Search
Register
Massive bird and fish die off in Arkansas
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

phataccino

I live smack in the middle of the Pacific flyway and near a lake, so I've got birds galore in my area, including massive amounts of bald eagles. A couple years ago there were so many in town they were like pigeons. It was nothing to see more than a dozen in a day. As it is now, I generally see at least one a day this time of year, often more. They lose a little mystique when you see them eating garbage and road kill and acting like seagulls, but still pretty cool. Big ass birds of prey are always impressive.
Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:57 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

crash wrote:
it was 12/19 to be precise. actually not in NJ, because i remember pumping the gas. i think it was somewhere on 84 between boston and hartford.

That's weird. It's a dead ringer for a Broad-Winged but that would be a pretty unusual sighting. Unusual enough the local Audobon there would probably be interested to know of it. Juvenile Cooper's Hawks and Sharp-Shinned would be similar in color but those are accipters, more slightly built hawks. This guy is blocky. Head, breast shape, talons, tail all say buteo. I'm pretty positive on that one.
Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:03 pm
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

interesting. he let me get about 10 feet away from him before he flew away, so maybe he was a little bit crazy.
Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:18 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

medicineman wrote:
Zagadka is that the bird you saw or is that a Harrier picture you looked up? Behavior wise, that sounds Harrier-like. They often fly very low to the ground near forest edges or woods of medium thickness...they rarely soar, they are lurkers, like owls that hunt in the daytime.

And you're quite right the owl outside your window probably was wooing indeed! Courtship is already well underway for many species of owls...couples will be incubating eggs very soon. Owls breed very early in the season so that they when spring proper begins and rabbits and such are emerging and beginning to make babies they can take full advantage of the easy hunting to feed their hatchlings.

Yay, bird thread! *Sniff* I thought this day would never come...

I know, birds! BIIIIRDS!

Sadly I didn't have time to even think about getting my phone out. I was just awestruck with this thing. I'm glad you're backing up my thought on it being a harrier, all morning I was obsessively trying to figure out what it was. Based on where it was, what it looked like, I'm pretty sure its a Harrier. It was so beautiful.

The owl made me hunt down what indeed it was, too. I have lived in that house (in the middle of a prairie) for hmmm....13 years now? And this is the second owl I have ever heard. Last year it was around the same time, only it was at night during a full moon with snow on the ground. It was probably one of the most haunting and beautiful things I have ever witnessed. I opened my window and sat with a blanket listening to it for a while. GHOs are so neat.

When I was little, I lived next to a swampy area that had an old dead tree in it. One day that tree fell and we found a bunch of baby owls in it, but they died from the fall. I remember my dad being really upset because they were Barn Owls...

BIRDS!!!

We build Bluebird houses and chase away the Starlings and other jerks that try to rob their cribs. Every year we have quite a few of them. We also get lots of hummingbirds....and hummingbird moths.

BIRDS!!!
Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:24 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

crash wrote:
interesting. he let me get about 10 feet away from him before he flew away, so maybe he was a little bit crazy.

Massachusets Audubon feels its a juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk. That does indeed seem more likely. It just seems awfully small to me...but I assume their Science Coordinator is a shade more expert than I.
Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:35 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

more dead birds.

:(
Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:25 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5