Search
Register
Awol & Factor "Landmark" Pre-Order + video!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

SFR announcement

Awol & Factor "Landmark" Pre-Order + video!  Reply with quote  

Pre-Order here:
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/awol-one-factor-the-landmark-cd-preorder-p-440.html

All pre-orders will include an 11x17 Awol One & Factor Poster & a Sticker!

Los Angeles rapper Awol One is rumored to be over one thousand years old and every single one of those years can be heard within the cracks and subtleties of his voice and words. One may call him a crude poet, a drunken rambler, or a voice for slackers but nobody can deny that he's maintained an uncompromising level of honesty and originality on the mic. As a solo act and a member of The Shape Shifters for over 10 years Awol One has collaborated with everyone from Xzibit and Cypress Hill to Aesop Rock and KRS-One. Back in the early 2000s when journalists didn't quite know what to make of strange indie hip hop, Spin magazine tried to pin him down as one of the premiere voices of "emo-rap" while Vice Magazine and LA Weekly were singing the praises of his working man's anthems. His 2001 collaboration with Daddy Kev, Souldoubt, quickly became seen as a Los Angeles underground hip hop classic and Awol hasn't slowed down a bit.

Since 2006 Awol has been making records with Canadian prairie producer Factor who is known for his melodic psychedelic and folk influenced hip hop beats. Over the years this duo has released Only Death Can Kill You and Owl Hours - two very different types of albums from the same team. If 2007's Only Death was their birth and 2009's Owl Hours was their celebration of life, then 2011's The Landmark is their return back to harsh reality. On The Landmark Awol's words embody the drunken grittiness of life as a touring musician. Between mellow but catchy choruses and raw beautiful beats lie images of the bright highs and deep lows of a musician's manic depression. On the song "The Wasp" Awol sums it up perfectly when chanting "I lost my self esteem such a very long time ago, but I got back my self esteem just one rhyme ago." Over a thousand years later Awol One still manages to splatter himself all over these Factor canvases with a level of realism that very few other rappers have been able to capture on record.

TRACKLISTING
(01) Coming To Town
(02) Perfect Opposites
(03) Never Gonna Take Us Out (f. Ceschi)
(04) Frenemies
(05) The Wasp (f. Moka Only)
(06) Don’t Be Afraid
(07) People On Drugs
(08) Daze Go Bye (f. Buck 65)
(09) Rewind Yourself
(10) One Live Tape (f. Abstract Rude and Ahmad)
(11) Real Late
(12) Alive

Check out the video for "Never Gonna Take Us Out" featuring Ceschi!

***PRE ORDER SHIPPING INFORMATION***
Please read carefully! ALL pre orders will be held until the ship date. ALL other items in your shopping cart will also be held until the ship date. If you have items that you may want to receive sooner we suggest placing a separate order for those items.

Orders will ship on or before the release date of Tuesday, February 15, 2011.
Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:19 pm
Flossin

Song sounds good and I like Awol One but Ceschi kinda ruins it for me. Am I the only one who's not a fan of his voice/the way he talks?
Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 pm
Jack

hey ceshci has 10 fingers
Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:26 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Flossin,
I can't speak for everyone but I absolutely love his singing, guitar playing and lyrics. He's one of the artists I've become most excited about in the past couple of years. He's been around for as long as I have but he's just starting to come out of the gate in a major way. I have high hopes for everything he is involved with. I hope I get to get down on some tracks with him at some point.
Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:04 pm
remind

Sage Francis wrote:
I hope I get to get down on some tracks with him at some point.

Oh c'mon with the "I hope" shit. Stop being a tease.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:59 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Well, I met him in 1996. We have yet to do a song together. So...
yeah. I just hope it goes down this year.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:06 am
Shinigami

Ceschi was really the only enjoyable part of this song for me.

i kinda think Factor is a pretty overrated producer myself. i try to get into his stuff but i just don't think he's for me.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:06 pm
mattrego

I recently heard "Same Old Love Song" featuring Awol One, Ceschi and 2Mex. Ceschi's verse and Awols verse were good, but 2mex's verse in that destroyed any chance of listening to that song ever again without just listening to 2mex's verse and just skipping to the next song. I mean, just murdered it. I think it is called alliteration what 2mex did in that song, right? Whatever it is, just wow.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:29 pm
Flossin

mattrego wrote:
I recently heard "Same Old Love Song" featuring Awol One, Ceschi and 2Mex. Ceschi's verse and Awols verse were good, but 2mex's verse in that destroyed any chance of listening to that song ever again without just listening to 2mex's verse and just skipping to the next song. I mean, just murdered it. I think it is called alliteration what 2mex did in that song, right? Whatever it is, just wow.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Never heard it and checked it out after your post. Like this a lot. And I actually like Ceschi's verse a whole lot here. haha. Who knows, maybe he'll make a fan outta me after all. I'll look into some more of his stuff..
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:43 pm
mattrego

No problem. 2Mex killin it.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:49 pm
Woland

I really enjoy Factor's beats that I've heard. His work with Myka9 is wonderful.

I'm not the biggest fan of Awol One, but I quite enjoyed Owl Hours, so I'll probably buy this album too.

About Ceschi... he's done some GREAT things and is hugely talented, but I'm still waiting for an album that'll blow my mind. One Mand Band Broke Up had some really great parts and was definitely better than his previous albums (which were good, but inconsistent), but it still had me waiting for something more spectacular. The song Sleep is still a personal favorite of mine.
Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:00 am

Jump to: