Search
Register
80's Sci fi movies
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Cold Funcrusher

80's Sci fi movies  Reply with quote  

Does anyone has any sick 80's, eary 90's sci fi movies to suggest?
Blade Runner style if possible.

Thnx yaw...
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:09 pm
Self Conscious

dune

i havent seen it yet so i cant say how it is. its in my netflix instant just waiting to be watched. its available on instant till the 11th so i better watch it soon.

THX 1138

thought i was ok. i dont really like George Lucas as a director but give it a try

Strange Days

havent seen this yet either but it seems cool. 95 might be a little late for what your looking for. trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yaXPx6xWEQ
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:23 pm
PoetryBox

Theres not many good sci-fi flicks that I can recall from the top of my head but I can recommend Event Horizon, Outland, 12 monkeys, Equilibrium. Ive heard great things about a movie called Primer but I havnt seen it yet.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:33 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Last edited by anomaly on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:40 pm
nodirectionhome

i dont know why i havent seen it yet but i've heard really good things about brazil. i also hear metropolis is really good (even though its 1930s i believe).
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 pm
Flossin

Self Conscious wrote:
THX 1138

thought i was ok. i dont really like George Lucas as a director but give it a try

I really like this movie. It didn't really seem very Lucas-y to me. Very different than his other movies. Worth the watch.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:57 pm
redball

Self Conscious wrote:
dune

i havent seen it yet so i cant say how it is. its in my netflix instant just waiting to be watched. its available on instant till the 11th so i better watch it soon.

I guess you could watch Dune just for the sake of doing so. It really fails to capture the novel's brilliance. It's... okay, though, if you want a mediocre sci-fi epic.

I think the biggest problem with Dune's story for movie adaptation is that the best parts of it are the way the world is setup and the interplay between people and factions. That's why the movie has so much thought voiceover, it's sorta like a sci-fi epic version of the Wonder Years or Scrubs in that respect. It has to because so much is unsaid in the books. The voiceover parts are easy, even if they were somewhat sloppily handled, but the other things unsaid are just so much harder to properly demonstrate in a movie.

You know something's up when Dune is never mentioned with Lynch's other works. He's distanced himself from the film because he knows it wasn't what it should have been.

And those were just general impressions I was left with after watching the film a year or so ago. My memory was jogged with fresh criticism after I looked up the departures that it made from the original (I only remembered how the ending was different). Here's Wikipedia's rundown, I've taken out the part about the ending since it's a spoiler, suffice to say that it's a big change and not in a good way:

Quote:

The film makes some departures from the novel, most notably in the case of the weirding way. In the novel, it is a form of training that allows Paul to move with lightning speed and have near-perfect dexterity; in the film it is replaced with "Weirding Modules", sonic weapons that resemble small video cameras and amplify the user's voice into a destructive force, a controversial choice among Dune fans.[24][25] The film grants the Bene Gesserit telepathy, while the novel notes their keen, nearly superhuman awareness. The film also suggests that the spice allows Guild Navigators themselves to fold space as opposed to assuring the Heighliner reaches its destination safely. Some of the novel's central themes were simplified for the adaptation, including the intricate political interplays at work in Herbert's universe,[26] the use of religion to control the populace, and ecology. [clipped spoiler]

There are several distinctive visual and aesthetic choices made in the film that are not directly inspired by Herbert's novel. In the film, Bene Gesserit are bald after they become Reverend Mothers, the Mentats have enormous eyebrows, Stillsuits are brown, and Baron Harkonnen is afflicted with bubo-like blisters. Gay writer Dennis Altman suggested that this aspect of the film showed how "AIDS references began penetrating popular culture" in the 1980s, asking, "Was it just an accident that in the film Dune the homosexual villain had suppurating sores on his face?"[28] Ornithopters are depicted as jet- or rocket-propelled aircraft, rather than the flapping-winged aircraft described in the novel, and the Harkonnens and their followers (including the Baron himself) are given "heart plugs" that can be pulled out to kill them.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:01 pm
Cold Funcrusher

Whoa, guys thnx for the xpress help...

Self Conscious
I've seen Thx 1138 and i really liked its aesthetics and the "1984" type of story.
I ve seen strange days as well and i think it's a descent movie but nothing special.
I havent seen Dune. Im gonna search for it.

Poetry Box
Im gonna check the first 2 you suggest. I've seen the others and I was pleasently surprised by Equilibrium that I saw recently.

Anomaly
these movies look like a video from the shapeshifters crew, and that's not bad, hehehe...

nodirectionhome
Brazil is a great movie!!! You should definitely watch it...
[/b]
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:08 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPcZHjKJBnE
(cant embed)

having seen this movie in about 15 years so i dont really remember if its good or not but the OST is a must have.

Last edited by mortalthoughts on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:33 pm
Dream Inspired

a boy and his dog
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 pm
spagucci-one

Last edited by spagucci-one on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 pm
Dream Inspired

Flossin wrote:
Self Conscious wrote:
THX 1138

I really like this movie. It didn't really seem very Lucas-y to me. Very different than his other movies. Worth the watch.

was his student film used for his final before graduating.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:36 pm
ecapataz

Dune is a piece of shit.

They Live is good though so is Videodrome and Altered States.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:45 pm
Self Conscious

PoetryBox wrote:
Theres not many good sci-fi flicks that I can recall from the top of my head but I can recommend Event Horizon, Outland, 12 monkeys, Equilibrium. Ive heard great things about a movie called Primer but I havnt seen it yet.

primer is great though it doesnt fit into the 80s or early 90s but you should watch it.

dark city is another great one, late 90s
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:24 pm
videodrome

spagucci-one wrote:

FUCK YES TO THEY LIVE

While you're at it you should keep riding the John Carpenter train:

After Carpenter, I'd go here:

Alien (which is technically 1979 but I don't care cause it's fucking brilliant):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojhGdRSkiUw (can't embed)

Videodrome (only cause it's my username):

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next