Search
Register
Sage's music & Christianity
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

headcase

Sage Francis wrote:
Three "rednecks" approached Bill Hicks after one of his shows and they said, "Hey buddy, we're Christians, we don't like what you said."

Bill Hicks' response? "Then forgive me".

Yeah, I'm a friend of Bill.

Let, let, let me in.

i was waaay off with that song
Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:27 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Sage Francis wrote:
Three "rednecks" approached Bill Hicks after one of his shows and they said, "Hey buddy, we're Christians, we don't like what you said."

Bill Hicks' response? "Then forgive me".

Yeah, I'm a friend of Bill.

Let, let, let me in.

Bill Hicks was a saint... :)

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>
Code:

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Haha at this whole thread.
Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:36 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Headcase.
Can you talk to me about Heaven and Hell?
If I'm 104 years old when I die, will I have my 104 year old body in Heaven?
Or.. Can I pick the year? Do you age in Heaven?
Abortion is murder, right? That's a living human in there.
Do dead fetuses go to Heaven? Do they ever become toddlers?
How does a fetus move around until it grows up (if it ever does)?
Some scientists lie to me to get me pissed...
...and tell me that the Universe is 13 billion years old,
...Earth is 4.5 billion years old,
...and we all had one common mother 180,000 years ago...
and over 10s of billions of homo sapiens have lived
and died on this rock... floating in space... since then.
Are they all in Hell because the Bible wasn't written until 1445 B.C.?..
Thank God, Gutenberg and the Gideons.
If He never told Moses to write that book...
He wouldn't have had much company in those clouds..
Heaven is an Eternal Kingdom.. You get to live for forever..
You can see generation after generation after generation live and die..
Until something like a Super Swine Flu kills us all..
And you're still living forever up in Heaven.. with no new visitors..
Would you get ennui?.. Eventually want to kill yourself but can't?..
I'd need Jesus to turn a lot of water into a lot of wine to cure that much boredom..
Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:42 pm
futuristxen

Bill Hicks definitely believed in a kind of god. Just not in the institution of religion, which he felt was an authority construct keeping people from knowing what he saw as a spiritual truth.

Which is kind of where I've always seen Sage's spirituality--at least going from interviews and stuff.

I think this is where the confusion comes in, because while both are anti-religion, neither are atheist.
Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:26 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Yeah, Bill Hicks had leanings toward superstition and mysticism. He believed in the supernatural. That's definitely not me. I used to believe in a lot of that, much more than anyone I knew growing up actually. Psychics, ghosts, demons, etc.

However, after all I've learned and experienced during my time here, I had no choice but explore myself and try to figure out why humans are so susceptible to mystic bullshit. We lurrrvve that bullshit. Some people need it for order, others are riddled with wishful thinking. Hicks was very much a wishful thinker and that's certainly no mark against his character
Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:42 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Having experienced shrooms myself, I could see how Bill's spirituality might've split with Sage's.

"My third eye has been squeegeed.."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-395143/Magic-mushrooms-help-depression-say-scientists.html

"Scientists are to investigate a hallucinogenic chemical in "magic mushrooms" as a possible new treatment for depression, anxiety and drug dependence.

The move follows an unusual study which showed that the compound, psilocybin, can prompt long lasting positive changes in mood and behaviour.

Researchers also found that people who took the chemical experienced genuine mystical experiences, as defined by psychologists.

A third of the 36 study participants described their psilocybin experience as the "most spiritually significant" of their lives.

Some likened it to the importance of the birth of their first child or the death of a parent."

There are a lot of stories out there of people magically snapping out of life long depressions from their first trip.. and, of course, there's the whole Moses ate shrooms when he talked to God and wrote the commandments.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080304120710.ad7gm7i6&show_article=1
Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:57 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

You might be very surprised to find how thoroughly my "third eye" has been squeegeed. I've seen the mountain tops, my friends. I love Bill Hicks' uncanny ability to speak his truth with such wit and conviction. Love the man.
Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:13 pm
futuristxen

Sage Francis wrote:

However, after all I've learned and experienced during my time here, I had no choice but explore myself and try to figure out why humans are so susceptible to mystic bullshit. We lurrrvve that bullshit. Some people need it for order, others are riddled with wishful thinking. Hicks was very much a wishful thinker and that's certainly no mark against his character

I think the latter category produces some excellent art(everyone from Burroughs to Hicks to Alan Moore--heck even Cormac McCarthy). I think because for the most part mysticism provides a time tested/honed set of tools for jacking into your brain.

It can also be used to lock your shit up, but if you're using mysticism as a way to be more open with the world, I think it's a good spot to be artistically.

It's a logical progression I think for a lot of artists. Maya Deren.
Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:27 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Sage Francis wrote:
You might be very surprised to find how thoroughly my "third eye" has been squeegeed. I've seen the mountain tops, my friends.

If you're implying that you've enjoyed hallucinogens, I'd be very surprised.
Next thing I know, I'll find out that Jared enjoys a bacon cheeseburger once a week.

Sage Francis wrote:
I love Bill Hicks' uncanny ability to speak his truth with such wit and conviction. Love the man.

Hear, hear!
Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:42 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

futuristxen wrote:
for the most part mysticism provides a time tested/honed set of tools for jacking into your brain.

I dare say that mysticism is a very easy thing to fall into and exploit as an artist. It's ripe with fantasy and personal truth that isn't provable or unprovable. A great freedom comes with that. It's like when someone tells you about their dreams. As fantastic as their dreams may sound, you never really know if they're lying or not. In fact, you'd probably be a dick to openly doubt someone's recollection of a dream. Maybe that's a strange analogy. But I'll sit and let people tell me about their dreams and totally enjoy it. Same with drug stories. There's always the voice in my head that says, "that's not really how it went down" but I tell that voice to shut up because I like hearing people express their own version of the truth. As long as that personal truth does not impose itself on other people. And that, my friends, is a big distinction between religion and almost all other things that fall under the category of mysticism.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well & bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil...that takes religion."- Shallopak
Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:51 pm
DeadAwake

Quote:

"With or without religion, good people can behave well & bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil...that takes religion."- Shallopak

But doesnt the whole good and evil spectrum have its origins in religious perception? [/quote]
Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:23 am
anomaly
Loserface

people were good and evil way before religion

Clubbing your chick and taking her back to the cave; good.
Killing all the dinosaurs; evil
Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:30 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Sage Francis wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
for the most part mysticism provides a time tested/honed set of tools for jacking into your brain.

I dare say that mysticism is a very easy thing to fall into and exploit as an artist. It's ripe with fantasy and personal truth that isn't provable or unprovable. A great freedom comes with that. It's like when someone tells you about their dreams. As fantastic as their dreams may sound, you never really know if they're lying or not. In fact, you'd probably be a dick to openly doubt someone's recollection of a dream. Maybe that's a strange analogy. But I'll sit and let people tell me about their dreams and totally enjoy it. Same with drug stories. There's always the voice in my head that says, "that's not really how it went down" but I tell that voice to shut up because I like hearing people express their own version of the truth. As long as that personal truth does not impose itself on other people. And that, my friends, is a big distinction between religion and almost all other things that fall under the category of mysticism.

this is it, right here, for the most part.

and LOL, its happened many times where im listening to someone tell me about their "crazy dream " and im thinking shut up you are making that up
Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:37 am
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

Man, I feel bad for people who think other people are lying about their dreams because that must mean you 1) don't remember your own or 2) your dreams are booorning. I once dreamed that everything I saw was knitted in that ugly Bill Cosby-like style -chunky, bold, overly texturized. That was probably the most intricate and far out dream I can remember as of late...

But, I'm a liar, right? RIIIIGHT?! Hehehe...

Eat some yogurt before you go to bed and see if it gives you crazy dreams, too. I always get nightmares and wake up sweaty. Stupid yogurt dreams...
Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:49 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next