to $7.5 billion – and rates on the lowest earners would go up more than rates on the top 1%."

http://blogs.forbes.com/erikkain/2011/03/15/michigan-governor-to-cut-taxes-for-corporations-while-cutting-services-for-the-poor-and-middle-class/
Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:32 am
Alan Hague

The good news:

Michigan Protest Movement to Soon Rival Wisconsin?

"The Michigan protests and budget dispute has fired up the state. But to much of the nation, the struggle in Michigan has gone on in the shadows compared with the other states in the Midwest. However, that may change Wednesday, with a rally that could dwarf the one in Wisconsin last weekend. While Gov. Scott Walker and his budget plans have gotten massive press, Gov. Rick Snyder and his proposals will face a huge protest of their own. As such, Michigan activists are making it clear that Wisconsin isn't standing alone.

Thus far, Wisconsin has had the most publicized battle over budget cuts, and over union rights. But much of the Midwest is facing the same kind of battle, even if unions aren't the whole center of it. In fact, activists like Michael Moore state that Michigan's potential budget cuts are even worse.

Snyder was not considered to be an extreme Republican. However, he has now been put on a par with Walker, for bills that would give corporations and CEOs "Emergency Management" over struggling institutions. His proposals are also accused of being harsh on senior citizens and the poor, along with being anti-union.

Activists haven't called for Snyder's recall yet, but it could be an option before long. First, they are looking to put together a "mega-rally" against his bills, at noon Wednesday in Lansing. They are asking workers, students, and anyone else who's able, to call in sick and join them. And of course, Michigan's own Michael Moore is spreading the word on his website after he helped rally Wisconsin's protesters on Saturday afternoon."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110315/tr_ac/8066036_michigan_protest_movement_to_soon_rival_wisconsin
Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:33 am
Charlie Foxtrot

Isn't the government winning in Wisconsin, at least for now?
Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:44 am
Dr Sagacious

Not at the pace GOPers wanted to win at due to that Dane county Judge's ruling to temporarily ban Walker's bill. Walker doesn't want anything to do with the bill going back to legislature, and neither does his jerk-ass cronies. Who knows doe?

The privatizing matter effects me personally as I used to work for a school district as a subsitute custodian, and that was bought out (still employed though). Now Farmington (school district I work in) wants to privatize support staff (full-time custodians, lunch lady's, Para-pros), and it's not really getting much coverage nationally, which is a fucking shame because a lot of people are going to be out of jobs, and a lot of family's are going to be without health care and that income. There are ulterior motives going on here, and with the way the GOP has been slamming away suspicious legislature all over the country goes to show you that the dipshits at the top with nearly all the wealth in the world really have a personal problem with you living on their planet and being well and happy on it.
Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:10 pm
Captiv8

Just found out that this piece of shit reduced the budget of my particular university by $12 million, and he's trying to cut all special education programs across the state. As in special ed students will be placed in regular public school programs, which is so fucked for many reasons. Anyway, now the entire faculty body here is on the verge of striking and classes start a week from today. I'm an employee of the university and the state of Michigan, and this shit worries me big time. I guess the big hooplah has to do with the university not renewing the faculty union's contract for like the first time ever, undoubtedly as a result of the massive budget cut goddamn Rick Snyder imposed on all schools, colleges, and universities across the state. This guy is one corrupt motherfucker that embodies the "rich get richer and the poor get poorer" mindset.

http://firericksnyder.org/
Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:05 am
Dr Sagacious

Fuckin' Nazi.
Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:56 pm
Captiv8

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:52 pm
leifkolt

vultures. circling. a. dying. beast. GO GO RICK!
Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:58 pm
Captiv8

You know shit is bad when even some of the Republicans are against this guy. I mean, Granholm wasn't terrific by any stretch but at least she wasn't piledriving Michigan into the ground Zangief-style. I love this state, and Snyder makes me embarrassed to live here. Thankfully there is some pretty strong anti-Snyder sentiment in my neck of the woods.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:57 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next