Search
Register
Feeding meat to children is child abuse?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

sarah q

Feeding meat to children is child abuse?  Reply with quote  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5axrO6nC98

Thoughts?

I'm personally not in favor of this guy, but due to a fight I picked earlier today with a group of vegans over this video, I'm just curious what your response is to it. Or to the idea in general.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:35 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

The word "cunt" comes to mind. Also "schmuck", for some reason.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:38 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

This guy comes across as unhealthy, out of touch, and possibly delusional. Vegans really need to work on that. Their cause is noble, but their approach and presentation is often...lousy.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:44 pm
PoetryBox

I cant see that video since I'm at work right now but reading that title makes me think I wont agree with that video. I have no problem with people who dont eat meat; some of my fam are vegiterian but I have a problem when people try to instigate their views on others. Its fine to explain why you dont eat meat or why people shouldnt but to make an outragous statement like that title is ridiculus.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:44 pm
Flossin

I think it's people like this that give vegetarians/vegans a bad name. This guy is like a bad stereotype.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:46 pm
Bicycle

Unlike most of you, this dude has met with real live pigs. He knows what he's talking about
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:47 pm
mzehe916

Sage Francis wrote:
This guy comes across as unhealthy, out of touch, and possibly delusional. Vegans really need to work on that. Their cause is noble, but their approach and presentation is often...lousy.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about this video.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:49 pm
Bicycle

This video has 32 views

This thread has 54 views

thats weird
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

What's funny to me is how someone could easily use this same style of loose reasoning to make a video about how forcing a child into being a vegan is child abuse.

I will say this though. I believe that the mass production of meat will need to end sooner than later. Or not. We can just continue destroying the earth while growing in population to an unsustainable level. That's the short and tall of it. I just don't want guys like this representing whatever side of the argument I'm standing on. I'll quietly sneak out of this conversation now.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Finn

Sage Francis wrote:

It's probably a little unfair to say that this guy represents the vegan crowd, but I agree: veganism does have a litle bit of an image problem. This guy, on his own, seems to be a little nuts, and this is actually one of the most sane videos on his Youtube account.

And yes, that's a ridiculous video title. I don't eat meat, but feeding meat to your kid is no more "child abuse" than, say, making innocent comments to your son asking him if there are any girls in his class he likes, because hey, your son might be gay, and you're really pyschologically abusing him by pushing him toward heterosexuality.

Everyone, though, should be exposed to the sources of their food, because to do so is to be responsible. It's irresponsible to act without understanding the consequences of those actions. That goes for anything you do. You shouldn't encourage your children to be ignorant of the consequences of their actions, but the vast majority of adults have no idea how they affect the world.

On the Rock The Bells DVD, Sage has this little interview clip where he says that people have been trained and conditioned to think that what they do doesn't matter, but the truth is that what people do does matter, often very much so. When I have kids, that's going to be one of the first things I tell them. What you do matters. What you eat matters.

On a related note, this video reminded me of this: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weightloss/2009-07-20-obesityboy_N.htm
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:03 pm
sarah q

My response was that comparing the woman to the KKK was unnecessary and that this kind of dialogues works against vegans rather than in favor of them. I feel like this guy is completing alienating himself and other vegans as well by taking such a militant approach. When I said this in a thread people basically responded with the idea that veganism is the only way and anything else is ignorant and advocating violence. I was kind of shocked (I don't know why) by how dogmatic all of their responses were and their unwillingness to even have a conversation about alternative types of ethical consumerism, such as reducing your consumption of animal products and only buying meat or animal products from local farms.

I mentioned that I'm generally supportive of vegans and veganism but that I felt like this type of dialogue and name calling pushes more people away than it draws. I cited the example of the conversation we were having and how it made me not want to associate with the group anymore to which they basically said "Bye".

I'm just dumbfounded that rather than reach out to omnivores and vegetarians who are friendly to the cause they were like "Nope, fuck you."

I just don't understand how anyone expects to grow a movement by alienating themselves from the general population.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:06 pm
Bicycle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyFWqVB9sE4

Dudes got great tasting vegan vagina juice
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:14 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I think letting children drink pop freely is abusive and neglectful... but I'm bitter.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:09 pm
selfworth

T-Wrex wrote:
I think letting children drink pop freely is abusive and neglectful... but I'm bitter.

i agree,that's just bad parenting in general. kids can't grow up thinking soda is a daily routine drink, it is a sometime thing and is never a caffeinated drink, at least in my house, that's the way we treat soda.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:14 pm
mancabbage

depends what you mean by meat
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:20 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next