Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Top Conspiracy Theories
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Author Message
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

If it affects the political discourse in any way (which is usually the case), conspiracy theories are just suck. There is not even any redeeming comic value in any of this shit. They are just lazy and very often dangerous compilations of Aristotelian "I think therefore it's true" nonsense that gains traction with stupid people every time it's repeated to them by some other stupid person somewhere else.

Everyone in America needs 1) literacy and 2) a subscription to Skeptical Inquirer magazine. Just for one year, to see what happens. Please?
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
C.R.A.Z.Y



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 2719
Location: Vote for me and i'll vote for you.
 Reply with quote  

breakreep you're such a blowhard. do you sit around and rehearse coming off in the most abrasive way possible? people will really learn a lot from you because of your accessible attitude. oh wait.

and the skeptical inquirer is not that great a magazine, but it makes you sound smart to name check it so oh well.

letting people think for themselves is dangerous isn't it? so many unsuitable ideas.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:13 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

I come here to vent, Crazy, not to educate. So no, I don't rehearse. Do you rehearse for your venting sessions? Sit in front of a mirror saying how much you hate things?

Besides, you're one of those middle-ground people that's happy for some science, scared of about as much other science. You've established that clearly enough in this forum. Of course I'm going to offend you. Or would you like me to rehearse my vents in a manner that tailors them to your liking?
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:15 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
C.R.A.Z.Y



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 2719
Location: Vote for me and i'll vote for you.
 Reply with quote  

breakreep wrote:
I come here to vent, Crazy, not to educate. So no, I don't rehearse. Do you rehearse for your venting sessions? Sit in front of a mirror saying how much you hate things?

Besides, you're one of those middle-ground people that's happy for some science, scared of about as much other science. You've established that clearly enough in this forum. Of course I'm going to offend you. Or would you like me to rehearse my vents in a manner that tailors them to your liking?


her we go again with breekreeps egotism. you dont offend me. you BORE me. and i am not afraid of science, i just see no need for some applications of science.

of course you would be arrogant enough to think you offend me. that's what i meant when i called you a blow hard.

i didnt know the forum wasn't for an informative discussion in which someone might learn something. next time you complain non stop about how ignorant to science people are, i will remember you have nothing to teach and that you are just venting.

plus i just don't like you. so i'm rarely going to like anything you say. and because i rarely like anything you say, i don't like you. it's a cycle.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

Replied before your edit so I didn't see the next bit.

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
and the skeptical inquirer is not that great a magazine, but it makes you sound smart to name check it so oh well.


Yeah, it's not great. That's because every issue is written by a hodgepodge of authors, some of them amazing writers, some of them shitty writers, some of them genius, some of them shitty thinkers. It is, however, the only magazine I know of dedicated to debunking bullshit like autism vaccines and American-planned 9/11s.

And uh, I "namechecked" (commonly called "mentioning" or, if you want to get technical, "referencing") it because I have a subscription to it, so it came readily to mind.


Quote:

letting people think for themselves is dangerous isn't it? so many unsuitable ideas.


No no no. You're misconstruing everything, probably intentionally, and probably for the sake of an argument. Science is all about making you think for yourself, and then testing those thoughts where possible. I'm all about science. Following the deductive method, I'm all about making you think for yourself, and then testing those thoughts where possible.

Conspiracy theorists do none of that. They read an article or meet some guy at a bar, hear about something that sounds a lot more sexy and exciting than a boring 9/11 Commission Report, and go research the fuck out of it from other sources that heard about it in the same way.

Then they fail to get basic engineering or medical or whatever educations--and with those the intellectual tools to test any of the claims they're making--and deny the consensus of experts.

The end result is shit like measles coming back to fucking first-world countries where it hasn't been seen in a statistically significant weight for decades. At that point it's no longer about you and your radically dangerous-to-the-system pothead friends "thinking for yourselves" (whatever the fuck you mean by that), it's a public concern of some kind or another.

Kind of like how saying people shouldn't burn libraries isn't the same as saying people shouldn't burn anything. Your counters here are both Red Herrings and Slippery Slopes rolled into one (Slippery Herrings?). But then, I already know that's how you roll, so whatever, Crazy. Your radical ideas are so Crazy! Fight your independently minded fight you brave radical.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:25 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
plus i just don't like you. so i'm rarely going to like anything you say. and because i rarely like anything you say, i don't like you. it's a cycle.


That's understandable. Should we talk about why you don't like me? Let's talk about your feelings, Crazy. I'll try not to bore you in the next post I write that I force you to read!
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:28 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
i didnt know the forum wasn't for an informative discussion in which someone might learn something.


Ah see another one of those Herrings! Silly, you didn't even read what I wrote. Besides, if you don't like what I have to say, why are you reading the things I say hoping to learn something? Even if you do, you're not going to like it! What a vicious circle!
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:30 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

Before I leave for dinner in a sec, I guess I should clarify something to you, Crazy, that seemed like it would have been glaringly obvious without clarification, which is that when I say I come here to vent, I mean it in the context of posts which contain nothing but the words "hate" and "suck" over and over, perhaps juxtaposed with a ridiculous statement about everybody in America being literate, let alone for an entire year (!).

On the other hand, sometimes I certainly intend to educate. These are typically circumstances wherein someone either posed me a question directly, or a question was posed in general that I feel confident to address, or I simply saw something in someone's post or article which I found false and decided to address without questioning. Such circumstances typically involve a detailed discussion from my end, or at least an article or two copy-pasted from some source or another that I trust.

Of course, sometimes the two modes blend together, as in the vaccine thread next to this one! This seems reasonable to me, as I lack a binary Mode1/Mode2 switch.

Maybe a good example of this final category would be in the Gliese thread, when I tried to (nicely? gently? politely? friendly-ly? pick your adjective) correct some misconceptions I saw in your post, and address some broader issues about the interesting topic at hand. I then wrote a tangential rant in that thread which had nothing to do with you, but was still full of educational material for the average person with no science background. You then attacked me for being a colonialist. Sound about right?

Forgive me if I don't really take you seriously, especially when all you ever seem to have to say in the first place is that you don't take me seriously.

Plus, you kind of generally just seem like you're pretty confused about whatever you happen to be talking about, even when it supposedly happened to you this morning on your daily commute through Wonderland.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

Back from dinner, which was lovely, and during which I discussed this thread for a moment with my brother. And I've realized, Crazy, that you have disliked me for a lot longer than I've been teasing you for being kind of scientifically illiterate. In fact I remember you saying, in a thread entirely about personal revelations, that you were mad at me.

Yet you didn't elucidate why then, and for the most part still haven't. Your excuse in this thread is that I'm arrogant and abrasive. Your excuse last time was that I was a colonialist. But what about before that?

If I remember right, the first interaction we ever had on this forum involved me making a general statement about how stupid some people were for thinking that the physical attractiveness of a woman literally influenced the value of her intellectual input, which you then implicitly agreed with, and we were like, yeah, we're on the same page.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and you think I'm the devil. So what's the problem here? Am I so antithetical to your very being that you can't stand a word I say, kind of like how I used to view mortalthoughts? Or do I really just bore you into a rage (which seems unlikely)?

I'm not trying to mollify you, or anything. But I realized while speaking with my brother that I've never gotten a consistent answer from you as to why you apparently hate everything I type, even when I (thought I) was politely explaining a concept you seemed interested in ala Gliese. Confusion results. If you care to explain, great. If not, well, not so great, but I'll have more reason to treat your posts as nonsense the next time you change the rationale behind your criticism of every post I make.

Also, I type fast and have no problem speaking my long-winded mind, so excuse the thread littering. I promise I don't have a secret stalker crush on you.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:10 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
PoetryBox



Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 452
Location: brampton, ON
 Reply with quote  

breakreep wrote:





Conspiracy theorists do none of that. They read an article or meet some guy at a bar, hear about something that sounds a lot more sexy and exciting than a boring 9/11 Commission Report, and go research the fuck out of it from other sources that heard about it in the same way.

Then they fail to get basic engineering or medical or whatever educations--and with those the intellectual tools to test any of the claims they're making--and deny the consensus of experts.

The end result is shit like measles coming back to fucking first-world countries where it hasn't been seen in a statistically significant weight for decades. At that point it's no longer about you and your radically dangerous-to-the-system pothead friends "thinking for yourselves" (whatever the fuck you mean by that), it's a public concern of some kind or another.

Kind of like how saying people shouldn't burn libraries isn't the same as saying people shouldn't burn anything. Your counters here are both Red Herrings and Slippery Slopes rolled into one (Slippery Herrings?). But then, I already know that's how you roll, so whatever, Crazy. Your radical ideas are so Crazy! Fight your independently minded fight you brave radical.


do you believe the 9/11 Commission Report? that nothing was left out?

I think your kinda misguided here, your idea of everyone who reads into conspiracies are like those people who live in shelters and dont believe in anything and that aliens are after them. I'm sure everyone who said they liked reading about conspiracy theories in this thread arent like what you just discribed, well maybe plum is. We're all skeptics to a degree, some people just read into these for kicks. You just did what you were arguing against, believing in claims where you have no facts on. Your presumption of people is what makes you from a a good skeptic to one blinded by their own ego and intellegence. Its easier, and feels better, to disprove people then to actually look for the truth.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:22 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Plum Puddin'



Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 1772
Location: Barter Town
 Reply with quote  

They're here, they've always been here.

And this spring; they're coming to a theatre near YOU!

So now it's a 'false flag' alien attack thats gonna happen?

I was still waiting for holographic jesus to appear on a cloud.

:(
Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:56 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

PoetryBox wrote:

do you believe the 9/11 Commission Report? that nothing was left out?

I think your kinda misguided here, your idea of everyone who reads into conspiracies are like those people who live in shelters and dont believe in anything and that aliens are after them. I'm sure everyone who said they liked reading about conspiracy theories in this thread arent like what you just discribed, well maybe plum is. We're all skeptics to a degree, some people just read into these for kicks. You just did what you were arguing against, believing in claims where you have no facts on. Your presumption of people is what makes you from a a good skeptic to one blinded by their own ego and intellegence. Its easier, and feels better, to disprove people then to actually look for the truth.


Have you read the report? It does a pretty good job covering the technical mishaps involved in the fall.

Further, I'm 'believing in claims I have no facts on' because those claims are made consistently by a consensus of experts trained in a relevant field. You are being silly if you think that carrier no wait. Further, I'm a physics major and therefore perfectly willing to believe that some superheated steel bent than that bombs where planted in American buildings by an American president.

Finally, I was never addressing the people who read about this stuff for kicks. I was addressing those who sincerely believe it and make it a part of the accepted public discourse.
Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:09 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real


Joined: 03 Feb 2006
Posts: 6278
Location: airstrip one
 Reply with quote  

Ahahah breakreep tearin' it up in hurr.
Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:29 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
firefly



Joined: 27 Sep 2002
Posts: 3990
Location: Montreal
 Reply with quote  

breakreep wrote:
Further, I'm a physics major and therefore perfectly willing to believe that some superheated steel bent than that bombs where planted in American buildings by an American president.


Explain the physics on how 2 planes can take down 3 towers? The small bit of fire on B7 was hardly enough to cause that spectacular controled demolition type fall.

It's funny how noone can explain why tower 7 fell and when you bring it up people seemed to get pissed like "oh, not building 7 again". I guess it's frustrating when you don't have the answers to ease your own pre-established ideas of things.
Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:45 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mancabbage



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 9208
Location: london
 Reply with quote  

humans are humans, when you have a big secret its natural to want to spill it. The amount of people that would have had to have been clued into a job as big as blowing up those towers for shits and giggles would be waaaaaaayy to big to keep it all undercover. Its that simple really
Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:04 am
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon