View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

the mean
Certified O.G.

Olbermann fired!  Reply with quote  

Can't find any details yet.
Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:47 pm
Astro

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/21/133127294/olbermann-leaves-msnbc-ends-countdown?sc=fb&cc=fp
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:00 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Not feeling good about this at all. He spoke a truth you rarely see on TV. It's the only reason I started watching MSNBC. We'll see how long Maddow lasts.
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:04 am
neveragainlikesheep

Bad move MSNBC.
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:05 am
futuristxen

Meh. IMO he stopped serving the truth sauce in favor of the kind of dumb ass sensationalism I have no use for.

Maddow hedges toward that ground more and more which worries me, but for the most part I think Maddow does what Olberman set out to do like a thousand percent better.
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:25 am
Mikal kHill

futuristxen wrote:
Meh. IMO he stopped serving the truth sauce in favor of the kind of dumb ass sensationalism I have no use for.

Maddow hedges toward that ground more and more which worries me, but for the most part I think Maddow does what Olberman set out to do like a thousand percent better.

qft.
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:00 am
Mark in Minnesota

Comcast Voices blog:

Quote:

"Comcast has not closed the transaction for NBC Universal and has no operational control at any of its properties including MSNBC. We pledged from the day the deal was announced that we would not interfere with NBC Universal's news operations. We have not and we will not." Sena Fitzmaurice, Comcast spokesperson.

I want to know what financial incentives, if any, that NBCU executive staff had to get the operating budget under some target level prior to the conclusion of the merger.

Olbermann reportedly still has millions of dollars in salary left on that contract and will still be paid it. I want to know whether those checks will be coming from Comcast or from GE.

Dude's salary was somewhere near 2% of MSNBC's gross revenue. I would just be completely shocked to find out that this was about something other than money and the Comcast merger.
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:18 pm
Jared Paul

Where do you think he'll land?
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
xGasPricesx

Mikal kHill wrote:
futuristxen wrote:

qft.

Indeed.
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:33 pm
Mark in Minnesota

Jared Paul wrote:
Where do you think he'll land?

Probably that depends on whether or not he's inclined to take a pay-cut to stay as part of a national news organization. There are only really five of those in the country and I can't see the two that haven't yet fired him (CBS and CNN) being interested in courting him for a major deal, particularly not in the current political climate.

If staying in journalism isn't especially important to him, I could see him ending up somewhere on late night or on satellite radio, and I think HBO could maybe pick him up to do something that splits time between politics and sports the same way that Bill Maher splits time between politics and comedy -- perhaps even in the same time slot during Real Time's off-season.

My secret hope is that he will get Andy Rooney's 60 Minutes segment after Rooney's reanimated corpse decides to start spending more time with its family -- but like most of my secret hopes, that just ain't gonna happen.
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:48 pm
Bob_ptmfus

Go back to Sportscenter.
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:18 pm
Bob_ptmfus

Also, who's laughing now, Keith?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M0m_5TluJ-Y

(Sorry, I can't get this to embed for some reason)

I'm not a fan of Glenn Beck (who is, really?), but I have to give him credit for calling this one. That being said, [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/entertainment/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110122/ap_en_tv/us_tv_olbermann]this article[/url] has an anonymous NBC exec saying that the relationship between Olbermann and the network has been strained for some time, so money might not be the only issue here.
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:41 pm
Rob-Raz

I think Keith still fought the good fight. True, he may have been a bit overboard at times, but I think that drew in some viewers who may not have even given his show a second chance if not. The fact that he could spread at least a bit of truth, or dispell the latest FOX News lies to those who may have been clueless without watching his show seems worthwhile. I'm not saying there aren't better sources of info out there, its just that some folks are to lazy to seek them out. Curious to see where he goes next.
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:41 pm
Nahgied

Olbermann should embrace the internetz and have a sports/politics blog.
I have never encouraged blogging in the past, but I think this could be good.
Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:48 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

good riddance.

this pretty much sums up how i feel: http://www.salon.com/news/keith_olbermann/index.html?story=/politics/war_room/2011/01/22/stanage_olbermann
Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next