Search
Register
OK, I'm officially tired of Sarah Palin now
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

the mean
Certified O.G.

OK, I'm officially tired of Sarah Palin now  Reply with quote  

I have always been a big supporter of Sarah Palin's continued presence in our nation's consciousness. The continual vomiting of mind-numbing stupidity and her amazing ability to turn it into $$$ is really the embodiment of the American dream.

I've been hoping she becomes a presidential candidate in for the 2012 election.

But now, at this point, I think her character has jumped the shark, and I'm hoping she pulls a Crazy Amy and retires her character today. I think we'd all be better for it.
Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:54 am
phataccino

The thing that is most amazing about her success is that it has come in spite of her obvious lack of intelligence of any sort. I feel like she is actually an idiot. Moreso than any other political figure that I can think of. Bush always came across as kind of a moron, but you always felt that there was a little something lurking under the surface. That he wasn't actually as big of an idiot as he seemed to be. Palin is different though. She is definitely as dumb as she seems to be.
Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 am
Bicycle

Bush wasn't a moron. Palin probably isn't either. These people are narcissistic megalomaniacs in the business of selling an image. They're tolerated because they come off as kinda cute and people don't hold you accountable for your actions if they think you're an idiot
Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:18 am
neveragainlikesheep

Re: OK, I'm officially tired of Sarah Palin now  Reply with quote  

the mean wrote:
I have always been a big supporter of Sarah Palin's continued presence in our nation's consciousness. The continual vomiting of mind-numbing stupidity and her amazing ability to turn it into $$$ is really the embodiment of the American dream.

I've been hoping she becomes a presidential candidate in for the 2012 election.

But now, at this point, I think her character has jumped the shark, and I'm hoping she pulls a Crazy Amy and retires her character today. I think we'd all be better for it.

Haha. Don't retreat, retire your fucked up internet personality.

Yep, surprisingly enough, comparison fits.
Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:30 am
redball

Is this because of her crappy half-assed defensive response to the Tuscon shooting? If not, what made you grow tired of her now?
Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:25 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

Yeah, I think that is what pushed me over the edge.

It's just getting old. She's not adding any new, funny crazy to her character, just repeating the same, tired old crazy over and over again.
Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:15 am
Asterax

I am tired of her because my favorite politics blog, Political Wire, has at least 2-3 Palin stories every day.

This is probably the last article I've gotten a chuckle reading:

The Awl wrote:
Sarah Palin the TV Star Exposes Sarah Palin the Fake Hunter

Palin champions will hold up last night's "Sarah Palin's America" episode as proof of the candidate putting her money where her moose is. That is to say, after years of talking about being a hunter, Palin actually went out and shot something.

While much of the debate around the episode is an ethical one about a millionaire shooting a defenseless animal so as not to have to pay for meat, the real conversation should be about how the episode absolutely exposes Palin as a charade.

In this most recent episode, a woman who has blindly championed the NRA and legitimized her frontier-woman status by claiming to be a "lifelong hunter" comes across as anything but.

For starters, Palin and pa head out on a long hunt without bothering to sight in Palin's rifle, a mistake no serious hunter would ever make. Why Palin's dad chose for her a "varmint rifle" for a caribou hunt and why Palin, an admitted "moose hunter," would not question such a gun's appropriateness is never answered.

From there, numerous bungles along the way to finally downing the caribou show a hunting tourist who, at worst, appears to pose a genuine danger to fellow outdoorsmen.

While Palin's hunting-for-TV jamboree certainly impressed the hockey moms, it seriously eroded her base of genuine hunters. One online commentor, on Sean Hannity's website no less, grumbled, "I turned on Sarah Palin's Alaska a minute ago and she just shot four maybe even five times at a caribou and missed. Needless to say I'm not impressed with her ability to handle a firearm let alone aim it and hit something."

On Palin's own Facebook page, a viewer wrote, "What a joke. I was a fan before the show. No one who is a true hunter lets others carry their rifle or can't load their own shells. Sarah, you are a phony in this area of your 'skills."

Several others wondered why Palin, an experienced hunter, didn't bring her own rifle, pointing out that familiarity with one's weapon is a core principle of hunting. Another pointed out, regarding Palin's veteran hunter dad, "I was surprised to see him using the gun as a walking stick."

Several hunter friends to whom I showed the video were less than impressed. All agreed that she did not look like she had handled a gun many times. One, who just posted his November kill on his Facebook profile, said "I would not hunt with her."

In the episode, Palin is handed a second gun, which, thanks to good video editing, she uses to down the animal in one shot.

But knowledgeable hunters would have all recoiled in horror watching Palin immediately place her finger on the trigger of the "hot" Savage 110 as it was handed to her. Keeping one's finger off the trigger until the very moment of the shot is the first lesson any responsible hunter ever learns.

But Palin's inexperience with guns is in no way more obvious than when she is handed the rifle and she asks, "Does it kick?" It was an exchange Brad Schlegel took note of, writing on Palin's Facebook wall, "'does the rifle kick' what kind of a question is that? Doesn't matter if it kicks or not you shoot it the same. That was a girly question momma griz."

It would behoove Palin real American opponents and supporters alike to remember that pretending to enjoy hunting is an American political tradition. Indeed, who can forget John Kerry, avid fowl hunter? Or this: "My father taught me how to shoot."

Of course, not everyone was convinced that the mystique of Palin as Alaskan hunter is a con job. In the tradition of justifying anything to preserve a dear illusion at any cost to reason, a commenter on Hannity's forum dismissed questions like so: "You'd have seen her dad take a tumble while caring the gun she used. He must have knocked the scope out of alignment." Another hunter in the 24 Hour Campfire forum reasoned, "I bet the producers of that show knocked that messed with the scope to make it more dramatic," while another theorized, "If I had to guess, it'd be someone on the set messed with her scope with promises of wealth to make her look stupid."

Update, regarding the wearing of orange. As former Governor of the state, Palin should know that Alaska's policy is that "Upland and big game hunters are strongly recommended to wear Hunter Orange."

http://www.theawl.com/2010/12/sarah-palin-the-tv-star-exposes-sarah-palin-the-fake-hunter
Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:26 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

I'm not going to lie, this was pretty funny:

FoxNews wrote:
GRETA: Governor, last night there was a lot of discussion about the Sputnik Moment the President wants us to have. Do you agree with him? Is this our moment?

PALIN: That was another one of those WTF moments, when he has so often repeated, the Sputnik Moment, that he would aspire Americans to celebrate, he needs to remember that what happened back then with the former communist USSR and their victory and that race to space, yeah, they won, but they also incured so much debt at the time that it resulted in the inevitable collapse of the Soviet Union so I listen to that Sputnik Moment talk over and over again and I think, no we don’t need one of those.

It's like the whole reference went way over her head.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:39 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Do we think she knows what "WTF" stands for?
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:50 pm
pedavis

exactly!
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:57 pm
phataccino

Is that an actual transcript? Jesus! She talks like a kid in school trying to bluff his way through a question he doesn't know the answer to. Or like that Miss South Carolina (or whatever it was) contestant. Good to know Obama is aspiring me.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:11 pm
PoetryBox

maybe palin knowns something we dont and just slipped her tongue.....hmmmmmmm

or shes just an idiot
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:14 pm
futuristxen

Bicycle wrote:
Bush wasn't a moron. Palin probably isn't either. These people are narcissistic megalomaniacs in the business of selling an image. They're tolerated because they come off as kinda cute and people don't hold you accountable for your actions if they think you're an idiot

Exactly. Palin has a particular kind of intelligence that enables her to pursue her megalomaniacal ends. She's like a genius shark. She's not a policy wonk or anything, but she knows how to sell herself and get what she wants. To go from what...ESPN reject to probably THE face/voice of the right in this country, does take a certain something.

She's a pop-politician. Pop-Star politics. Just like Bush was. Reagan too. People whose main function is the simplicity of their message combined with the appeal of their iconography.

I think to call her an idiot probably muddies this mark, and doesn't make it any easier to understand her.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:23 pm
breakfast

futuristxen wrote:

Exactly. Palin has a particular kind of intelligence that enables her to pursue her megalomaniacal ends. She's like a genius shark.

This is a brilliant analogy.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:56 pm
xGasPricesx

This will probably be pulled soon, so get it while it's hot.

Edit: Here's a link to an article about it as well: http://nba.fanhouse.com/2011/01/27/tracy-morgan-brings-tnt-pregame-show-to-halt-with-salute-to-sa/
Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:11 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next