Search
Register
Do you keep a gun in your bedroom?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

penelope

Do you keep a gun in your bedroom?  Reply with quote  

Do you feel safer with a gun to protect you from some potentially murderous-thief in the event of a breakin?

Do you lock your doors at night?

Is it culture or ideology?

I watched a show about how canadians don't lock their doors in downtown Toronto... but I recently had a conversation with two women here who not only lock all the doors but they keep loaded guns in their bedrooms because "there are lots of crazy people in the world". I was told "you just lay down and die then".

Does everyone here really live with the imminent fear that someone is going to break into their home to do terrible things to them and their families?

I consciously choose not to live in fear of something terrible happening... even if it were, I highly doubt, since the perps would have the element of surprise, that I would be in control of any situation and that, in fact, the simple presence of the gun might escalate the situation unnecessarily... and moreover, I'm convinced that the gun/ammunition in the house is more of an accident hazard. It probably seems obvious but I doubt I could actually shoot someone anyway...

What's the other side of the argument again?
Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 pm
Mr Jenkins

i've never known or heard of anyone that has a gun for protection
Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:12 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Mr Jenkins wrote:

Just out of curiosity...where do you live?
Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 pm
OM3N

Mr Jenkins wrote:

also, I don't remember you "penelope".

are you here to interlope?
Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 pm
Mr Jenkins

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
Mr Jenkins wrote:

Just out of curiosity...where do you live?

New Zealand... there’s a debate here at the moment whether our cops should carry guns…
Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:26 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

i keep one in my pillowcase.
it keeps me safe when i sleep, still i keep awake
Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:30 pm
Mr Jenkins

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:31 pm
iammessage

no.
Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 pm
theodora

Not worth it.
Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:39 pm
IAmNiki

There are two guns in the house I live in. I know where they are, and I know how to load them, but I have no idea how to really shoot them and I hope I never will. They are for protection purposes only and not my idea, but I don't mind them being there.
Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:12 pm
Dr Sagacious

My parents are Fort Knox type folk. The doors are locked always, even in broad daylight, and I'm sure if they could afford it; they'd get a gun. Which is weird, because they're generally liberal on almost everything.

Me, I'd keep my doors unlocked for most of the day. Though, I would have a huge ass dog; maybe a mastiff. Although security is not why I would have the dog. Heh.

I understand the fear that drives the almost obsessive compulsive stigma of keeping everything locked up and having firearms, however I can't get with that. Despite the fact that I've bought that shit with my money that I worked hard for. I don't really worry about it, especially in this area. You're most likely going to get robbed if you live in West Bloomfield (rich neighborhood) than you are in Redford, despite Redford's close proximity to Detroit.
Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:05 pm
Sarcastro

people in canada lock their doors, don't believe that nonsense. stupid bowling for columbine.

but no I don't know anyone that owns a gun, or maybe they're very secretive about it.
Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:51 pm
mindtoast

i find the murderously stinky free-range hippy in the apartment below opposite us keeps the criminal types away.
...visualise a scantily clad 60 year old man out the front of your house bouncing on a mini trampoline, loudly singing raggae out of key. for hours.

he's a good bloke.
Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:51 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

Locking your doors seems pretty basic...although, as my father says, if someone really wants to get in, they are going to get in. As far as a gun for protection goes, I've never considered it and only the most craziest of people I know believe such a thing. When we lived in the country, we had guns for protection from varmints that might be rabid and bite our dogs. Other than that? What's the point? Statistics they say show you are more likely to hurt a loved one than an intruder...if the intruder is unarmed or armed with a non-gun then what the fuck do you need a gun for...and if they are armed with a gun you are at a distinct disadvantage already...I dunno, just never bought it. I live in the quote-unquote rough neighborhood on the south side of my community. Fortunately I am one of those weird people who is not troubled or frightened by people of color but my parents still worry something will happen...even though statistically the college neighborhoods have more crime...
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:24 am
mzehe916

mindtoast wrote:
i find the murderously stinky free-range hippy in the apartment below opposite us keeps the criminal types away.
...visualise a scantily clad 60 year old man out the front of your house bouncing on a mini trampoline, loudly singing raggae out of key. for hours.

he's a good bloke.

Hahah Yes. I love that image!

I know people who actually use guns for protection against tweekers in the hills. That is an actual real threat. Tweekers are crazy. I don't like sleeping in rooms with loaded guns because I have a fear of them falling over and accidentally firing while I sleep. Guns belong in a gun safe.

I only lock my door now for insurance reasons. I can't claim it if I can't show a broken door.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:40 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next