Search
Register
The New Comic Book/Graphic Novel Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

SFR announcement

Can you link me to the old comic thread so I can delete it?

I don't like deleting threads that are chockfull of cool material but if there's a virus in there I don't want to mess around. And it's also not a good idea to have a subject line that suggests that there are viruses floating around here.

Be careful what you embed.
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:17 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49774
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:20 am
SFR announcement

Thank you. Thread removed.
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:22 am
anomaly
Loserface

Growing up in Amarillo, TX until 1997.....
I collected and drew my own comics. I would mow my own lawn and a half-dozen other lawns on my block to make some money. Every week I would take that money about 10 miles away from my house to the nearest comicbook store on my bitchin' 10 speed and buy the shit out of the newest, dopest looking comics out there. It had 3 different foil hologram covers, I'd buy all 3. I spent so much time and money buying, bagging, trading, collecting, cataloging, studying, etc them. I would monthly buy Wizard Magazine and figure what my collection was worth and daydream about my bad-ass drawing being on the next month's cover.

At the time, Image Comics was the shit to me. Savage Dragon, Spawn, Young Blood, Young CATS, etc. Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Marc Silvestri, Erik Larsen were gods in my eyes. I miss the days of having something move me that hard and that passionately.

I sold my entire comic collection later in highschool for $100 to buy a new bass guitar and and I really regret selling them. Not that that bass wasn't worth it, because I got it to join a band and form friendships and music I retain to this day.......But they had some much history and art that was worth so much more than $100.

Is Image or any of these artist still around? Don't mention the Spawn movie. That piece of shit sucked my butt. I just want to know about the art. I can imagine they're still blowing shit away, but that's been over 15 years ago, so who knows?

Last edited by anomaly on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:28 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Image is also my favorite
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:31 am
futuristxen

Image is definitely still around. They're the prime destination for top tier creator owned stuff. They're the third biggest comic company in the US I think. Robert Kirkman runs it now. He's the guy who wrote The Walking Dead.

I never collected comics really. I am glad that collecting comics as a hobby is basically over. Now people read the books because they are good, not because they are worth something.

It's less money for the industry, but that money was always stupid money anyways.
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:48 am
pugg

neveragainlikesheep wrote:
Man... I was lurking /b/ yesterday and came across this book called "Crossed." Have any of you read it? Talk about insane and dark. That book is fucking twisted, brah.
yeah dude. some seriously effed up acts of evil. Garth Ennis is a lovely sick fuck. Haven't checked out Lapham's sequels yet.

T-Wrex wrote:
pugg wrote:
Today I started this massive Bone collection.

thats what she said
Quiet! Grown ups are talking.

Neuro wrote:
pugg whered ya get that

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Cartoon-Books/BONE-ONE-VOL-ED-SC/MAR058205

got mine from dcbservice.com (sister site) though.
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:08 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shinigami

just started this today:

also grabbed the last Omnibus of Starman:
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:53 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i just watched the x-men first class trailer

holy shit it looks terrible
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:06 pm
pugg

So Bone's alright so far. For a break I'm reading:
Rat Catcher
Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:30 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
futuristxen

Reading these:

Forgetless by Nick Spencer with art by Scott Forbes and Marley Zarcone is ill. It's got twitter and youtube, sex fiends, model assassin sociopaths, talk show hosts in koala suits--good stuff.

King City is goddamn genius. That's all.

Reading some Hugo Pratt. Love his style. You can see where Paul Pope was influence from him. This could be a panel right out of Heavy Liquid. Good stuff. It's in french though so I don't know any of the dialouge, really. But what I'm reading, Jesuit Joe, seems to be just about this mountie going around and killing everybody.
Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:53 am
ROTTY

The Walking Dead comic is set to continue in December!

The New book will be called no way out and there have been some teaser posters made already. Kirkman promises that this will be big for the series.

[img]http://imagecomics.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=13047&g2_serialNumber=2[/img]

There are others but they kinda show spoilers.
Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:31 am
futuristxen

Just found a copy of this french comic after much searching online, ended up only costing 20 bucks instead of the 100 it would have cost to try and import the fucker.

Mutafuckaz is a french insane gangsta comic...don't know any french. The plan is for me and my partner to read it in bed and make up our own silly dialogue with voices and everything:
Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:20 pm
pugg

Bone has gotten more fun to read. I'm about a 3rd of the way done. Taking a break to read Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison/Dave Mckeen just because I've been meaning to re read it.
Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:39 pm
futuristxen

Read Blaise Larmee's Young Lions on Kindle this morning. It was really good:
Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:30 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next