Search
Register
publisher removing "nigger" from Twain books
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

redball

My guess was so much more fun, though. All of the fun has drained out of life in the last few weeks. I feel like a flock of birds before the rapture.

Honestly, MP3D, I can't understand your motivation for posting here. It's not that you're not welcome here, it's just that you become the whipping boy so often and you really don't seem to enjoy that stance.
Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:18 pm
MP3D
Straaaange FAMOUS!

just by the same tired people. same tired insults.

honestly i dont enjoy posting here lately. the forum has gone from a really fun waste of time to just a waste of time. creature of habit though i guess. there are only a few regular posters here now, so the diversity and wonder is gone. i cant say anything without the mean or somebody saying im worthless. haha. so predictable.
Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:56 pm
xGasPricesx

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
What's wrong with the one we already have?

I lol'd.
Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:32 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
Can we remove the N-word from the title of this thread? It's making me wince every time I see a topic reply notification in my email inbox.

Why do you wince? This is what we're talking about right?
Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:51 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

MP3D wrote:

honestly i dont enjoy posting here lately. the forum has gone from a really fun waste of time to just a waste of time. creature of habit though i guess. there are only a few regular posters here now, so the diversity and wonder is gone. i cant say anything without the mean or somebody saying im worthless. haha. so predictable.

i think you're the only person on this board who takes infowars seriously. if you post something along those lines people will probably make fun of you.
Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:03 am
neveragainlikesheep

I can understand how this is a difficult book to teach to high school kids. I think it might be appropriate to change the word at that level. It's odd that this would be an issue for college educated people, though I can understand the emotions that such language brings up.

High school kids should read this book, but they should have teachers help them focus in on what Twain's message was and why this novel is so crucial to understanding where we have been.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:03 am
PoetryBox

MP3D wrote:

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:47 am
Captiv8

It would be more productive to discuss the books the way they were originally written, and then apply issues of censorship and racism. Get the students thinking, and get an open dialogue about the cultural significance of Twain. The most important part is that -- if this process starts -- think of all the other books that would need to be changed. I don't agree with that. Leave them as they were, and discuss rather than conceal. Replacing words is like a rhetorical euphemism.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:29 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5