Search
Register
Makeshift Patriot song cut short cause of manager
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Atreyu

tommi teardrop wrote:
My lady is a bartender and we skip Dave Mathews Band on the regular.

Respect.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:33 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Solution:

Don't go to bars.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:00 pm
box johnson

the mean wrote:
Solution:

Don't go to bars.

Certainly not for the music. That's the fatal flaw in this whole discussion. Who goes to a bar to hear great music from a jukebox?
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:33 pm
Confidential

Sweet Caroline doesn't get skipped. I learned that from a friend of mine when she said, I'm going to pick some songs. And five minutes later the bar was all in on the "bum bum buum." Try it out.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:43 pm
xGasPricesx

Confidential wrote:
Sweet Caroline doesn't get skipped. I learned that from a friend of mine when she said, I'm going to pick some songs. And five minutes later the bar was all in on the "bum bum buum." Try it out.

Quoted for truth.

There is a dueling pianos bar out here that I end up at when it's pretty much any one of my friend's birthdays. Every single time I've been there they have played Sweet Caroline, and every single time the place goes crazy for it. As sick as the piano player guys there must be of playing that song, they probably still love it just because their tip jar will be about twice is full once the song is over.

Drunk people love Sweet Caroline.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:55 pm
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair

tommi teardrop wrote:
Sometimes it is just not the right time and place to play Gimme the Loot.

When is it ever not the right time or place to play "Gimme the Loot"?

Either way, I completely agree that the staff has the right to skip songs (as long as funds are compensated). But unless it greatly threatens the vibe of the capacity-filled bar, I really think people need to stop getting so butt-hurt over jukebox picks.

I understand if it's Saturday night at 11:30, the bar is filled with bikers and rednecks and some artsy dude picks 10 Bjork and Imogen Heap songs where nothing but mouths and vocoders were used for each 16-17 minute long experimental ballad. But one fucking Sage song at a wings spot? Get over yourself cunt face. It's bad business to just shut someone down 30 seconds into a song, because the groove doesn't feel initially right (to you).

So yeah, the employees have that right. But it's disappointing to see that right be so frequently exercised and with such venomous haste. The same Rehab and Lincoln Park songs are gonna get old after a while. Try opening your minds a little bit cocksuckers.

Also, if the bar only has 12 people, and 8 of those 12 people are sharing a couple booths, and simultaneously enjoying Rich Boy being played on the jukebox together, I reckon you allow them to pick their jukebox songs, serve their drinks with a fucking smile on your face, and collect your tips when they leave.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:36 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

xGasPricesx wrote:
Confidential wrote:

Quoted for truth.

There is a dueling pianos bar out here that I end up at when it's pretty much any one of my friend's birthdays. Every single time I've been there they have played Sweet Caroline, and every single time the place goes crazy for it. As sick as the piano player guys there must be of playing that song, they probably still love it just because their tip jar will be about twice is full once the song is over.

Drunk people love Sweet Caroline.

I'm pretty sure Margaritaville and Brown-Eyed Girl also get the 100% free pass.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:47 am
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

I fucking HATE Jimmy Buffet. HAAAAAAAATE.

You can blame my Uncle Mullet and his need to take over the cd player at every single family gathering to put it on (or the Beach Boys, which he has similarly ruined). That, coupled with the image of him in short, short, short cut off jeans with the fringe dangling in the breeze.

This is the same man who put in the BBs at the family picnic and plugged in his amp so he could quietly strum on his guitar and sing along until my grandpa unplugged that shit and he pouted in the corner all "no one in this family appreciates a musician".

No. No Uncle Mullet. No one appreciates your dictatorship over the music selection.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:06 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

medicineman wrote:
service without recompensation

I need to save you from yourself.

"Recompensation" isn't an appropriate word to use here. It's not even really a word, and it sounds incredibly awkward. Use "recompense" or "compensation" instead; those are both real words whose sounds please the ear of the native English speaker.

Refridgerator.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:15 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

zagadka wrote:
I fucking HATE Jimmy Buffet. HAAAAAAAATE.

You can blame my Uncle Mullet and his need to take over the cd player at every single family gathering

We must be related. My uncle (with a mullet) was a Jimmy Buffet freak. In fact, I think a lot of my family were or are "parrot heads." That's mainly because they like to sit at the beach, drink margaritas and do whatever Jimmy Buffet tends to sing about. I remember my dad coming home from a Jimmy Buffet concert and telling me that Jimmy Buffet gave a speech about how "rap is crap." He thought I would think that was funny I guess. But as a kid, all it did was push me further away from whitey culture.

My uncle passed away about 10 years ago but just this year we had to clean out his room. I now have Jimmy Buffet records in my collection. I put them next to the Public Enemy and X Clan albums.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:48 pm
mzehe916

I hate Jimmy Buffet because he sings songs that make people put their hands over their heads in shark fin fashion and then tells them to go left and right. Buffet doesn't make for good Jukebox bombing because there is too much collateral damage.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:59 pm
anomaly
Loserface

I miss the days of the analog jukebox. Why? It defined the bar you were at and the people you were going to be around.

It's what seperated the assholes from us. Now we all have to intermingle and it's fucked.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:53 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

breakreep wrote:
medicineman wrote:

"Recompensation" isn't an appropriate word to use here. It's not even really a word, and it sounds incredibly awkward. Use "recompense" or "compensation" instead; those are both real words whose sounds please the ear of the native English speaker.

Refridgerator.

Furniture.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:58 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

breakreep wrote:
medicineman wrote:

Refridgerator.

You really think "recompense" some less awkward than "recompensation"?

I was fully aware of its unwordliness. I chose it anyway.

You know what else should be a word? "Clapter"

Like, laughter, except it's clapping?

A light sprinkling of clapter swept through the crowd.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:22 pm
X the Outsider

Jukebox>karaoke

If I ever drunk college girls singing "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" again, I'll fricking kill someone. Every single night all summer long.

Anyways they have the right to refuse to play whatever song they want. Don't go the bar trying to get your politics on. If you want to listen to Sage and drink do it at home.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:32 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next