Search
Register
Massive bird and fish die off in Arkansas
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=call-of-the-reviled

i didn't realize the starlings caused the disappearance of the bluebird. my dad used to always point them out to me when we were driving in the countryside or walking in the woods, with the obligatory, "when i was your age, bluebirds where everywhere. but these days...."

we also used to play the "find the hawk" game while driving down the highway, especially in the winter and early spring when the lack of foliage makes them more visible. i saw a bald eagle perched on a tree off 66 in VA around this time last year (i still play the game myself when i'm bored in the car).

i have a feeling that when i get older i'm going to get into birds. it's one of those things like graffiti, architecture, or geomorphology where a decent amount of knowledge on the topic can really enrich your understanding of your environment. everywhere you go there are birds doing their thing, so understanding what they do just gives you one more layer of reality to examine and understand. and when you leave the environment you're familiar with you still notice that layer of information, even if its foreign to you. if you spend a enough time in that new environment you pick up on the patterns in the information and you start to understand the new system.

that to me is the best kind of knowledge. the sort that makes being in the world a richer more fascinating experience. it's like adding another channel to your mind-TV.
Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:50 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

crash wrote:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=call-of-the-reviled

i didn't realize the starlings caused the disappearance of the bluebird. my dad used to always point them out to me when we were driving in the countryside or walking in the woods, with the obligatory, "when i was your age, bluebirds where everywhere. but these days...."

we also used to play the "find the hawk" game while driving down the highway, especially in the winter and early spring when the lack of foliage makes them more visible. i saw a bald eagle perched on a tree off 66 in VA around this time last year (i still play the game myself when i'm bored in the car).

i have a feeling that when i get older i'm going to get into birds. it's one of those things like graffiti, architecture, or geomorphology where a decent amount of knowledge on the topic can really enrich your understanding of your environment. everywhere you go there are birds doing their thing, so understanding what they do just gives you one more layer of reality to examine and understand. and when you leave the environment you're familiar with you still notice that layer of information, even if its foreign to you. if you spend a enough time in that new environment you pick up on the patterns in the information and you start to understand the new system.

that to me is the best kind of knowledge. the sort that makes being in the world a richer more fascinating experience. it's like adding another channel to your mind-TV.

I'm sure the decline of the bluebird has had a number of factors involved. Despite the great success of several invasive species here, the native species that are declining seem to mainly be the result of a patchwork of complex human factors; habitat loss, pesticides, changing prey locations and behavior, physical infrastructure itself. Unlike the highly adaptable starling and house sparrow, most birds require a very particular set of conditions to thrive. Only a few birds can actively adapt to new diets and habitats; most occupy a particular niche in a spectacularly complex system we're only beginning to understand. As these habitat niches grow smaller so too, inexorably, will populations. Unfortunately it's probably too late for some species, like the Prairie Chicken and the Sage Grouse; the California Condor, which is truly a relic of a bygone age of the world. The Eastern Bluebird, the Bobolink, the Meadowlark, will very likely continue to decline. Others like the Bald Eagle and the Osprey have shown a remarkable resurgence with a little nudge in the right direction! Life is tenacious but life is also very fragile...

In any case, I would encourage you to learn more. You're absolutely right that your understanding and appreciation of the world will be forever enriched thereby. The Audubon Society is a great resource and their magazine is pretty worthwhile. Maybe pick up a field guide. Kenn Kaufman writes some great entry-level field guides that are both easy to use and very informative. There are also probably a number of field guides for your more specific area, wherever that might be, the mid-East Coast, or even just Virginia.
Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:15 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

T wrex you should join the audubon society.

i have awesome binoculars, one digital and one long distance and there's a flower sanctuary here in uptown and i go birdwatch there, as well as in loring park ...amazing sights to see if you know where to point your lenses.

there are books available on the birds specific to every region so that way when Y2K strikes, and you can't access whatbirddotcom you'll still be up to snuff on all the cool birds.

Last edited by C.R.A.Z.Y on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:30 pm
Dan Shay

I miss the look the crows make in the trees in Loring Park this time of year. Black, ominous leaves.
Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:08 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

Dan Shay wrote:
I miss the look the crows make in the trees in Loring Park this time of year. Black, ominous leaves.

I am so glad you reminded me of Loring in the Winter. That is my fav thing, esp when it is full of holiday lights, and the horse carriage is out and people are ice skating. I haven't been there once since summer. I'm making it my business to go tomorrow though Dan Shay! And I'll tell you all about it. Unless I fall through the ice.

on the subject of the birds i just read somewhere that it was powerlines that killed the birds. i don't know how likely that is...sounds fishy to me.
Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:47 am
leifkolt

I wouldn't be surprised or shocked if some whistle blower science agency came out and proved that these deaths were related to the oil spill in the gulf.
Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:31 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

leifkolt wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised or shocked if some whistle blower science agency came out and proved that these deaths were related to the oil spill in the gulf.

Dude, they're on it already. In this thread.
Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:53 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

leifkolt wrote:

I would be extremely surprised.
Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:02 pm
anomaly
Loserface

medicineman wrote:
leifkolt wrote:

I would be extremely unsurprised if this had or hadn't happened. That or the total opposite. All depends, really. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty positive I wouldn't, for the most part.
Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:29 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

anomaly wrote:
medicineman wrote:
leifkolt wrote:

I would be extremely unsurprised if this had or hadn't happened. That or the total opposite. All depends, really. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty positive I wouldn't, for the most part.

What?
Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:32 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Exactly. The internet is now closed.
Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:53 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
T wrex you should join the audubon society.

I don't think any society wants me to join 'em..
Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:33 pm
mancabbage

more

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12118839
Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:20 am
benjy compson

crash wrote:

certainly. emulating roger tory peterson's career
in ornithology isn't necessary --- just an ongoing,
reflexive appreciation for & understanding of them is enough
to enhance your overall awareness of everything around you

plus, bird nerddom has an inherent zenlike quality --- which
may, unfortunately, annoy & repulse the sh*t
out of your partner & others around you when you're hiking
a semi arid trail & you argue w/ yourself --- out loud ---
about whether or not the call you keep hearing
belongs to a bush tit or a similarly built & sounding verdin

but back to the main topic at hand:

mancabbage wrote:

if this tragedy is happening in disparate places, something
has to be up --- pre-armageddon festivities or not
Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:25 am
medicineman
HALFLING

benjy compson wrote:

mancabbage wrote:

if this tragedy is happening in disparate places, something
has to be up --- pre-armageddon festivities or not

Still not convinced.

crash wrote:

looks to me like it was a rather extraordinary event with the blackbirds and the rest of the stories are just run of the mill kills that people are noticing due to the increased attention.

What, is it just affecting corvids? That just happen to be in such tight concentrations right now? And that experience these die-offs sometimes in winter?
Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:39 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next